Has anybody gotten the 90D yet and taken it for a spin?

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Update: Yesterday, I took the plunge and ordered the 90D along with a Tamron 18-400 f/3.5-6.3. I also bought (on Saturday) a used Canon 17-40 f/4 L from a pro photographer/old acquaintance of mine. These will go along with my pre-existing 70-200 f/2.8 L USM, my Nifty-50, and my old EF-S kit lenses. I'm hoping to also buy the 100 f/2.8 L Macro lens later this year.

I'll be testing out the new gear at an event called Aussie Nationals in central CA the first weekend of November.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Update: Yesterday, I took the plunge and ordered the 90D along with a Tamron 18-400 f/3.5-6.3. I also bought (on Saturday) a used Canon 17-40 f/4 L from a pro photographer/old acquaintance of mine. These will go along with my pre-existing 70-200 f/2.8 L USM, my Nifty-50, and my old EF-S kit lenses. I'm hoping to also buy the 100 f/2.8 L Macro lens later this year.

I'll be testing out the new gear at an event called Aussie Nationals in central CA the first weekend of November.
Have you read the review of the 18-400mm on TDP? I had tried out in the past 2 copies of the Tamron 18-400mm and found both rather soft in the centre at 400mm with terrible CA further out, in agreement with the review. The 90D needs sharp lenses to take advantage of its sensor. I tried the ultra zoom again as one was in the shop where I bought my 90D to see if maybe it was a better copy, but no luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The 90D needs sharp lenses to take advantage of its sensor. I tried the ultra zoom again as one was in the shop where I bought my 90D to see if maybe it was a better copy, but no luck.
What are the alternatives to get such a range jn a single lens though?

Since the OP is coming from a T3i, the upgrade to a 90D should be significant enough to feel worth it even if the lenses used don't allow it's full potential to be realized. The upgrade from my T3i to an 80D is certainly worth it for the AF and ergonomics, but the sensor is just so much better, regardless of resolution. Doing heavy edits on the T3i shows flaws really quickly. On the 80D you at least have to go into the extremes to notice them. I haven't looked for them, but I have also not seen any accounts of banding with the 90D.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

Since the OP is coming from a T3i, the upgrade to a 90D should be significant enough to feel worth it even if the lenses used don't allow it's full potential to be realized. The upgrade from my T3i to an 80D is certainly worth it for the AF and ergonomics, but the sensor is just so much better, regardless of resolution. Doing heavy edits on the T3i shows flaws really quickly. On the 80D you at least have to go into the extremes to notice them. I haven't looked for them, but I have also not seen any accounts of banding with the 90D.
If you want to have an 18-360mm range (TDP measured it to be 360 and not 400mm max) at the expense of blurred and CA images at the long end, then it is your choice. The OP started this thread to get advice on his purchase based on our experience, and he now has some more info. He has some shorter zoom, and he could go for a 70-300mm STM for a good longer zoom or even an EF-S 55-250mm, which are both excellent. It’s for him to decide according to his wants.

Edit: ePhotozine has just published a very complimentary review of the 90D https://www.ephotozine.com/article/canon-eos-90d-review-34051
"Quick Verdict
The Canon EOS 90D lands on the photography scene with an all-new 32mp APS-C CMOS sensor, giving additional choice in the DSLR market. The camera also offers 4K and FullHD video using the full width of the sensor, so could be a great choice for videographers. The Canon EOS 90D delivers both high-resolution images, as well as 10fps continuous shooting, making it a compelling option for those looking for a DSLR. The impressive battery life is also another positive, however, you'll need to make sure the lenses you use with the camera are up to the job."
It's a great camera even with poorer lenses, but you'll get the best out of it with good lenses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

Putting any 20X zoom lens on a 32+ MP camera like the 90D is a waste of a 90D.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Putting any 20X zoom lens on a 32+ MP camera like the 90D is a waste of a 90D.
So is leaving it at home because switching between or carrying multiple lenses is no option for a trip you take.

I was in London for a quick business trip recently and brought my 80D + 35mm 1.4 Art. Between the light rain and colleague I was walking around with, switching would have been an annoyance. It's my favorite combo, but for such a trip, a zoom might have yielded less hassle. If that's a worthy trade off for the quality you lose is up to the individual.

It's not like the OP didn't list a bunch of fine lenses for use with the 90D as well.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The latter half of that sentence is true for any camera that isn't a complete junker.
By writing that, you are missing the lesson that the overall MTF of the sensor plus lens varies with the MTFs of each in different ways, and an OK lens doesn't improve much with increasing sensor resolution but a good or excellent does. Here is a good article from lensrentals explaining why: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/10/the-8k-conundrum-when-bad-lenses-mount-good-sensors/
Brandon Dube shows how the overall MTF of the system with an excellent and even a good lens drops significantly as the quality of the sensor decreases, but "With just an OK lens, the resolution of the sensor makes a lot less difference than it does with a good lens. Increasing camera resolution makes far less difference in the system MTF. "

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
By writing that, you are missing the lesson that the overall MTF of the sensor plus lens varies with the MTFs of each in different ways, and an OK lens doesn't improve much with increasing sensor resolution but a good or excellent does. Here is a good article from lensrentals explaining why: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/10/the-8k-conundrum-when-bad-lenses-mount-good-sensors/
Brandon Dube shows how the overall MTF of the system with an excellent and even a good lens drops significantly as the quality of the sensor decreases, but "With just an OK lens, the resolution of the sensor makes a lot less difference than it does with a good lens. Increasing camera resolution makes far less difference in the system MTF. "

Yeah, what I said is only half of the picture.

In essence the camera+lens can only be as good as the weaker of the two (a close first approximation. On a really crappy sensor you'd probably still see some small difference between a cheapass lens and the finest thing ever made). If the sensor is junk the lens won't matter much. If the lens is junk, the sensor won't matter much.

If you're thinking I'm still not "getting it" at this point I guess I'll have to ask you to be more specific as to what I'm missing.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yeah, what I said is only half of the picture.

In essence the camera+lens can only be as good as the weaker of the two (a close first approximation. On a really crappy sensor you'd probably still see some small difference between a cheapass lens and the finest thing ever made). If the sensor is junk the lens won't matter much. If the lens is junk, the sensor won't matter much.

If you're thinking I'm still not "getting it" at this point I guess I'll have to ask you to be more specific as to what I'm missing.
What you said previously was indeed only half the picture.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

Alan,
I am confident that you will be surprised to discover that not all good or excellent lenses improve with increasing sensor resolution. The following piece was absolutely eye opening to me personally.
I had to really focus on the content to ensure I understood the outcomes of this.

Sigma 105/1.4 Art is quite unique according to what they found. I sold mine last week.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
So is leaving it at home because switching between or carrying multiple lenses is no option for a trip you take.

I was in London for a quick business trip recently and brought my 80D + 35mm 1.4 Art. Between the light rain and colleague I was walking around with, switching would have been an annoyance. It's my favorite combo, but for such a trip, a zoom might have yielded less hassle. If that's a worthy trade off for the quality you lose is up to the individual.

It's not like the OP didn't list a bunch of fine lenses for use with the 90D as well.

It's not like there are any alternatives somewhere between a 35mm prime lens and an 18-400mm zoom lens, either. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
When we go on safari with our pair of Canons and telephoto zooms, instead of taking a short telephoto zoom for close ups, I have a Sony RX10IV which is tack sharp from 24-600mm equivalent so I can track from moderate wide angle to decent telephoto. I use the Sony for business travel as well. I use the expensive Mk IV because it has the A9’s AF so it will also do BIF. The much cheaper MK III is just as good image wise. I personally would take the Sony any day rather than my 90D plus Tamron 29-640mm equivalent. But YMMV. I used to have the Canon G3X with the same range but unfortunately it’s not nearly as good.

Upvote 0