Had a chat with a Sony rep

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
I'm not au fait with the science, but if Sony uses a genuinely innovative and clever compression, then why not?
It's a useful payday with storage & buffer depth.

(slightly OT) The Panasonic GH4 applies some sort of innovative & clever compression to the 4K output. I'm not too concerned about the science, but the results speak for themselves. By way of comparison, one minute of GH4 4K video demands almost exactly the same amount of storage as one minute of 5D MkIII video at full res. I'll take the cleverly compressed GH4 4K output any day. Plus I love that it records 4K internally, unlike Sony.

Vive le innovative compression! (but only if it's sufficiently clever...)

-pw

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2012
pwp said:
I'm not au fait with the science, but if Sony uses a genuinely innovative and clever compression, then why not?
It's a useful payday with storage & buffer depth.

(slightly OT) The Panasonic GH4 applies some sort of innovative & clever compression to the 4K output. I'm not too concerned about the science, but the results speak for themselves. By way of comparison, one minute of GH4 4K video demands almost exactly the same amount of storage as one minute of 5D MkIII video at full res. I'll take the cleverly compressed GH4 4K output any day. Plus I love that it records 4K internally, unlike Sony.

Vive le innovative compression! (but only if it's sufficiently clever...)
-pw

you are kidding right? 4K footage the same bitrate as 5D3 1080p footage? how on earth can you say you don't notice anything? that must be very horrible looking footage.

Then i googled it 5D3 IBP 30Mbps vs G4H 4K IBP 100Mbps
5d3 ALL-I 90Mbps vs G4H 200Mbps modes: All-I

Nope not even close YUP very clever/

I don't care how clever the compression is when i choose RAW it should be RAW sensor data without any information being lost because of some idiot at SONY saying the lossy compression is the only option. This is why we don't use JPEG as its lossy compression.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Its interesting that they can build a high tech sensor, but don't know how to use a lossless compression, and have to investigate for what has been 3 years or so already.

Yeah, but their method of lossy compression is innovative.

Can you explain? How much loss is there with their method?

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
Maximilian said:
K-amps said:
neuroanatomist said:
Its interesting that they can build a high tech sensor, but don't know how to use a lossless compression, and have to investigate for what has been 3 years or so already.

Don't know how old you are John, but remember ATRAC ?
I can remember using MiniDiscs with ATRAC in good HiFi (won't call it HighEnd).
And it really sucked. A lot of room information loss, etc. compared to the original (CD) recording.
For mobile it was okay. But not for home HiFi. (At least for me)

Didn't sony create betamax and lost the battle to VHS. Better mousetrap but not accepted by the market place.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
RGF said:
neuroanatomist said:

I was being facetious, but details are here:

http://www.rawdigger.com/howtouse/sony-craw-arw2-posterization-detection

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
RGF said:
neuroanatomist said:

I was being facetious, but details are here:

http://www.rawdigger.com/howtouse/sony-craw-arw2-posterization-detection

I would say they add a creative touch to your photography ::)

Upvote 0