Has anybody tried a TS-E on the RF mount yet?

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Particularly for the TS-E 17 (and the 11-24L), the EOS R offers a major advantage in terms of using filters with those lenses (or will do, once the drop-in filter adapter is available). High-strength ND filters and a CPL can be very useful for common use cases of those lenses (architecture/landscape), and the current front-filtering solutions are expensive and quite unwieldy (i.e. 145mm filters for the TS-E 17, even larger for the 11-24).

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
The ability to use filters more easily with adapters sounds like an excellent innovation.
I'm assuming the EF ts-e lenses will produce the same results on an RF mount body, but it would be nice to see some samples and read about actual use of the EOS R's little manual-focus triangles with tilt-shift. MF assist is a big attraction for me.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The ability to use filters more easily with adapters sounds like an excellent innovation.
I'm assuming the EF ts-e lenses will produce the same results on an RF mount body, but it would be nice to see some samples and read about actual use of the EOS R's little manual-focus triangles with tilt-shift. MF assist is a big attraction for me.
I doubt that you will see the Focus Guide feature for a lens that does not autofocus. Focus Peaking should work fine, since it is not dependent on focus information coming from the lens, I've tried focus peaking on several manual focus lenses of various types and brands, it always works, but Focus Guide does not. I also have not been to find any definitive information.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I doubt that you will see the Focus Guide feature for a lens that does not autofocus. Focus Peaking should work fine, since it is not dependent on focus information coming from the lens, I've tried focus peaking on several manual focus lenses of various types and brands, it always works, but Focus Guide does not. I also have not been to find any definitive information.
I do see in the EOS R user manual, p 285, that "The guide frame is not displayed correctly after you shift or tilt a TS_E lens." I think I understand the limitation here.

But I'm surprised that the Focus Guide, triangles included, doesn't work with, say, an all MF Zeiss lens. There are a few cases where I'd MF with a lens that has AF, but not many.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I do see in the EOS R user manual, p 285, that "The guide frame is not displayed correctly after you shift or tilt a TS_E lens." I think I understand the limitation here.

But I'm surprised that the Focus Guide, triangles included, doesn't work with, say, an all MF Zeiss lens. There are a few cases where I'd MF with a lens that has AF, but not many.
The lens has to send data about the focus position to the camera for the Focus guide to work. If its working at all for the TS-E series, that is happening. Old lenses with no electronics will not do that, of course, as for Zeiss lenses with electronics, I don't know.

Post what you find.

Upvote 0

JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
delightphoto.zenfolio.com

With the Zeiss lenses this is not true. I do have 3 Milvus lenses, and all of them are working. My Samyang 14 f2.8 does not. My understanding is that the lens must have the communications on EXIF´s with the camera....

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I messed around with a Rokinon 24mm tilt/shift on my EOS R just briefly. It seems like the focus peaking adds a very interesting dynamic to using a tilt shift. It can be hard to estimate or visualize what is happening to your plane of focus with a tilt shift, so being able to actually see that with the focus peaking is pretty cool. With the lens fully tilted, I could watch the in-focus area move vertically or horizontally across the frame as I moved the focus ring back and forth. Not that this is anything Canon actually invented or anything, but it's at least the first real camera they've made that has this.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I messed around with a Rokinon 24mm tilt/shift on my EOS R just briefly. It seems like the focus peaking adds a very interesting dynamic to using a tilt shift. It can be hard to estimate or visualize what is happening to your plane of focus with a tilt shift, so being able to actually see that with the focus peaking is pretty cool. With the lens fully tilted, I could watch the in-focus area move vertically or horizontally across the frame as I moved the focus ring back and forth. Not that this is anything Canon actually invented or anything, but it's at least the first real camera they've made that has this.
I was also thinking about that and the fact that the EVF shows true dof no matter what, must be much easier to place the plane of focus with TS lenses(y)

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm a newish R user. Before I had the 6D then got the 6D2 just before the R release- I reacted on the CR article where it was mentioned that we should not expect a FF mirror less soon, and of course within days it was announced!

I have the 24TS mk2 that I use for architecture and interiors. It was a bit of a mission with the 6D to get focus but the 6D2 worked like a champ, with the touchscreen that made it easy to shift AF points and the easier magnification for fine manual focusing. Also the flip screen made using the 24TS much easier. I only/mostly use a Tripod with this lens.

The R works even better than the 6D2 in that its got the MF peaking settings in REd, yellow and blue PLUS the focus guide. w\With the 6D I fond that I could not rely on the focus indicator in the VF but perhaps its because the lens was not micro calibrated. I never realized that it could be micro calibrated so maybe I missed out there....As for the 6D2, I just didn't have it long enough to say for sure how accurate the focus indicator was. The R appears to be spot on using the Focus Indicator even when shifted severely. I will do a few more tests to make 100% sure.

I sold my 6D2 when I got the R because it was just so much better imo and I got it mainly because it works flawlessly with all my lenses, including my Tamron 35F1.8 that I just could get to focus on the outer points with my 6D2, even my 'old' 100mm f2.8 macro focuses better than on the 6D2.
All in all it feels like a much more mature and sorted camera than the 6D2. Having said that it has taken me a while to figure out the new button placement and assigning which function to which buttons to work for me.

Upvote 0