Have you considered joining the dark side?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scott

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about dumping all my Canon gear and joining the Nikon camp but after crunching all the numbers its simply isn't worth it for me. I have a 5dii, a collection of lenses and speedlites that i've amassed over the years and to sell it all and start again just seems crazy.

I know a lot of people on here are hurt to have to admit that Nikon has a "better" camera in the D800 but really, what would you do with that camera that you can't already do with your 5dii or iii?

What brought me back down from my i'm jumping to Nikon high was the fact that i have all the gear i need right now to cover (pretty much) every situation i encounter on my photographic endeavours.

I will be upgrading to a 5diii in the future (simply for the AF) when the price is right but for now, just because cameras like the D800 or 5Diii exist doesn't mean that my 5dii stops taking photos...

... now where's my 35mm 1.4L ii? ;D

Mar 25, 2011
I ordered a Nikon D800 from a local Dealer this morning. I have a ton of Canon Cameras and Gear, so I'll be replacing some lenses with Nikkor, but keeping my favorite ones to use with my 7D. I had sold my 5D MK II to finance something new, and tried a 5D MK III. Its a great camera, but I din't use most of the new features and returned it. I'm going to try landscape photography with the new Nikkor 14-24mm lens I ordered with it. My 7D will still be for product photoraphy and focal length limited use, and, of course, I could not part with my 35mmL, 100mmL, 135mmL or 100-400mmL. My other lenses, flash, TC's, etc will go on the block.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
No I have never considered. And that has nothing to do with IQ, nor will it ever be.

It's about how you handle a Nikon, I can spent 30 minutes writing about how I dislike the placements of buttons and how you operate, for example changing ISO's on a D4 with your left hand under a 70-200. Or the usless very high top right scroll whhel, but I'm not gonna.

I think they also have a massive confusion in lenses. Some lenses costs more than anything and they look, and are VERY old, they have no consistensy and clear cut difference between pro and non-pro lenses.

Besides , the bungy-stretchy files from Canon and they're useability with the small scroller wheel, big scroller wheel and joystick is the best thing invented since the steeringwheel.

Upvote 0
Absolutely. But I would not have to "switch". I would simply buy another body. Whether Canon or Nikon, it's another purchase. I also want another lens. So regardless of brand, it's still another purchase. But with Canon would be simpler for me to switch lenses. Besides, I would also have two cameras, two systems for backup and future proofing.

From a software perspective, I use Lightroom, so I would not have to use the binary-noise-called-software that Nikon packs with the camera (though the Nik plug-in is very nice).

I still haven't seen the kind of RAW images that I want to see from 5D3 and D800 (same scene at high ISO)... and of course compared at a normalized resolution. And also how the auto-exposure behaves with back-lit portrait shots.

But... when I come here and see all the Nikon trolls (claiming to be Canon shooters), I'm simply getting SICK of Nikon.

Upvote 0
T

Terrano

I have considered it , as i shoot both my 5D MK2 , and a Leaf Aptus 75 which i use for my retail
food photography the results from the Aptus are fantastic incredibly sharp great colour.
But the Aptus on my Hasselblad is not a nice camera to use , i need the extra resolution before
i can consider giving up the Aptus , and i thought the 5D MK 3 was going to give me that it has
instead given me things that i do not need as much.
I switched to the Canon from Nikon because at one stage Nikon were being very stubborn about
resolution telling everybody it is not necessary , the switch was not difficult so i will wait and see
what i need is a higher res Canon at the D800 price point.
Bit worried Canon looks like they are very much focused on Video over stills.
Rgds
http://www.terencehogben.co.za

Upvote 0

docsavage123

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2011
Never thought about it. Makes me smile when Im out and loads of white glass and red camera straps shooting wildlife and nature. They outnumber the nikonians around 8 to 2 on a day out. The only time I see more nikon stuff is at weddings and I dont mean the photographer its the people with the D3100's and kit lens set on auto and pop up flash turned on for every shot.

I have no intention of switching at all well happy with my kit and looking forward to to buying more when I can afford it (5D3 is still the one for me) 8)

Upvote 0
I own 5 canon lensed including 24-70, 70-200 II L and 135 L, 50 1.4 and 85 1.4 and to be honest after a lot of thinking I am probably going to switch. Nikon was my 1st camera, I owned 2 nikons and I prefer Nikon in general. After judgment of photos of 5d3 and d800 there is a strong evidence of Dxo's score adventage. The image quality of d800 is outstanding. I really regret that I came to canon camp once upon a time. I am not 100% sure if I switch, but If had a chance to start from scratch I would buy d800 for my studio and I am sure about it.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
I have to say no.

Im still a crop shooter looking to go full frame so I am going to have to sell 50% of my lenses to switch.

I really love both cameras TBH. I dont think either win they are both fantastic but aimed differently. The DR and noise difference is minimal if you ask me in real world terms. If you are a good photographer DR should be less of an issue and the 5D MKIII has the edge in noise.

The D800 is also slow, 4fps is poor although needed because of the huge files! 6fps gives you a great range for everyday to sports shooting. The 5D MKIII best all round camera out of the two and the file size is perfect! I dont understand the crave for more! Soon as it gets printed which lets be honest photography is all about, the images will be indistinguishable up to A2 (which is bigger than 50% people with these cameras will print). If you dont print especially with beautiful cameras like these whats the point in having one?

This discussion of changing is an old one, and what happens if canon bring out a industry changer again next time round? We will have the same discussion again. Taking it from a pros perspective the camera is a tool not a museum piece my camera is wrecked, it has gafa tape all over it the rear LCD is cracked but still takes cracking pics. I use crop because I am a sports shooter and like the range. Also the newspapers I shoot for dont demand extreme quality but still fancy the 5D MKIII.

IMO a perfect camera a supercharged 40D which has been my favourite all round canon camera to date. Fast, good IQ, value for money.

Canon cant compete pixel to pixel at the moment but if you need that resolution the pentax 645 or hasselblad H40 is the way forward, most pros wont worry about the cost because its their bread and butter they make their living from it and most of the time it may sound fickle but other people will have 5Ds or Nikon equivalents on the shoots and they need to have the best of the best to give confidence to the clients.

Most people here who are complaining arent pros which is the problem half of you are dreamers and dont shoot professionally. Pros are not hung up on gear as much as the subject, its just a tool! We are at a point where most cameras give incredible quality its what you fill the frame with, how you light it and the print thats important.

The gear thing is getting far too heated IMO. So go out and shoot and enjoy yourselves instead of getting frustrated.

Upvote 0
Yup, still watching events unfold this year... If I change, then I will follow the same route as Mt Spokane ie grab a body & a lens or two and run them in parallel. After a year of using both, decide which fits my needs...

For me, hiring for a weekend or week is not enough, I think I would prefer to buy & sell 2nd hand if it does not work out. Similarly, I have no problems in picking up 2nd hand Nikon or Canon.

What worries me more about Canon currently is their apparent shift to charging more for equipment, which appears to fly in the face of a lot of tech companies who tend to give you more value than the previous generation but maintain the price. It is a longer term game for me. I am currently picking over what my likely spend would be in equipment over the next 3 to 4 years across all facets and deciding which is likely to fit my needs. But I don't think I will decide until the end of the year at the earliest.

Till then, I will be spending my money on mostly photographic trips and perhaps a couple of 2nd hand items to fill a couple of gaps.

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
Depends what Dark Side you're talking about, does film count?

I've already got a lot of Pentacon Six mount lenses used via adapter on my 7D, so instead of going for a 5D3 or D8000, I'm contemplating a $500 Hartblei 1006 M and a few 645 backs, for the other $3000 I can buy a *lot* of rolls of Velvia and maybe a nice film-scanner to boot...

Upvote 0

mws

Nov 9, 2010
Nope. Both Canon and Nikon and can take great pictures, Nikon might get better results under lab conditions, but in my case, (and probably a lot of other peoples) the quality is ultimatley limited by the user. While I'm not the worlds worst photographer, I'm also not the next Ansel Adams. I probably wouldn't notice a difference if my end results with either one.

Many years ago when I bought my first film SLR (Elan IIe) Iwent to the store, tried both the Canon and the Nikon, and like the wau the Canon felt in my hands, the button placement etc, and have beeb with Canon ever since.

Its no different then Ford vs. Chevy. Some people will only drive one or the other untill the day they die, while others just need a truck and will drive what ever they happen to like better when they buy one.

Upvote 0
IMO, anyone who hasn't considered it isn't serious about their hardware. In fact, I'd point out that there aren't just two sides. I consider the smaller brands too.

But, not only do I have a glass investment with Canon, I also have a personal familarity with it, not that it woudln't translate into a reasonable familiarity with any brand, but I have never picked up a Canon SLR and felt out of place. Sure, some buttons are missing, there might be a new button here and there, and certain placement varies a little, but when I pick up a friend's Nikon (yes, I'm friends with Nikon owners), there is a different philosophy in place which is reflected in the buttons/switches, their functions, and their layouts. Its not amazingly different, but its different enough. There are times I like the Nikon philosophy better, but not usually.

I think if I had started with Nikon, I'd prefer it, just as I prefer Canon since I started with them. There is the old saying about "the grass is always greener". Sometimes the grass is actually greener, but that usually means more maneur. People starting off have a great chance to invest in the manufacture that best fits their hands and their minds. I wish all experienced people would push newbies into trying both/all cameras equally and getting them a great fit, instead of pushing them into their own choice.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.