Getting closer with 100L - use diopter? extension tube? both? other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to solicit thoughts and opinions about how to use a 100L at less than 1 foot distance [edit] or perhaps same working distance but greater magnification.

My guess is a diopter on front or extension tube on back or maybe both?

Please chime in if you have a solution and can comment about the pros and cons!

LOL, maybe the right answer is MP65 but not ready to go there just yet...

privatebydesign said:
...Very basically the broad idea is if you are shooting static subjects with a tripod then the tube is better, AF and shutter speed are not factors. If you are handheld or needing AF then the diopter is better...

Will be the latter in 99% of the cases. Any guidance on diopter strength for this particular lens?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Ideally, a 1.4X TC would be my choice. Unfortunately, the best TC that physically fits (Kenko 1.4X DGX is known to lockup the 5D MK III. I was able to confirm this the hard way)
I was able to use it with AF and a shorter extension ring. I handhold the lens, so I had to hold my breath and be very still.
5D MK II, 100mmL f/10 ISO 800 and a substantial crop.

bumble%20bee%20spring%202011-2-L.jpg

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Ideally, a 1.4X TC would be my choice. Unfortunately, the best TC that physically fits (Kenko 1.4X DGX is known to lockup the 5D MK III.

I actually tried the Kenko with my 5D2 and the 100L but it had a nasty centering (or similar) issue. One entire side of the frame was OOF while the other side good.

How about the Canon vIII TC's for this? I need to get one for my 70-200 anyway.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.