Help decoding programmer speak please! (Reikan FoCal)

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
I just downloaded the new Reikan FoCal version, sorted the licence, connected my cameras, the 7D and 7DII connected properly, the 1DsIII gives me this message,

“The following error occured while trying to connect to the camera:
The method or operation is not implemented.”

This is the full message as copied and pasted from the pop up box, does anyone here have any ideas as to what it might mean?
Given the differences between the custom settings of the three bodies, as far as is possible they are set up the same, BBF and live view enabled. These are 2 settings that have given me issues with connection to software before.
All three bodies connect to the previous version of FoCal without issue, I just wish the error message could give an explanation instead of a riddle!
I have looked on the FoCal support blog but was unable to find anything relevant, I will ask Reikan for help via the form but I don’t expect an answer over the weekend and it would be nice to try this on all three of my bodies.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this, any suggestions of settings that have given you problems connecting to FoCal will be gratefully received.

Cheers, Graham.

Last edited:

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
Thanks for ideas, there is no code associated, but it does initially identify the camera showing a brief message saying something like found camera 1DsIII, connecting to camera. Then the message shown above pops up.
I can try the mirror lockup manually, or perhaps try setting the lockup delay to zero.
Beyond that it is a support request.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Nico.
I tried setting mirror lockup to zero and using different cables and not going through a USB hub and none of that worked either, I too am in communication with Reikan and followed all the advice given, set Av, no card installed, lens attached, single point focus and some more which escape me, nothing worked, I also tried resetting default program settings, no change. Although I thought my copying and pasting the warning message text and sending it should have been adequate I am going to send a screenshot of the error message as requested. I will keep this post updated if I make any progress.
Sorry to hear you are having problems too, but also happy to know that I’m not alone! :oops::)

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
I just tryed to disable some settings in camera but nothing works...

I have sent the debug log to reikan and screenshots of the error, but I have no reply to my question.

The method described by AlanF is right, but I paid for a software that should did this thing for me and I doesn't want to waste my time taking hundred of photo on an optical target.

I will let you know if and when they answer me.

Thank you all for now

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
I thought I had cracked it, I connected a camera in AIServo and got a different unintelligible message, switched to one shot AF and it connected properly, tried the 1DsIII but no dice! :confused:
Is it hard to create a debug report? I guess the more of these they have the more likely they are to be able to find a problem?

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hi Folks.
I thought I had cracked it, I connected a camera in AIServo and got a different unintelligible message, switched to one shot AF and it connected properly, tried the 1DsIII but no dice! :confused:
Is it hard to create a debug report? I guess the more of these they have the more likely they are to be able to find a problem?

Cheers, Graham.
It's in the Instructions to use only one shot AF.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Nico.
My 1DsIII will connect to FoCal 2.6, my problem only happens on the new version.
Could you explain how to do a debug report please?

Hi Alan.
Yes I realise this, and it warns about checking this when starting to test, I would bet that at least the 7DII was set on AI Servo, if not the 7D as well, thing is they still connect to the software even set wrong, just wont test like that.
I think the other camera was a random issue, possibly with the licence check as it was a new addition to the licence to see if FoCal could read the shutter count on a friends 80D after DSLR Controller refused quoting Disabled by manufacturer! Apparently Canon don’t want us to know! :(

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0