Has anyone else been shut down?

May 15, 2014
unfocused said:
Don't drink.

Ehhh, I was tracking and feeling ya until this one. ;)

Lord only knows how much money I spend each month on happy hour, bloody's at lunch, beer on a patio, keeping the liquor cabinet well stocked, even my beer brewing hobby. But each penny is a penny well spent I say. I read a solid book the other year (Stuffocation) which covers a number of topics, trends, history, etc. but basically boils down to spend your money on experiences. And frankly, I can think of plenty of experiences that are enhanced with a drink in hand. ;D

Upvote 0
KeithBreazeal said:
ExodistPhotography said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Has anyone else been shut down? ;) Whatever did you do? The tone was most disturbing.

I make money from my photography. So no my wife has not tried to shut me down. But in typical wifey fashion she does complain.. But I quick reminder of the new car in the drive and all the other perks she gets. Normally quiets her down for a day or so.. LOL..

I once added up the cost of her horse and included pasture fencing, shelter, trailer, tools, care items, feed, vet bills, shoeing, etc. It was a bit depressing.

Learn barefoot trimming. You can do it yourself, and arguably can be better for the horse's health, saving on vet bills XD

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
neuroanatomist said:
Well, I've heard that it's better to ask forgiveness than permission. I've also heard that divorce lawyers are expensive… ;)

More expensive than an 85L? Wow. I should have stayed in school. :D

Much more expensive. In most states you would loose half of year gear and pay for the lawyer.

My suggestion is this.
The best way to handle this problem is to send one of the lenses you do not like off for repair.
When the box you shipped it in returns with the 85L in it just pretend it is the repaired lens.

Upvote 0
takesome1 said:
CanonFanBoy said:
neuroanatomist said:
Well, I've heard that it's better to ask forgiveness than permission. I've also heard that divorce lawyers are expensive… ;)

More expensive than an 85L? Wow. I should have stayed in school. :D

Much more expensive. In most states you would loose half of year gear and pay for the lawyer.

My suggestion is this.
The best way to handle this problem is to send one of the lenses you do not like off for repair.
When the box you shipped it in returns with the 85L in it just pretend it is the repaired lens.

Master class!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
ExodistPhotography said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Has anyone else been shut down? ;) Whatever did you do? The tone was most disturbing.

I make money from my photography. So no my wife has not tried to shut me down. But in typical wifey fashion she does complain.. But I quick reminder of the new car in the drive and all the other perks she gets. Normally quiets her down for a day or so.. LOL..

Off topic: I've watched a number of your videos on YouTube... very fun and informative :)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Why is it I get the sneaking suspicion some of you tough talkers are in the same boat as me?

Update: The Queen took my testicles out of the baby food jar she keeps them in, and loaned them to me. It was nice to have them back for a few hours. She usually does that when she wants me to mow the yard and change her oil.

They and the jar are sitting on the mantle until she needs something else.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi CanonFanBoy.

:eek: :eek: ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D where the hell is the laugh till I cried emoji? I would hazard a guess that a lot more of us can identify with this than would freely admit to it!

I feel your pain, loving some of the devious ideas put forwards, particularly the send for repair option, not so keen on the eBay and buy back idea, have to pay fees on the sale and the purchase!
My advice, if you love your wife (significant other), learn the phrase "yes dear," use it and bide your time, an oprtunity will arise at some point.
Of course if you didn't love her you would have bought the lens and let her divorce you! :)
I hope your wife doesn't read CR! :eek: :eek: ;D

Cheers, Graham.

CanonFanBoy said:
Why is it I get the sneaking suspicion some of you tough talkers are in the same boat as me?

Update: The Queen took my testicles out of the baby food jar she keeps them in, and loaned them to me. It was nice to have them back for a few hours. She usually does that when she wants me to mow the yard and change her oil.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
CanonFanBoy said:

You've had all the advice from this thread that you need to get out of this mess....... ;)

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
CanonFanBoy said:
First, I thought I ran things in my castle. I thought wrong. The Queen informed me today that my lens buying days are over. I thought it rather rude as she did this while looking over my shoulder as I read the rumor thread about the 85L that is soon to be announced.

I've had a good run and got further along in the buying marathon than I ever thought I would. I am, however, already getting the shakes and sweats as the 85L announcement date draws ever closer.

I'd never buy a lens without the reviews and some time passing to see if it is all it is cracked up to be anyway, so will a cooling off period soften her iron fisted ruling?

You need to remember the "golden rule":

He who makes the most Gold.....
....makes the Rules.

:)

HTH,

cayenne

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
I haven't had an argument about money in close to 10 years because of this:

Make a household budget. Anything that is bought because of need is included (food, one pair of glasses, medicines, ...). Anything you buy because you want it goes into your respective private budgets, governing private accounts: cameras, shoes, musical instruments, bags, birthday gifts, I'd-rather-eat-out-than-bring-lunch-box-today.

Introduce the concept with "It will increase the surprise when I order a gift for you since you won't risk seeing the transaction in the bank statement before delivery!"

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
hne said:
I haven't had an argument about money in close to 10 years because of this:

Introduce the concept with "It will increase the surprise when I order a gift for you since you won't risk seeing the transaction in the bank statement before delivery!"

But if that gift's a 5DIV and she doesn't do any photography ? ;)

Upvote 0

hbr

Oct 22, 2016
I have been following Jack Douglas' photos and the new gear he has. His wife must be much more tolerant than my wife! Jack, are you sure you are not single? ;D ;D ;D

My wife's work slows down in the wintertime so she usually goes back to Vietnam to visit her aging mother. I made an agreement with her that I could spend the amount she spends on her trip to buy my photography equipment. Having separate bank accounts and her being out of the country and can't see the delivery trucks also helps a lot!

Brian

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
I saw the risk of being shut down when I decided to get the 1DXII. Long story short, my wife never noticed the difference between the 1DX (that I bought used) and the 1DXII (that I paid for with the help of a credit card). When I bring out the 1DXII when friends are around, she will in good faith tell them I bought that giant of a camera used from a press photographer. ::)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Larsskv, I think that's a dangerous game! ;)

Brian, I'm not single, never have to cook but get my supper every night (albeit usually late) in front of the TV for news or NHL and my dear wife helps carry the gear. Her philosophy is I have to have good gear. So, without her I'd never have felt comfortable buying what I have (guilty conscience for spending what most people raise their eyebrows at, at least in my circle).

You better believe I'm thankful and try to do the chores I'm asked to do! ;)

Jack

Upvote 0