Have there been any reported issues related to the 70D ?????

I have used a 1D Mark IV since it was introduced as my primary body and have always loved it. Mid last year, I acquired a 5D Mark III and over time have turned to it more and more, to the point that it has now pretty much become my primary body. I simply love the files it produces.

I shoot primarily motocross during the spring and summer months and mostly birds and other wildlife during the off season. In addition to that, I shoot pretty much what everyone else does such as landscapes and people.

I am now contemplating selling off the 1D Mark IV and replacing it with a crop body which I would use for backup. I'm looking at the 70D as I have read good things about the camera.

Question..... is anyone aware of any particular issues reported related to that camera?

I would appreciate any input.

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
I honestly cannot fathom why you would sell off the 1D IV (unless you were seriously strapped for cash, which if that's the case, well then I understand ;P).

For as good as the 70D may be, it is good "within it's class". The 70D doesn't hold a stick to the 1D IV. The 1D IV may be "older", but it is still a vastly superior device. It has better noise handling, better color, higher frame rate, more features, better features, and (at least IMHO) has the wonderful APS-H sensor size with larger pixels than the 70D (so better dynamic range.)

Outside of the "strapped for cash" situation, there is no way in good conscience that I could recommend you trade the 1D IV for the 70D. From a functionality, capability, and IQ standpoint, your trading DOWN, WAY DOWN, and I truly think you would regret the decision.

Upvote 0
Thanks, guys.

I was not looking to update my 1D4 with the 70D. As I stated, my 5D3 has pretty much become my primary camera and the 1D4 has been relegated to backup mode.

I was just thinking of reducing the investment for a camera that will likely not see a lot of use.

I don't need the funds and was just trying to think like a practical person. Not an easy task for me. :)

He!!, the 1D4 doesn't owe me anything at this point. I'll just hang on to it for sentimental reasons if nothing else. I suspect that, as others have eluded to, I would not be happy with a 70D at this point in my life.

Happy shooting, guys.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
jrista said:
I honestly cannot fathom why you would sell off the 1D IV (unless you were seriously strapped for cash, which if that's the case, well then I understand ;P).

For as good as the 70D may be, it is good "within it's class". The 70D doesn't hold a stick to the 1D IV. The 1D IV may be "older", but it is still a vastly superior device. It has better noise handling, better color, higher frame rate, more features, better features, and (at least IMHO) has the wonderful APS-H sensor size with larger pixels than the 70D (so better dynamic range.)

Outside of the "strapped for cash" situation, there is no way in good conscience that I could recommend you trade the 1D IV for the 70D. From a functionality, capability, and IQ standpoint, your trading DOWN, WAY DOWN, and I truly think you would regret the decision.

Complete and total sense, I have 2 x 1Dx & 2 x 5DMK III Bodies, But my 1DMK IV I still use when I need that 1.3 Crop reach with a long Lens & all my Macro Underwater Images, Love this Camera & wish Canon had continued it. And of the listed Cameras it's the only Body that's Never had to go back to Canon for some "fix".

Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
It does sound as though the 70D has similar AF jitter issues as the 7D. If you have a 5D III now, then I have to say, you will probably be disappointed in the consistency of the 70D AF. When it locks, it's pretty accurate, but it doesn't maintain the lock well...AF constantly shifts around, and it can result in soft detail. I've had this problem with my 7D, it happens with a lot of 7D's, and it's the biggest problem with these cameras.

My AF jitter is the reason I'll be getting a 5D III this year.

Upvote 0