Have most now forsaken the 5dMk3 and jumped on to the Mk4?

Oct 22, 2016
Have always been following this web for a long time but this thread prompted me to make an account to post:

Still going fine with my 5D3 + 7D2 combo. 5D3 has crossed the 50K shutter count but looking at the last event i covered, looks good for another year. Sure I do wish it could give me one more stop of iso performance for shooting concerts, sure I do wish I had one more stop of DR for crazy stage lighting but other than that, cant say I got any complains.

While the 5D4 is sure tempting and I have had 2nd thoughts about upgrading, somehow the overall package seems a bit lacking to make me want to take out my card and head to my favorite camera shop.

Thought I will admit I do wonder if the 1Dx2 would be a better upgrade for the things I shoot...

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Are you kidding? The 5D Mark 3 is a sensational camera and I'm as happy with it today as the day I bought it, right after they first shipped. The 5D Mark 4 looks impressive and I'll probably pick one up in the first quarter of next year.

Too bad the 5D Mark 4 didn't deliver the anticipated upgrades for video. Not to worry, it will be a great workhorse stills camera and I'll continue with Panasonic GH4 for video.

-pw

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
KWSW said:
Have always been following this web for a long time but this thread prompted me to make an account to post:

Still going fine with my 5D3 + 7D2 combo. 5D3 has crossed the 50K shutter count but looking at the last event i covered, looks good for another year. Sure I do wish it could give me one more stop of iso performance for shooting concerts, sure I do wish I had one more stop of DR for crazy stage lighting but other than that, cant say I got any complains.

While the 5D4 is sure tempting and I have had 2nd thoughts about upgrading, somehow the overall package seems a bit lacking to make me want to take out my card and head to my favorite camera shop.

Thought I will admit I do wonder if the 1Dx2 would be a better upgrade for the things I shoot...
1Dx2 seemed a very good upgrade for my 5D3 (low and high iso noise, fps, AF) but for size, weight, shutter noise and the compatibility in batteries,chargers and memory cards with my other cameras (5D3 x 2 + 7D2). So I got a 5D4. I have not tested yet due to much work (even in this weekend). As soon as I verify it is OK I will put a 5D3 for sale.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
tron said:
1Dx2 seemed a very good upgrade for my 5D3 (low and high iso noise, fps, AF) but for size, weight, shutter noise and the compatibility in batteries,chargers and memory cards with my other cameras (5D3 x 2 + 7D2). So I got a 5D4.

My feelings are much the same. I could never have anticipated the inestimable value of the Silent Shutter on the 5D MkIII when I first got it. The hugely reduced intrusiveness of the smack-bang of a shutter/mirror opens doors to shots that would previously been impolite or plain impossible to attempt. A good photographer will have well evolved skills in invisibility, notably in corporate, wedding and event work.

CPS offered me a two day test drive of the 1DX MkII and unsurprisingly it is in most respects an absolute knockout of a camera. But it's loud. Even in it's silent-mode.

My next two body purchases will be 5D MkIV and Panasonic GH5 when it ships next year. My current GH4 is primarily for video projects, but is sometimes rolled out on stills projects when 100% silent shutter will deliver an advantage.

-pw

Upvote 0

Hjalmarg1

Photo Hobbyist
Oct 8, 2013
Doha, Qatar
JonAustin said:
Another completely satisfied 5DIII owner here. In fact, I have a notification set up on canonpricewatch.com to get a message if/when new III's become available below $2K from an authorized dealer.

No doubt the 5DIV is an even better piece of gear, but I have no need for any higher resolution, nor video, nor touch screens. Wider DR and improved image quality are always welcome, but the III's capabilities rarely leave me wanting under the conditions I shoot.

I'm probably more of a candidate for the 6DII now than the 5DIV. In the meantime, I'll soldier on with my 5DIII, 5D and 20D (which is still a excellent body, and -- now that it's worth virtually $0 in the market -- a great "throwaway" camera when paired with an inexpensive prime, in hazardous (for camera gear) environments).
I'm very happy owner of my 5D3 and because I am a hobbiest, I am not planning to upgrade and spend $3K

Upvote 0
Never got the 5DIII myself but stuck with the 5DII (which turned out to be the perfect decision), so I can see why some may want to stay with the 5DIII.

However, the 5DIII sensor was barely better than the 5DII sensor - and sensor quality is what counts the most to me. Here the 5DIV offer much more of an upgrade over the 5DIII than the 5DIII ever did over the 5DII.

If I had a 5DIII I'd probably wait and see what the 6DII brings to the table (an even better sensor than the 5DIV just as the 6D sensor was somewhat better than the 5DIII?) as well as possibly the rumoured 5DS/R II upgrade (which i personally do not believe in however).

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I bought a 5DSR just before Christmas last year expecting that I would keep the 5D III as my generalist camera and simply use the 5DSR for studio/macro photography and anything else that needed higher resolution - but since I bought the 5DSR I found that I used the 5D III only a handful of times. Now my brother has the 5D III on long-term loan and I haven't really missed it.

I was very excited waiting for the 5D IV, and once it was announced I took a long, hard look at the specs and decided it wasn't the camera that I needed. 30mpx is a good resolution, nothing wrong with that, and the DPAF stuff looks great. But I really doubt that it would really offer enough of a difference to make it work having alongside my 5DSR (which I have no intention of parting with.)

So - after the 5D IV was announced I instead ordered the Sony A7R II - which I am very happy with as it gives me a completely different photographic tool to my 5DSR. The two complement each other far better than the 5DIV would have.

Now, if the 5DIV had been fitted with the hybrid electronic/optical viewfinder which was long rumored I almost certainly would have gone for that instead.

I wish the EOS M5 had been available a month earlier as that, with the 18-150 lens, may have been "good enough" as a stop-gap for me to keep holding on for a Canon FF mirrorless camera. But I can't see that happening for a while now, unless Canon decide to replace the 6D with a mirrorless FF (although I can imagine a lot of people will hate that idea.)

Upvote 0
Since I bought the 5DIII I've gradually moved almost exclusively to MF lenses, so with that in mind I'm waiting to see what the 6DII (with replaceable focus screens) offers.

I have not reviewed new sensor stress tests since 2012 when I bought the Mark III (can't say Ive missed it :) ), and I know the sensor itself wasn't a huge upgrade over the Mark II - is the Mark IV much better than the III?

Upvote 0
No, and I won't be replacing my mklll's. The mkll to Mklll was a big upgrade; 3-6 fps; state of the art AF system with 61 pts with 41 cross type - up from the very basic system the mkll inherited from the 5D (9 pts and 1 cross type); high ISO up by 2/3 of stop if not slightly more; and much improved weather sealing.
With the MklV fps goes up from 6 to 7 .....no comment. No improvement on high ISO that I can see - looks better at first glance but the fine detail looks smudged on the reviews I've seen; 22.3 to 30 MP bump....ok, but if I need more mp I would buy a 5DR; HDR increase, good, but over the last 5 yrs, coupling the Mklll with photoshop, I don't really have an HDR problem. So what would £3600 give me?
So, in my opinion Canon made a mistake with the Mklll - they made it too good. I'll upgrade when my clients complain about the image quality, certainly not from pixel peeping at 100% crops.
If there were a better general purpose/ low light camera out there, from Nikon, Sony, I'd buy it.....but there isn't in my opinion.
I was saving my money for the new 24-105, but that looks to have bombed. I hope later reviews are better. This is a lens that, despite it being half the price of any of my other L series lenses, rarely leaves the Mklll it is attached to.

Upvote 0

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
I find myself with a 5D3, 5D4, and 5DS since I haven't sold off the 5D3 yet. Here's an unscientific, real world test of the three bodies. I took them out and shot a scene with the same 24-70/2.8L II lens at f8 and approximately 45mm. I used the live view histogram to set the exposure with each camera to make sure the highlights were just inside. I then used DPP to open each image setting the white balance to Cloudy, the Picture Style to Neutral, and then the Auto Gamma function to let Canon adjust the overall look of the image. Visually, on a 4K corrected monitor (DataColor Spyder) with the image scaled to fit, they looked identical except for a slight registration difference caused by mounting the different cameras onto the tripod. I then transferred all three to Photoshop where I cut out a 100% 900x600 shadow section and did a 100% Shadow and Highlight correction to the shadows. I also had Costco print all three originals at 20x30". You have to examine them very close to find a difference in the prints. I could see a slight resolution advantage in the 5DS image but not a great amount at that print size (might have something to do with their print process). Anyway, here's the resulting comparison. BTW, I see uglier false color in the 5D3 and 5DS with a similar test using ACR which means that Canon must be looking for it and taking some measures to reduce it.

Attachments

• 5D_Comp_SH100.jpg
    5D_Comp_SH100.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 243
Upvote 0
JoeDavid said:
I find myself with a 5D3, 5D4, and 5DS since I haven't sold off the 5D3 yet. Here's an unscientific, real world test of the three bodies. I took them out and shot a scene with the same 24-70/2.8L II lens at f8 and approximately 45mm. I used the live view histogram to set the exposure with each camera to make sure the highlights were just inside. I then used DPP to open each image setting the white balance to Cloudy, the Picture Style to Neutral, and then the Auto Gamma function to let Canon adjust the overall look of the image. Visually, on a 4K corrected monitor (DataColor Spyder) with the image scaled to fit, they looked identical except for a slight registration difference caused by mounting the different cameras onto the tripod. I then transferred all three to Photoshop where I cut out a 100% 900x600 shadow section and did a 100% Shadow and Highlight correction to the shadows. I also had Costco print all three originals at 20x30". You have to examine them very close to find a difference in the prints. I could see a slight resolution advantage in the 5DS image but not a great amount at that print size (might have something to do with their print process). Anyway, here's the resulting comparison. BTW, I see uglier false color in the 5D3 and 5DS with a similar test using ACR which means that Canon must be looking for it and taking some measures to reduce it.

Thanks for the work here JoeDavid. :)
I have the 5D IV and 5DS. Sold my 5D III.
The 5DS is still king for big prints when using low ISO's. I assume your shots were around ISO 100.
I see a noticeable improvement in the 5D IV when working shadow detail and in your sample, I see lower noise in your shadows in the 5D IV.
When it all boils down, it really depends on editing skills and the viewing distance of the print. Like you said,
the enlargements were hard to tell apart.

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
I'm planning to keep using my 5D3 for at least two or three more years. These cameras have a very long life span if not abused. If it does get damaged beyond reasonable repair, I would probably pick up a refurbished 5D3 rather than a new 5D4. Hopefully it will last until the Mark 5 comes out. Maybe by then the improvement in dynamic range and high-ISO performance will be enough for me to upgrade.

I thought about picking up another 5D3 as a backup, but I prefer a Rebel body as a backup due to the smaller size and weight. I'm actually more excited to see which sensor shows up in the next Rebel body than I am about the 5D4.

Upvote 0
drmikeinpdx said:
...I thought about picking up another 5D3 as a backup, but I prefer a Rebel body as a backup due to the smaller size and weight. I'm actually more excited to see which sensor shows up in the next Rebel body than I am about the 5D4.
Heresy! ???
How dare you to consider the Rebel cameras to be worthy of good pictures? :eek:
You do not know that only full frame cameras with the latest technology are able to make good pictures? :-X

I also wish a Rebel with 80D sensor... ::)

Upvote 0
JoeDavid said:

Very useful samples.

I generally feel the colors of the 5DS/R (and 5DIV) are somewhat improved from the 5DII/5DIII. That's however not very obvious in your samples.

I note that you used DPP - which normally works well (I'm consistently weary of Adobe's profiles for the 5DS/R). I use a custom color profile that I built myself for my own 5DS/R processing which may be important for my improved color results. There is no doubt my color profiles are better than DPP, however, I'm sure you can process DPP files in RAW to practically match my custom profiles.

I recently took the 5DIV for a test run. Its a great photographic tool for stills. Reliable and familiar. Have not had time to work through the few thousand shots yet. Also, time did not allow me to use it together with the 5DS/R (or the 5DIII) as you did here.

For my own test run I find it very difficult to see any differences in the 5DIV colors compared to the 5DS/R.

The AF is better on the 5DIV than the 5DS/R - but marginally so. My take is that the difference between the 5DIV and the 5DS/R AF is less than the 5DS/R and 5DIII (as we should expect). Low light AF is still the biggest difference between the 5DS/R/5DIV models and 5DIII for my use. Interestingly I found that the smallest focus point works better on the 5DS/R than the 5DIV - and I stopped using it with the 5DIV after a while. And the 5DIV single focus point works well enough anyway.

The "expanded" AF area was a disappointment to me. I was suspicious when I saw the viewfinder-overlay in advance and in real life use this was confirmed. Shooting style and motives may make it more helpful for others. I would surely welcome a significant increase in Canon's AF spread one day.

On resolution (very important to me) the 30 MPIX of the 5DIV certainly helps a lot compared to the 5DIII. But its still somewhat less than the 5DS/R and makes the 5DIV less attractive as a back-up at the current price point. If I was using a 5DIII I would probably upgrade just for the improved sensor. Its a bigger jump from the 5DIII to 5DIV than the 5DII to the 5DIII.

Final note: I thought I set the GPS - but there's nothing to prove it on my RAW files even if the GPS signal was blinking on the 5DIV... :eek: Of course user error cannot be excluded :p

Upvote 0
drmikeinpdx said:
I'm planning to keep using my 5D3 for at least two or three more years. These cameras have a very long life span if not abused.
[snip]
Hopefully it will last until the Mark 5 comes out. Maybe by then the improvement in dynamic range and high-ISO performance will be enough for me to upgrade.

+1

Upvote 0