give us a wave

Jan 29, 2011
3kramd5 said:
privatebydesign said:
3kramd5 said:
Not water I'd care to find myself in...

That looks like Sombrero, and nobody goes to Sombrero! Maybe another Caribbean Atlantic coast?

North east Curacao

Right angle, but not really an Atlantic coast! Never got to the ABC's, only to Trinidad and Tobago and St Vincent and the Grenadines that far South.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
privatebydesign said:
3kramd5 said:
privatebydesign said:
3kramd5 said:

That looks like Sombrero, and nobody goes to Sombrero! Maybe another Caribbean Atlantic coast?

North east Curacao

Right angle, but not really an Atlantic coast! Never got to the ABC's, only to Trinidad and Tobago and St Vincent and the Grenadines that far South.

Impressive call nonetheless.

I've not been to A nor B, but can't recommend C unless you're a diver. The water is phenomenal, but the land is arid (except the north east), desolate, and littered with half-completed structures. It may be worth going to if it's not a pain, but I am from California and I won't be back unless with dive buddies.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
3kramd5 said:
privatebydesign said:
3kramd5 said:
privatebydesign said:
3kramd5 said:

North east Curacao

Impressive call nonetheless.

I've not been to A nor B, but can't recommend C unless you're a diver. The water is phenomenal, but the land is arid (except the north east), desolate, and littered with half-completed structures. It may be worth going to if it's not a pain, but I am from California and I won't be back unless with dive buddies.

Oh yes, I am a diver. I had a very interesting though not very varied diving career mostly in the Northern Caribbean. Saba has the best diving I did in the Caribbean, though I used to take trips out to Sombrero which is also very good if you can dodge the swell as it is so exposed , I believe I worked for the only company that ever ran trips out there and the Anguilla government has pretty much shut that down now.

I have thread the "eye of the needle" and done the swim through on Shark Shoal at 180', those were the days!

If I lived on the West Coast nothing would bring me East to dive, not the Caribbean, not the Red Sea, nothing, it would have to be your local cold water, though I am not a cold water diver, and all the Pacific opportunities going round to Indonesia.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
privatebydesign said:
If I lived on the West Coast nothing would bring me East to dive, not the Caribbean, not the Red Sea, nothing, it would have to be your local cold water, though I am not a cold water diver, and all the Pacific opportunities going round to Indonesia.

I've done most of my diving locally. The kelp forests are pretty, but I'm mostly a wreck diver, and the Los Angeles area is littered with them. Since becoming a father I've had to stop the deep (helium costs have gotten out of hand - breathing gas and diesel for a two dives on a wreck like the Sacramento will cost as much as trip to Cozumel) dives, which means the really cool wrecks are out of my reach these days.

The red sea looks amazing (again, I count wrecks as my passion), but Chuuk is better. My bucket list includes Bikini, but that's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Upvote 0
I used to live on the Atlantic coast - MA & FL, but now I'm on the Gulf coast, so this is as big a wave as you're likely to see short of a hurricane :(

_MG_6525_ID-L.jpg

Upvote 0