Hands-on With the Canon EF 400 f/4 DO IS II

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>Matt Granger has posted a short hands-on video and samples gallery for the new Canon EF 400 f/4 DO IS II. Keep in mind the lighting conditions around the Canon booth are less than stellar and all the sample images were shot at high ISO.</p>
<p>I had a chance to hold the lens and it feels exactly like the previous version, solid, light and well balanced. I am looking forward to shooting with the new 400 DO, as the first version is one of my favourite Canon lenses.</p>
<p><iframe width="500" height="281" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i1dn1CjsuK8?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></p>
<p><a href="http://www.mattgranger.com/400do" target="_blank">Read more and see the samples at MattGranger.com</a></p>
<p><strong>Canon EF 400 f/4 DO IS II $6899: <a style="color: #900000;" href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1081814-REG/canon_8404b002_ef_400mm_f_4_do.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">B&H Photo</a> | <a style="color: #900000;" href="http://www.adorama.com/CA40042U.html?KBID=64393" target="_blank">Adorama</a> | <a style="color: #900000;" href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NI3C8A6/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00NI3C8A6&linkCode=as2&tag=canorumo-20&linkId=6TNTRNPLCUNXZTHB" target="_blank">Amazon</a> | <a style="color: #900000;" href="http://www.cameracanada.com/enet-cart/product.asp?pid=CanonEF400mm" target="_blank">Camera Canada</a></strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
dilbert said:
Matt Granger has proved to be nothing more than a tool.

Ah, come on, he is just filling in the "first with the news" niche. This is the equivalent of a "breaking news" banner at the bottom tv screen. Is the first you hear something ever very in depth? No. Will I buy this lens based on what he said? No.

But it was interesting to watch. It was interesting to see some test shots, and I even found the ease at which he moved around with the lens interesting.

So, if he is a tool, he was one that served his role well. Now lets get more in depth analysis from TDP etc and hopefully have a few early adopters pick this lens up and provide some first hand accounts of its performance.

I have to say, I am becoming more interested in this lens all the time.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
I agree with everything you said...Matt gave us preliminary info and better yet...some pics...which look damn good for being shot in a trade show. Damn good. I think he does a great job on camera....better than many.

The output and price on this lens is looking intriguing to a lot of people..it is has sooooooo much better stats than the previous version and basically maintains the same price. Is this a first for Canon!?!?!? LOL!
That should be the BIG news.

docsmith said:
dilbert said:

Ah, come on, he is just filling in the "first with the news" niche. This is the equivalent of a "breaking news" banner at the bottom tv screen. Is the first you hear something ever very in depth? No. Will I buy this lens based on what he said? No.

But it was interesting to watch. It was interesting to see some test shots, and I even found the ease at which he moved around with the lens interesting.

So, if he is a tool, he was one that served his role well. Now lets get more in depth analysis from TDP etc and hopefully have a few early adopters pick this lens up and provide some first hand accounts of its performance.

I have to say, I am becoming more interested in this lens all the time.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Austin said:
infared said:
Austin said:
He's a swell guy and all, but you'd think Canon Rumors could do a little better.

I've lost a degree of respect for CR at their regurgitation of this Youtube stuff.

You do have a point. ...but welcome to 2014!!!!!! ;D :eek: ::)

Well, I'll take Matt any day over Jared Polin!

Hey...I like Matt! (please read my other post).
Crack on Dilbert..not me. 8)

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
Touched "everything?"

I suppose he is seeking his 15seconds of fame and people seem to be lapping it up.

I thought it was a nice quick overview of a new lens. Don't know why he's a tool. I'm not familiar with his other work but this seemed just fine to me.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Khalai said:
adamfilip said:
Why isnt this a "L" Lens?

It has all the bells and whistles of L series, but the ring is green not red, that's all :)

Canon tried painting a red ring over the green one, but it came out black. They tried painting the red ring next to the green one, but decided people might only buy it at Christmas. So they just stuck with the green ring.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Am I the only one that thinks making the tripod foot non-removable almost totally defeats the purpose of this lens, which is to make it very light and easily handholdable? If I were in the market for a lens like this, this one simple thing would be a show-stopper for me. I keep the tripod ring off my 70-200/2.8 and 100-400L unless I'm actually using it on a tripod for exactly this reason - handholding comfort. It even looks really uncomfortable to hold in the video with the foot in his palm.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Khalai said:
adamfilip said:

It has all the bells and whistles of L series, but the ring is green not red, that's all :)

Canon tried painting a red ring over the green one, but it came out black. They tried painting the red ring next to the green one, but decided people might only buy it at Christmas. So they just stuck with the green ring.

When I was a kid my sisters nail polish would have fixed the ring problem right up.

Besides if it was an L lens it would be $2000 more than it is. "L" means "Lots of Money" (I am probably wrong on that, however I arrived at that conclusion from experience and I challenge anyone to dispute my findings)

Upvote 0
Lee Jay said:
Am I the only one that thinks making the tripod foot non-removable almost totally defeats the purpose of this lens, which is to make it very light and easily handholdable? If I were in the market for a lens like this, this one simple thing would be a show-stopper for me. I keep the tripod ring off my 70-200/2.8 and 100-400L unless I'm actually using it on a tripod for exactly this reason - handholding comfort. It even looks really uncomfortable to hold in the video with the foot in his palm.

I would want the foot to attach a plate to so I could use it with my black rapid. I wouldn't want the strap holders on the side. I prefer holding my supertele's by the foot when hand holding.

Upvote 0
Lee Jay said:

i agree that the foot should be removable, are you sure it's not?

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
candc said:
Lee Jay said:

i agree that the foot should be removable, are you sure it's not?

I guess I'm not totally sure, but it doesn't look removable, and I don't see any evidence that it is.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Khalai said:
adamfilip said:

Plus, green means go on contrary to red which means stop. OK, this is how a blond related joke ends.
I'd rather not say it complete though :)

Upvote 0