Got the RF85

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Congrats! Images looks awesome (y):cool:(y)

I didn’t know it was that much bigger than the 50, so thanks for sharing the comparison shot.
Monsters, aren't they? I'd love to see those two and the 28-70 together. Really, the lenses are far more important to me than the body. I'm sure an RP would be enough for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
For those who are curious, I've added comparisons for 4 different 85mm lenses for you all to pick apart. All captured on the same EOS R handheld.

0007 is the EF85mm f/1.4L IS, 0009 is the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art, 0016 is the EF 85mm f/1.2L II, and then 0021 is the RF 85mm f/1.2L. All images were processed in lightroom, no lens corrections were applied. The 1.4 lenses were brightened by 0.3 stops to get them close to the exposure of the 1.2 lenses.

If you ask me the RF does win out with a sharper subject and softer background. I've tested with action shots as well and it can keep up with a 4-year old running straight at the camera. I do think the EOS R needs some improvements with subject tracking but perhaps that will come with the next firmware or next camera body. My 1DX MK II has not been replaced just yet.

I shot a wedding with the RF 85mm on Saturday and it was a spectacular performer. Those results will come soon but I was blown away by the performance. It will be even better once the quirks with the EOS R are ironed out. I'll be keeping the Canon 85mm 1.4L IS for my second shooter to use but selling the others.

Attachments

• R01_0007.jpg
    R01_0007.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 239
  • R01_0009.jpg
    R01_0009.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 240
  • R01_0016.jpg
    R01_0016.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 237
  • R01_0021.jpg
    R01_0021.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 248
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
For those who are curious, I've added comparisons for 4 different 85mm lenses for you all to pick apart. All captured on the same EOS R handheld.

0007 is the EF85mm f/1.4L IS, 0009 is the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art, 0016 is the EF 85mm f/1.2L II, and then 0021 is the RF 85mm f/1.2L. All images were processed in lightroom, no lens corrections were applied. The 1.4 lenses were brightened by 0.3 stops to get them close to the exposure of the 1.2 lenses.

If you ask me the RF does win out with a sharper subject and softer background. I've tested with action shots as well and it can keep up with a 4-year old running straight at the camera. I do think the EOS R needs some improvements with subject tracking but perhaps that will come with the next firmware or next camera body. My 1DX MK II has not been replaced just yet.

I shot a wedding with the RF 85mm on Saturday and it was a spectacular performer. Those results will come soon but I was blown away by the performance. It will be even better once the quirks with the EOS R are ironed out. I'll be keeping the Canon 85mm 1.4L IS for my second shooter to use but selling the others.

You're an absolute champion. Thanks for posting :) I'm impressed the RF 85 has so much smoother bokeh than the EF 85 1.2L II, but am not surprised it's sharper and lacks blue fringing (given its BR element).

EDIT: upon closer inspection, I think your subject was a little closer (perhaps a couple inches?) in the RF photos, which would improve the bokeh somewhat since the ratio between background/subject/camera distance would be altered. This is nit-picking, of course ;) You so kindly offered these sample images and never claimed this was a scientific test. All that said, the RF is still the clear winner.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You're an absolute champion. Thanks for posting :) I'm impressed the RF 85 has so much smoother bokeh than the EF 85 1.2L II, but am not surprised it's sharper and lacks blue fringing (given its BR element).

EDIT: upon closer inspection, I think your subject was a little closer (perhaps a couple inches?) in the RF photos, which would improve the bokeh somewhat since the ratio between background/subject/camera distance would be altered. This is nit-picking, of course ;) You so kindly offered these sample images and never claimed this was a scientific test. All that said, the RF is still the clear winner.

Yeah I could have moved slightly there with image 21. I had actually started with the RF 85mm but made an oopsie and had it set at f/1.4. Anyway here's that shot as well so you can see the difference there. Even at 1.4 I feel its blurring the background better. There's a gate on the left side which is one point of comparison. Also looking at the sidewalk lines it just looks a bit more buttery.

Attachments

• R01_0001.jpg
    R01_0001.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 161
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Yeah I could have moved slightly there with image 21. I had actually started with the RF 85mm but made an oopsie and had it set at f/1.4. Anyway here's that shot as well so you can see the difference there. Even at 1.4 I feel its blurring the background better. There's a gate on the left side which is one point of comparison. Also looking at the sidewalk lines it just looks a bit more buttery.

Agreed. Also, on the RF 85, moving from 1.2 to 1.4, I notice a nice bump in contrast on her face and a more spherical bokeh. All in all, stellar performance! Hope to have one myself in a year or two :)

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I've been a little too critical of the ef 85mm f/1.4L IS--in terms of "character" compared to the 85mm f/1.2L II. Using it quite a bit this past month, I'm much more pleased with it than when I first got it last year.

However, I'm still a bit in doubt about the 1.4L's AF compared to other Canon champs, such as the 135mm f/2L, the 24-70mm f/2.8L II, and the 35mm f/1.4L II. Yes, these are very different lenses, but, even when a subject is completely still, mysterious complete misses seem to happen just too often--but not often enough to expect any answers or improvements from CPS.

So...Is the AF of the new 85 1.2L noticeably more consistent than on the 1.4L IS? Would you say consistent enough to make up for the lack of IS?

Thanks so much for giving us some solid comparisons and food for thought!

Upvote 0