Gypsy Girl

Hi, this is my first post. Relatively new to serious photography but always been a Canon fan (back to when I acquired my first SLR a Canon F1, circa 1978). But recently (about 2 years ago) my wife and I joined a camera club and have been entering club competitions serious for 2013 and 2014. So we are on a steep learning curve. Here are couple of images I shot at an annual medieval event

Attachments

• People-B-Gypsy Girl-Peter Wetzig-#347.jpg
    People-B-Gypsy Girl-Peter Wetzig-#347.jpg
    961.1 KB · Views: 1,239
  • Portrait-AB-GypsyGirl-PeterWetzig-347.jpg
    Portrait-AB-GypsyGirl-PeterWetzig-347.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,265
lholmes549 said:
I definitely prefer the first one.

Maybe if you had processed the second like the first I would have liked it more, due to the tighter composition and engaging eyes.

I learnt on a portraiture course that you should try to get the hands in the shot as well if you can, otherwise they may seem 'cut off'. I think that would have helped in this picture ;) I often ask my subjects to change their pose accordingly.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
magnum said:
Here are couple of images I shot at an annual medieval event
I prefer the first one, a matter of taste, I guess. Still learning as well.
The second is sharp and very engaging as previously mentioned. However, it is too busy for my taste. Way too much info and I am not sure what "part" of the lady captured your soul the most. I would use shallower depth of field and selective coloring to emphasize your soul capturer.
The first has more room to breathe and I am certain she is your subject being in her environment, and you convinced me that she is classy. My suggestion, use the same vibrance used on the second on the first (especially the face) and I would put it among my favourites.

Upvote 0
I like the first one, esp for the natural color. The second one appears over saturated/processed but it's still a good image. I also agree that a wider aperture on the second shot would bring out/isolate the subject more. As for cutting off hands, I'm no expert but my understanding is that once you're above the elbows, that rule no longer applies. In the first picture I would have zoomed in slightly more but not much. It's a great composition regardless. Be careful about adhering to some portraiture rules too seriously. Some times those rules really matter and other times no one will notice or care. Every shot is different.

All in all, both pictures are very nice. Keep up the good work!!

Upvote 0
Hi Magnum.
Nice work.
In the first one is nice the connection between the eyes and the bells but I get distracted by the jewel in the right corner. In the second I love the expression, composition and the energy of color but get distracted by the ¿feet? between the face and the golden grass, it is to shiny.
If you are not doing news report you are free to move or move anything so don't be afraid and continue doing your wonderful photos.

Attachments

• People-B-Gypsy-Girl-Peter-Wetzig-#347C.jpg
    People-B-Gypsy-Girl-Peter-Wetzig-#347C.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 666
Upvote 0
magnum said:
Hi, this is my first post. Relatively new to serious photography but always been a Canon fan (back to when I acquired my first SLR a Canon F1, circa 1978). But recently (about 2 years ago) my wife and I joined a camera club and have been entering club competitions serious for 2013 and 2014. So we are on a steep learning curve. Here are couple of images I shot at an annual medieval event
what nationality is she? is it some folk?

Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing. I think the light in the second image is far superior - just look at the life in the eyes. When we look at a standard portrait, typically the first place we look is into the eyes. The catchlights in the second image are nice, even though they are at the bottom of the eye, so a little unusual. What I think would have made the 2nd image a real stunner is a more shallow depth of field. I think the grass on the left is distracting and takes away from the detail of her face/hair/jewelry. The grasses are as big as she is - like a second person in the photo. In any event, cheers for sharing!

Upvote 0