Help! 1DX II Cfast issues!

Got my new 1DX II. First photoshoot, 300 photos and 17 videos. Everything is good until I import the photos to Apple Aperture. The photos come as unsupported format with a question mark. After it's done. I realize the files are not right and go back to check the card and ALL the photos and videos are gone! Check the space available and it's 64GB!!! No images. Th images already on my computer are not usable. They show as cr2 but the size is 0x0. I can't use the videos although they show the correct time and MB count.
I tried using data recovery software but nothing sees the new Cfast card.
I had to download an app that did see the Cfast and recovered the files but they still are corrupted. I can open individual cr2 photos in photoshop but they don't have previews or icons. At least I can use them.
I'm desperate cause I lost a whole shoot. Videos won't open and lost money and time and I'm embarrassed with my client.
Does anybody know what repair viideo corruption app to use? I used all-i 59.94 fhd mov format.
Thanx in advance!
Patrick

neuroanatomist said:
Well, the 'unsupported format with a question mark' you're seeing in Aperture is probably because Apple's most recent Digital Camera RAW update (6.19) doesn't yet support the 1D X II.
No, they show as corrupted on the desktop as well. Look

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-09 at 11.37.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-09 at 11.37.52 AM.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 2,887
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
clicstudio said:
neuroanatomist said:
Well, the 'unsupported format with a question mark' you're seeing in Aperture is probably because Apple's most recent Digital Camera RAW update (6.19) doesn't yet support the 1D X II.
No, they show as corrupted on the desktop as well. Look

Exactly. For Macs, Digital Camera RAW is OS-wide compatibility - Finder, Preview, Photos, Aperture (until it eventually breaks), Keynote, Pages, previews in dialog boxes, thumbnails, everything.

Upvote 0
I'm really sorry to hear your story. It truly sucks. :'(

This is why I typically wait a while before I buy the newest tech (camera or otherwise) and then I test the crap out of it before I use it in "official" work. (ie: Work for others or "clients".) Plus, the 1DX-II has dual card slots for redundancy.

Please keep us posted on how things turn out and GOOD LUCK.

Do you think it's possibly a BAD CARD? Also, make sure it's not a COUNTERFEIT CARD! I always test every card before I put them in service to avoid these types of problems. Even legitimate memory can have problems occasionally.

https://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
pierlux said:
IglooEater said:
Does DPP work?
That would have been my next suggestion, too. DPP is not bad at all. Actually, it's what I use to convert RAWs.

I use DPP when I buy a newly-launched camera, as it's generally the only thing that immediately supports the new RAW format. Was true for my 1D X and one of the PowerShot S-series. Might be the OP's first experience with a camera not out long enough to be supported by most RAW converters (I use DxO, and because they develop camera+lens modules, they take a while to support a new model.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
The latest version of Lightroom also supports the 1DX2. I also use DxO OP but haven't seen an update yet. I stopped using Aperture a while ago when they put it on the back burner. I didn't check out Photos on the Mac yet to see if it supports the 1DX2/CFast. I don't believe it popped up when I connected the card to my Mac. Something to do tonight after work.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
pierlux said:
IglooEater said:
Does DPP work?
That would have been my next suggestion, too. DPP is not bad at all. Actually, it's what I use to convert RAWs.

I use DPP when I buy a newly-launched camera, as it's generally the only thing that immediately supports the new RAW format. Was true for my 1D X and one of the PowerShot S-series. Might be the OP's first experience with a camera not out long enough to be supported by most RAW converters (I use DxO, and because they develop camera+lens modules, they take a while to support a new model.

I started using DPP because at the time I got the 300D there weren't alternatives, or maybe there were, but I didn't know. Got used to it, then went on using it (also because it's what Bryan Carnathan used in his digital workflow, don't know if he still uses DPP, now I'll check, out of curiosity). The latest releases are really good, IMHO. Plus it's free :).

Upvote 0

fish_shooter

Underwater Photographer
Oct 9, 2013
Alaska
www.salmonography.com
There is a possibility that when Apple gets around to updating OSX and you upload the update that you will be able to open your files. So I would not give up just yet. This may have been obvious so I apologize if you already knew this.

For my own workflow I do not let any software do the copying of my files from CF or SD cards (and Cfast in a few days!) onto computer HDs. I do it always with the OS. This results in more than one copy as one copy stays on the card until it is reformatted (I copy rather than move). As well I may use the card redundancy method (with my 1Dx only) so have a second card with another copy. I will also copy to a second HD when traveling before staring any work on the files. I start culling with Photomechanic. After culling I will important the remaining files into Lightroom. Backup copies are at this point not culled so if they have to be used because I screwed up then they will to be culled first before going into Lightroom - this has happened once. The above workflow is a tad slower than going directly from a card to the photo software but it has less chance of trashing the files. For example if Lightroom (or other software) crashed while importing from a CF card (or other card type) there is a possibility (even if extremely remote) of corrupting the files.

Good luck
Tom

Upvote 0
clicstudio said:
Does anybody know what repair video corruption app to use? I used all-i 59.94 fhd mov format.
Thanx in advance!
Patrick

Besides the fact that the latest OS X does not support the camera, you should also look at your card. Some older specification ones are not supported.

Upvote 0
I know. I trusted there wouldn't be any issues. Everything was fine until I downloaded the photos and they got somehow deleted from the card. I just didn't expect the transfer to delete all the images. I was able to recover all photos, they only show up in DPP and Lightroom but I don't use LR so I don't know. I will have to wait until Apple releases support for the camera raw files from the MK II. I was able to recover some videos but they are not smooth, they have a lot of dropped frames so they are unusable... I contacted Sandisk and they sent me a complimentary copy of rescue pro deluxe. I will try and see if the software will recover the videos.
Cheers and thanks to all for your help!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
fish_shooter said:
For my own workflow I do not let any software do the copying of my files from CF or SD cards (and Cfast in a few days!) onto computer HDs.

Also good advice. Manually copy the files from the card, don't 'import' them. After copying, import them from your local drive into your favorite editor/converter.

Upvote 0

nvsravank

CR Pro
Feb 2, 2012
Bah! Copy using Lightroom etc is ok as long as you don't touch those settings that move instead of copy.
Don't use the delete functions.

I have had multiple times that the import failed etc, but never once lost something outright. Just use the right settings.

Delete only after verify.

neuroanatomist said:
fish_shooter said:
For my own workflow I do not let any software do the copying of my files from CF or SD cards (and Cfast in a few days!) onto computer HDs.

Also good advice. Manually copy the files from the card, don't 'import' them. After copying, import them from your local drive into your favorite editor/converter.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Yup, I use the Canon SW to download pics through camera USB, and of course no delete until I've imported to LR and verify they work. And if they are important-ish, I don't delete from card until I've made manual back-up copy of the files.

Camera USB transfer is slower than USB3 reader, but most cases it's still fast enough that I don't care. Only when I have >100GB pics, I take out the card reader.

Upvote 0