Godox Witstro 360 flash with HHS

i just use my phottix odin controller on the camera and the phottix strato II reciever on the godox
job done...

I tried the godox controller in the store but since i'm already invested in phottix stuff there was no point seriously considering it

you just set the flash to HSS set the Odin to HSS and set the groups and channels and it works

this is a seriously powerful portable flash. its easily more powerfull than 3 speed lights in a single box and more protable and compact than 3 speedlights too

Also its recycle time is super quick

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I bought the 360 today, and I have no triggers anymore, so I bought the kit that let's me control power output remotely and another Cells xc1 something or other to do HSS. The non-HSS is not supported by the 5d3, but a friend uses the HSS vertion for the 5d3 and I was told it works for the 1dx also.

Backorder two weeks so I'll have a loooong wait before I can try it out.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
I have the Godox Witsto 360 and trigger with Phottix Odin for HSS with 1D4 & 5D3. But the unwelcome shock came with the overheat-protection circuit cutting in after just 12-15 full-power shots in quick succession which required a ten minute cool-down. You can continue to shoot but with a seemingly eternal eight seconds recycle time. The manual states that you get 75 full power shots in quick succession before the overheat-protection circuit cuts in, but that's in the non-HSS setting. For the way I shoot, this seemed like enough to give up and on-sell.

However, miracle of miracles. I did a firmware update on the Odins and accidentally forgot to put the 360 on HSS setting, and started shooting at 1000/sec. Guess what? Perfect HSS sync, and no overheat-protection circuit cut-in. Phottix Odins are legend for delivering the unexpected. They really are amazing.

This finding is sufficient for me to go ahead and order two more 360's to achieve really nice HSS light shaping rather than simple full-sun daylight killing fill.

I never received an instruction manual with my 360. They're so simple to operate, you really don't need one. But I didn't know about the overheat-protection switch until I got hold of a manual. Here's a link to the manual for the identical Cheetah 360:

http://www.cheetahstand.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/CL-360-instruction-manual.pdf

-pw

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Just out of curiosity, are other Godox/Cheetahstand 360 users finding the same thing where the overheat-protection cuts in after a dozen or so full power pops in HSS mode?

Mine will fire 60-70 full power pops in standard non-HSS mode before the battery overheat-protection cuts in. It simply stops delivering power to the flash until it cools. In HSS mode it's the flash overheat-protection that kicks in after just a dozen pops.

If it's just mine doing this, I have no doubt my dealer will exchange it for a new one.

Upvote 0
the cheapest way to achieve HSS with ADs seems to be with:

YN 622C-TX on camera

YN 622C for the strobe (at least sync cable works. dont know if hot shoe does it, but the flash unit may be so heavy that pc cord seems to be safer.)

you could use a couple of 622C, but with around 2/3 stops less. the advantage of 622C-TX is to adjust the timing so that you get the best power output of the flash duration.

got that infos on lightning rumors and flash havoc since I have no money to spend on AD360 yet and make tests, but my set of 4 x 622C + 1 x 622C-TX is already waiting for it

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Godox's own low cost Cells-II trigger will deliver HSS capacity to AD-180 & AD-360 flashes.
http://flashhavoc.com/godox-v850-witstro-radio-trigger-alternatives/
http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/godox-wireless-flash-transceiver-cells-ii-c-for-canon-supports-hss-up-to-1-8000s.html

Like Wickidwombat I trigger my AD-360 with the almost freaky Phottix Odin. I also get perfect HSS using this with the 5D3 with both the AD-360 and the Odin switched to HSS. Trouble is that on full power, you only get 10-12 pops (if shooting in fairly quick succession) before the overheat-protection kicks in on the flash and recycle time goes from 2 seconds to a numbing 10 seconds.

However, with the Odin you can fine tune the HSS function using it's unique ODS adjustment. Fine tuning this I can now get HSS with the AD-360 and my 1D Mk4 with the flash set to regular non-HSS mode. The AD-360 will deliver full power pops until your battery overheats, generally after 60-70 punishingly rapid full-power pops. I can even get my Einsteins to deliver HSS, but only with the 1D4, not so good/clean/even with the 5D3.

OP, Cells-II will be your lowest cost option, but if your Visa card can handle the more expensive Odins, the whole HSS experience will be far richer and more useful.

-pw

Upvote 0
I have a 6D with 2 AD-360's and Cells-II trigger on my camera and I use the other one for remote control. This is a temporary solution before I feel like I can afford the Phottix Odin. Those triggers seem to be the best. With Over Drive Sync you will get more power out of them as well.
http://flashhavoc.com/phottix-odin-ods-over-drive-sync/
tl;dr version: 2/3 of a stop more light with Odin vs Cells-II. A full stop over pixelking pro and YN-622C.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Arthur_Nunes said:
pwp said:
However, with the Odin you can fine tune the HSS function using it's unique ODS adjustment.
-pw
not that unique, guys...
yongnuo has done it too with the new 622C-TX. absolutely no reason to buy Odins now
That's great! Very happy to be corrected on that one. The 622C-TX should sell it's socks off.

-pw

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
After 36 days my 1dx came back, new front and back plate (all buttons new) adjusted sensor plane and calibrated in the new Canon AF rig. Everything top notch!

And finally could try the Godox 360 in my new ProFoto 3' RFi octa.

The only shot I got of my little angel and forth shot I have shot with the 360. And I frikkin love it! Awesome flash! Only REALLY sucky thing is that the CellsII Transmitter I was recommended for HSS, does not work, I'm not
very happy about that to say the least.

Quick shot here , very bright out, but loads of power brought down the white wall in the background.

m101.jpg

Upvote 0