HDR files

Wm

7DMKII
Jun 11, 2018
LA
Wasn’t sure where to put this - here, tech support or HDR picture posts..... Don’t use HDR shooting much, but today I did a few. I write raw to a CF card and jpeg to SD. When I imported my raw pics to PS Lightroom I saw the cr2 files.

So, I was looking for my HDR files and did not know how to find them. How do I tell which pictures are the HDR ones In LR ? The Adobe folks couldn’t help.

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Wm.
Did you check the SD card, I seem to recall that the HDR files are saved as a jpeg with the option to delete or keep the original RAW files.
Do you have Lightroom set to show RGB and RAW or just RAW?

I’m going to check the manual for this!

Cheers, Graham.

Edit.
I was basically correct with my original reply, the manual is not specific as to where the jpeg will be stored when you are using RAW to CF and jpeg to SD.
Info is on P 233 of the English manual assuming this is for the 7DII in your foot note.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wm

7DMKII
Jun 11, 2018
LA
So this is what I figured out. There is no way to tell, that I know of, which of my pictures on the SD card are the HDR pictures - easily. I did notice on my CF raw card a couple of .jpg files. In looking at the file names numbering sequencing they go let’s say, .1, .2, .3 cr2 to a .6 jpg. As I only took 2 HDR’s and had only 2 .jpg’s mixed in with the .cr2’s, and the odd numbering, I’m assuming they are the HDR pics.

When and if I take more, I can search for .jpg on the Raw card and then I know. Not sure of the easiest way to tell on the .jpg / SD card.

Upvote 0

Wm

7DMKII
Jun 11, 2018
LA
okay, I figured out the process. I was wrong on the file numbering - they do go in ascending order. my mistake. on the cf raw card - there are 4 files - 3 raw .CR2 then the .jpg final pic. On the SD .jpg card, also 4 files - the 3 shots which are .jpg and a final merged .jpg.

so it seems that there is no easy way to tell on the SD card which is the final HDR. I guess I have to look through the the raw files, make a note of the final jpg and the preceding shots then go to the SD card to find them.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I've never had occasion to try in-camera HDR (well, except on my iPhone long ago). I'm sure there are use cases for it, but they haven't come up for me.

I like the level of control in Filmstrip mode of Bridge/ACR. (I trust there is something similar in Lightroom.) So I take 3 bracketed RAW shots (or 5 in rare instances) and then choose them in Bridge. I do the blending from the filmstrip pulldown menu. For me this seems to work better than the alternatives directly in Photoshop. So if you haven't tried that (and if it won't mess up your workflow and schedule), I suggest you check it out.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Wm.
Glad to hear you have it sorted, I’m guessing the best way to identify the shots on the jpeg card will be write the down the numbers (you know like on a piece of paper with a pencil or pen (or quill if you please!):unsure:) from the jpegs on the CF card and then you will know. ;):)

Cheers, Graham.

okay, I figured out the process. I was wrong on the file numbering - they do go in ascending order. my mistake. on the cf raw card - there are 4 files - 3 raw .CR2 then the .jpg final pic. On the SD .jpg card, also 4 files - the 3 shots which are .jpg and a final merged .jpg.

so it seems that there is no easy way to tell on the SD card which is the final HDR. I guess I have to look through the the raw files, make a note of the final jpg and the preceding shots then go to the SD card to find them.

Upvote 0