Godox PB960 with canon 600ex rt

We are one of the few wedding photographers in Adelaide that uses flash in almost all section of any weddings. have a look at our recent blog/ website if u like

i get the most battery power for my 600ex-rt, i bought a Godox Pb960 last month and supply power to my 600ex.
last Sat, at a wedding, it "exploded" and i smell smoke coming out from the Godox unit. i did not multiple fire the flash. i switch everything off and it seems the flash is still working. i saw that the connecting cable seems to have been burnt. i tried to turn on the Godox and its not working.

anyone had such experience before?

Scott

P

Pookie

scottgoh said:
We are one of the few wedding photographers in Adelaide that uses flash in almost all section of any weddings. have a look at our recent blog/ website if u like

i get the most battery power for my 600ex-rt, i bought a Godox Pb960 last month and supply power to my 600ex.
last Sat, at a wedding, it "exploded" and i smell smoke coming out from the Godox unit. i did not multiple fire the flash. i switch everything off and it seems the flash is still working. i saw that the connecting cable seems to have been burnt. i tried to turn on the Godox and its not working.

anyone had such experience before?

Scott

Hi Scott...

I'm also a professional wedding/portrait photographer that uses similar powered units... almost exclusively. I have been using my strobes in wedding settings for almost 10 years. I own and use Elinchrom Rangers and Quadra's in addition to a Profoto B1 three light kit.

I have seen this happen before with Godox and Elinchrom Quadra's. It has never happened with mine but I have fellow photogs that have experienced this with a total failure in 2 Godox sets and one Elinchrom Quadras. All of them have required motherboard replacements and the root cause of failure is a pin in the connection cable between the control unit and flash heads. If the pins are loose and provide intermittent connections a short will occur. The Elinchrom Quadra failure occurred when an assistant failed to properly seat the connection and it came off during a shoot.

Not sure if this is your cause but it does sound eerily familiar (smoke and explosion). On a side note, this is why I have recently gone with Profoto B1 as there is little chance of this happening with that unit.

Upvote 0