Has the forum gone quiet?

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
If my 1DX2 would have gotten another 4 MP I'd have become the next greatest photographer. As it is I'm confined to mediocrity - I wonder if buying a Sony would do the trick?

BTW, as I perused this thread from page 1 to here, there are no "Previous, 1, 2,3" boxes at the bottom so I had to slide up to the top to go to the next page each time, which is kind of a pain.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
I refute your allegation that you are mediocre, some of your shots are excellent even without the extra 4MP.
I’m sorry about the 1,2,3, next boxes being missing for you, I don’t know why that should be, they have always been there for me!

Cheers, Graham.

If my 1DX2 would have gotten another 4 MP I'd have become the next greatest photographer. As it is I'm confined to mediocrity - I wonder if buying a Sony would do the trick?

BTW, as I perused this thread from page 1 to here, there are no "Previous, 1, 2,3" boxes at the bottom so I had to slide up to the top to go to the next page each time, which is kind of a pain.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
There are no page number links on the smartphone browser version (page number links do show up on my Mac and iPad). However, to the right of the Next button is a right-arrow that takes you to the last page (and similarly, a left-arrow to the left of the Prev button that takes you to the first page).

Upvote 0
I don't have a strong feeling for the new vs old forum software, I just got a little bored when people who make stuff up get as much recognition as people who know their stuff and get blasted for pointing out inaccuracies and the worst of the bull----. I also find the constant Canon bashing tiresome, like every poster would be the next greatest photographer ever if they only had one more feature or improved spec, DR being the darling.

as a reader only, of this forum (until now) I thought I should respond. I think most of us know our limitations as photographers and it's not the camera. I am a novice and hesitate to call myself a photographer. My skills have improved mostly through educating myself and reading this forum and your contributions PD along with others have far exceeded what a new camera body would have done for me. I believe there is a silent majority out there who understand this. Anyway keep sharing your knowledge, my ability to process photos greatly improved upon a couple of things you posted...I mean on the internet who can tell what brand camera took a photo of your cat.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

Jack

Interesting.... the boxes are visible in my browser.....

Also, I would need at least 200 megapixels, 21 stops of DR, a large format mirrorless body that was the same size as an "M", and the ability to think outside the box to make me into the next greatest photographer..... sigh..... I guess there is nothing left for me to do than take cat pictures inside the box with an iPad :(D17A0004.jpg

Upvote 0
Just got back from a 2 week vacation, and the change took me by surprise. My family loves visiting national parks, but national parks are also notorious for not having cell service nor wifi. Visiting different areas of the country gives me a greater appreciation for the northeast. The west is beautiful but is too dry. A lot of wildfires each year. I've read that the total acreage is similar to historical norms, but the location of the fires have been inconvenient.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
stevelee said:

I'm in a similar situation. If I had more money, I wouldn't be a poor photographer.

If you did a study I think you would find that most "Rich" Photographers = Amateur.

There are always exceptions.

I'd like to think he was making a pun and meant poor as in, not good, rather than money. :D

Upvote 0
Fundamentally, people hate change. In our daily lives, we carry out many tasks that are repetitive using "muscle memory". The brain has stored the old forum pattern and automatically guides us through the actions to read and respond within a certain structured area. When the new format came out, the brain can no longer help us navigate "automatically"(muscle memory) and sees this as a whole new learning experience.(we hate change) What we used to see was changes in the same old common pattern, so the brain doesn't work hard to see every pixel, just those that are different. The brain is working harder now because every detail is new and requires repetitive use to develop the new "muscle memory". Soon, the old format will be erased as we navigate through the new one. People new to CR, only seeing this format, won't have the same issues.

***note: My main issue with the format is the red type. Yes, the CR logo is red, but making everything red to go with the "theme" doesn't work for me. The color red is wrong psychologically anyway. Blue(the peaceful color) would work better for me.

I may be viewing CR less because I hate red text.(hint, hint)

And why do I have EOS 77D? Have I been bad?

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Fundamentally, people hate change

no. i have heard that wrong sentence so often in my life.

fundamentally and rightfully, (almost) all people hate and resent change *that other people try to force upon them* and *which is not in their own best interests, but mainly or exclusively serves objectives of those in power to demand change from others*.

almost all people - maybe except those suffering from conditions like autism - love change *if it is initiated by themselves and under their direction and control* both on terms of nature, speed and direction of change.

-> “If we want things to stay as they are, things will have to change.” .... Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa, Il Gattopardo.

and reading Machiavelli is also enlightening on the subject.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Today the little number boxes are appearing at the bottom so ??

I read CR for the humour and whatever else I glean is gravy.

Repeating myself along the lines of bluediablo, when I joined CR I didn't even know the eyes "had to be in focus", along with numerous other basics, so when you're at the bottom there is only one way and that's up.

Graham, all of us luck out once in a while but of course I was joking. I truly believe I'm a wee bit above mediocre but when I listen/look at what the true pros are consistently relating to and producing I'm reduced to embarrassment. However, who cares, cause I'm having fun with my gear and happy as a lark to have a wife who insisted I have what she calls "the best camera". I just wish the gear wasn't attention getting in the public domain.

I happily eat the same breakfast for decades but if that were supper I wouldn't be happy. We all both love and hate various aspects of change but as far as being forced to change something we like or think is great, especially at work - I doubt anyone likes that.

Jack

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
no. i have heard that wrong sentence so often in my life.

fundamentally and rightfully, (almost) all people hate and resent change *that other people try to force upon them* and *which is not in their own best interests, but mainly or exclusively serves objectives of those in power to demand change from others*.

almost all people - maybe except those suffering from conditions like autism - love change *if it is initiated by themselves and under their direction and control* both on terms of nature, speed and direction of change.

-> “If we want things to stay as they are, things will have to change.” .... Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa, Il Gattopardo.

and reading Machiavelli is also enöightening on the subject.

So you vehemently disagreed with Keith to basically agree with him in every way that was relevant to his post?
That’s so very... you.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I find that the loss of the section that used to be at the top of the page, when you went into the forums that shows quickly the threads you were on had replies, and would then DISAPPEAR after you'd gone to that page...is a great loss.

I used that to quickly get on, and just hit the threads I was on that I had not viewed yet....

There is something similar on the side now, but they don't disappear after you've read them stay gone till someone replies on that thread.

That was always my first thing to go through when I logged on, and from there i'd poke around the forums for anything interesting....

C

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
So you vehemently disagreed with Keith to basically agree with him in every way that was relevant to his post?
That’s so very... you.

i just hate seeing this platitude of "people hate change" repeated at nauseam.

we, the people, generally LOVE change and diversity - if and as long as we are in control of it. If not, we generally TOLERATE change initiated and driven by others, as long as we have the choice to partake in it or not.

we, the people only HATE change forced upon is by others. Typically by others who want to exert power over us. who solely pursue their interests while claiming to act in our best interest.

no matter whether its politics, religion or commerce.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
as a reader only, of this forum (until now) I thought I should respond. I think most of us know our limitations as photographers and it's not the camera. I am a novice and hesitate to call myself a photographer. My skills have improved mostly through educating myself and reading this forum and your contributions PD along with others have far exceeded what a new camera body would have done for me. I believe there is a silent majority out there who understand this. Anyway keep sharing your knowledge, my ability to process photos greatly improved upon a couple of things you posted...I mean on the internet who can tell what brand camera took a photo of your cat.

Many thanks bluediablo, I appreciate your kind words. Can't think what I said that helped you so but I am very happy it did. All the best, and I promise to keep posting, though I am sure that will annoy a few out there :)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
fullstop, you are only ever going to be partially correct, so just let it be. As people age their ability to change is increasingly inhibited, more or less depending on health etc. If you're in the retired (or tired) group you'll know this from personal experience, otherwise your time is coming when you'll understand.;) Think, old dog, new tricks. It's not fun when you can't do something you'd like to do. I only have to think of my mother at 90 trying to deal with her new electronics and now it's me who is struggling.:confused: CR is trying to be kind/accommodating to/of both old and young and it's next to impossible.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0