Galapagos islands

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Off to the Galapagos in a months time. I have a fairly good idea of what shots I would like to aim for but any ideas would be welcome. Things I may not have thought of etc from anyone that has been. It is an 8 day boat trip arou d the islands so I don't have complete freedom of times etc so i need to be pre prepared mentally to get my shots in somewhat limited time.

fipps

CR Pro
Sep 24, 2018
Congratulations (I am somewhat envious) - we did a boat trip in 2014 and it is a memorable experience.

Generally speaking a boat trip makes your life so much easier - park authorities ensure that at any given time there is only one (max two) groups on any one landing point so you will be virtually alone (depending on the size of your group). The downside is that schedule is very strict (boats being registered out of their allotted slots get into trouble so they will make sure that you get back in time). Nevertheless we never felt rushed, on the contrary there was enough time for taking every photograph I wanted.

Next, although you are surely aware, animals generally have no fear of humans as there are hardly any natural predators around (except for small birds and small fish). I would therefore strongly recommend going rather wide as it gives you very unusual shots with wild animals. If you are looking for some birds/BIF you might want to take some longer lens (I had a 400mm with me which I hardly used but the 70-200 got lots of use).
If you have an underwater housing I would definitely take it (again on the wide side; I also took my 100mm macro which I used only once). Scuba diving would be great (yet mostly not possible on the standard boats) but even on a scheduled boat trip there are lots of opportunities for snorkelling. Iguanas and seals are so much fun under water (even very close to the surface). My best shots are from our trip are underwater.

Enjoy! Ping me if you have more questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Cheers for the tips. A lot of what I have researched has led me to the same conclusions re focal length. Will mainly have the 10-20, 24-70 2.8 and the 70-200 2.8. I am going to take a 2x extender for the occasions i need a bit more reach but i assume it wont get a massive run. I don't have an underwater housing so will rely on a go pro for the snorkeling shots. The obvious subject will be seals, iguanas, crabs, flamingos, boobies etc and very much hoping to get some penguins to add to my collection of Antarctic penguin shots. Are there likely to be some lesser known subjects around that I haven't thought about?

Upvote 0