Has the forum gone quiet?

Jul 21, 2010
  • Yep, it's 2 clicks now. (You could just do a bookmark bar link for "one click")
  • You can get rid of the menu by clicking the top left lines.

There were two options on the old forum, one for new posts since last visit, one for new replies since last visit. The first one is two taps (on my iPad), the second is what I think AvTvM/fullstop/mirage(?) is talking about. To get new replies (updated threads in which you’ve posted), you need to add the ‘threads I’ve participated in’ filter to the ‘new posts’ filter. But, that filter combination can be set as default, which reduces the number of clicks.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Hi!

I’m trying to figure it out, but I was so used to the old forum that I’m finding it difficult now. I want to see which threads I’m active in and perhaps browse through new threads, but I can’t find what I’m looking for and it seems all the threads I was replying in and following are gone? So I’m sure if :p:pI keep trying I will find how to use everything correctly, but I have no patience. For example now, those two smileys were misplaced and I’m on my iPhone trying to move the cursor up to delete them, and all I get is everything marked and the option to “save image” wth..

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
There were two options on the old forum, one for new posts since last visit, one for new replies since last visit. The first one is two taps (on my iPad), the second is what I think AvTvM/fullstop/mirage(?) is talking about. To get new replies (updated threads in which you’ve posted), you need to add the ‘threads I’ve participated in’ filter to the ‘new posts’ filter. But, that filter combination can be set as default, which reduces the number of clicks.

I'm doing the threads I've participated in move and it seems to be working well under Alerts.

You can also manually follow threads by pressing 'WATCH' in the top right under the yellow 'Reply' button.

- A

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I am finding it difficult to read because the fonts are so small. Is it possible to increase font size specifically for CR? The "Recent Comments" on the Right has been stuck on the same boring items, two at the top both the same to Tony Northrup. I also miss the "Recent Posts" that used to occupy that space. They also use a red font which is more difficult to read than black.

Some images in the Bird Portraits etc are seen first as thumbnails, which means you have to click on them to see what they are about.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mt Spokane.
It was not this feature I was missing, it is simply that for instance the title for this thread will have ‘NEW’ by the side of it, on the previous platform you clicked the word ‘NEW’ to access the thread, now you click the title, this would previously have taken you to the first post. Not a big deal, just different and requires learning.

Cheers, Graham.

Graham, click the down carat besides the word Forum on the left bar. It will allow you to see all new posts along with a lot of other things. That feature was fixed. I think there are more minor fixes coming.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I am finding it difficult to read because the fonts are so small. Is it possible to increase font size specifically for CR? The "Recent Comments" on the Right has been stuck on the same boring items, two at the top both the same to Tony Northrup. I also miss the "Recent Posts" that used to occupy that space. They also use a red font which is more difficult to read than black.

Some images in the Bird Portraits etc are seen first as thumbnails, which means you have to click on them to see what they are about.

• The text is actually larger on this forum than the old one.
    • You can increase font sizes within your browser
  • As far as I know, recent comments displays the most recent comments made.
  • I have added the "latest threads" to the sidebar. Is this what you mean?
  • I don't really like the red either, I'll add that to the to do list. Please give me time to have it implemented.
Thank-you for your comments.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
  • I don't really like the red either, I'll add that to the to do list. Please give me time to have it implemented.

It's clearly smaller for me, and as I trust you I checked if it is browser dependent, and it is. On Firefox (Mac) the font is tiny. On Chrome it is much bigger. Another browser bug is that on Firefox "New Posts" is headed by a choice between listing new unread post or all new posts. That choice is missing for Chrome.

Thanks for your attention.
Alan

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Latest threads is useful. You are improving the site by the minute!

ahh thank you. This will be going on for the next few weeks as I listen to feedback and get my head around it all.

I just loaded the site on Firefox on both Windows and Mac and the text is the same as Safari, Chrome, Edge....

Do you maybe have text zoom below 100% on Firefox? I will admit that I don't use Firefox often.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
I'm trying to get used to this new forum and will keep persevering for a while, but at present I think it's a huge step backwards.

+1 That would be pretty much my summary too. I will try to give it a little longer, but so far I am not a fan - for a variety of reasons including screen elements too large/too much wasted screen space (making it harder find what I'm looking for), the way pics are now displayed in forum threads, and the way the the blog page displays on a mobile phone (which makes it particularly difficult to get to list of threads with recent activity). That said, I've realised if you click on the "what's new" heading under the Forums menu, you now get a list of the recently active threads (similar to the list which used to be on the blog home page), which is something. I plan to save that link and use it as my starting point when I access CR (which means I don't see myself viewing the blog page much at all in future).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Anyone know if there is a way to stop the Forums menu (in the panel on the left hand side of the screen) from collapsing? I expand it but it keeps collapsing again after I select an option. I would particularly like the "what's new" link to be available in the left hand side panel without having to expand the Forums menu each time (and having other options there too, such as "your threads", etc, would be helpful too - although just to be difficult, ideally I wouldn't way all of the options under the Forums to be displayed all of the time(!)).

Upvote 0
I have an issue. I’ve been away from home for a few days and just returned. I signed in to the forums successfully on my iPad while gone. I just tried to sign in on my desktop but am unable to do so. I get the following message: “Oops! We ran into some problems. Security error occurred. Please press back, refresh the page, and try again.” This messages pops up as soon as I click on the Log In button and following the instructions to press back and refresh doesn’t work.

Upvote 0
I have an issue. I’ve been away from home for a few days and just returned. I signed in to the forums successfully on my iPad while gone. I just tried to sign in on my desktop but am unable to do so. I get the following message: “Oops! We ran into some problems. Security error occurred. Please press back, refresh the page, and try again.” This messages pops up as soon as I click on the Log In button and following the instructions to press back and refresh doesn’t work.

O.K. I seem to have solved the problem by going to the Forums page and signing in at the bottom where it tells you that you can't participate in the forums unless you sign in or register. Why does the sign in button on the first page not work, though?

Upvote 0
O.K. I seem to have solved the problem by going to the Forums page and signing in at the bottom where it tells you that you can't participate in the forums unless you sign in or register. Why does the sign in button on the first page not work, though?

The main page now indicate that I'm signed in! :)

Upvote 0

HB

Jan 6, 2016
I'm guessing that most of the viewers are from the older generation group and as such find change a bit daunting, It is only a matter of time before we get familiar with new surroundings and navigate about as before. So first of all, administrator thanks for providing the level of service that you do and to the forum members, you are the backbone of the site so please continue to keep me both entertained and informed in equal measure.

Upvote 0