Help me choose: Canon G7X or Sony RX100 IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
During last year, my wife is shooting more as before. Her Nikon Coolpix S6500 needs to be replaced. So I was thinking about a new compact camera as a gift for Xmas.

She likes to photograph landscapes and portraits of family and kids. No need for large FL, 100 is more then sufficient. I would love to see here photos in Raw, because this gives me more possibility for combining here photos with mine after holiday/safari. So IQ has importance for that reason. For the same reason, I would love to see a Av or M modus, so that even when I didn't have one of my cameras, I have the possibility to control the exposure. She will however use this camera mostly in Auto or SCN mode.

I like in the Canon range the G7X. This really looks a nice camera for here. Compact, easy to place in a handbag. Touchscreen, but only usable above peoples head by turning the device 180degr, because the LED can only be moved in one direction. Build in EVF. Very nice lens with 24-100mm zoom and fast 1.8-2.8 aperture. The SCN scenes are only 5 to choose from. There is no dedicated Landscape or Panorama modus.

The Sony RX100 IV does also look a tempting camera to me. About the same size as the Canon. No touchscreen, but the LED of this camera can be moved 180degr upwards, but also 45 degrees downwards. Build in EVF. Lens with 24-70mm zoom, and fast 1.8-2.8 aperture, however the Canon seems to be faster as the switching points to other apertures happens further in tele reach. Nice build in Panorama function, almost like Iphone. SCN mode with portrait, sport, landscape, sunset, macro,... all easy reachable for her.

Money is not the issue in this case.

Who can give me some advice based on your own experiences with one of these camera, please not based on what you can read on internet.

So every practical advice/opinion about one of these 2 camera is really appreciated to help me take the right decision.

Thanks,

Francois

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
HI FEBS!

I didn't use any of those two, I own a Canon DSLR and I really don't like Sony (to be polite).
So I pesonally won't give you any recomendation,
although I belive that the Sony AF might be the faster one and the Canon has the better focal range.

But if you like you can read here (I just came across this because of another post):
http://www.glennbartley.com/naturephotography/articles/gear.htm#Bodies

At the bottom are Glenns comments on G7X vs. Sony RX100 IV

Upvote 0

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
Maximilian said:
HI FEBS!

I didn't use any of those two, I own a Canon DSLR and I really don't like Sony (to be polite).
So I pesonally won't give you any recomendation,
although I belive that the Sony AF might be the faster one and the Canon has the better focal range.

But if you like you can read here (I just came across this because of another post):
http://www.glennbartley.com/naturephotography/articles/gear.htm#Bodies

At the bottom are Glenns comments on G7X vs. Sony RX100 IV

Thx Maximilian,

Now that I read it again, I remember it. I do follow Glenn for some time, as I like his bird photography very much.

Upvote 0

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
candc said:
Back when I was trying to decide between the rx100iii and g7x I read that the Sony was better at the wide end so I choose it. Its a great little camera with a lot of nice features.

Thx for your reply Candc.

For sure they have both very nice features. I will look for your remark concerning the wide end, as I didn't see this remark before. As my wife likes landscapes, this might be a very important point for me. Thx very much.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
FEBS said:
candc said:
Back when I was trying to decide between the rx100iii and g7x I read that the Sony was better at the wide end so I choose it. Its a great little camera with a lot of nice features.

For sure they have both very nice features. I will look for your remark concerning the wide end, as I didn't see this remark before. As my wife likes landscapes, this might be a very important point for me. Thx very much.

Landscapes are usually stopped down, so a wider aperture is more useful for portraits than landscapes. But ... Portraits are usually at 85-135mm, so the Sony is not able to use the most common portrait focal lengths. It has fast AF, but the short zoom range limits its wildlife use. It will be better for focusing on rapidly moving subjects within its 24-70mm range.

Both are excellent, and as long as you pick the one which matches your usage, you will like it.

Beware of features that have little practical application, and choose the ones with value to your shooting.

Upvote 0
FEBS said:
candc said:

The problem with the g7x at the wide angle end is that the lens has a lot of barrel distortion and it does not cover the sensor corners. The camera applies some kind of correction to stretch it out but the result is the corners are soft. I wanted it mainly for landscapes so that turned me off to it.

Imaging resources discusses it here. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-g7x/canon-g7xA4.HTM

Upvote 0

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
privatebydesign said:
G7X, once you get used to a touchscreen on a P&S there is no going back.

As for IQ differences, they are small but I think the Canon wins in most areas I would use them. http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/canon/g7x/vs/sony/rx100-iv/image-quality

Thanks privatebydesign ,

Your link is indeed giving me some useful info about IQ

Upvote 0

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Both are excellent, and as long as you pick the one which matches your usage, you will like it.

Beware of features that have little practical application, and choose the ones with value to your shooting.

That's the way I try to make my choice. Thx.

Upvote 0

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
candc said:
The problem with the g7x at the wide angle end is that the lens has a lot of barrel distortion and it does not cover the sensor corners. The camera applies some kind of correction to stretch it out but the result is the corners are soft. I wanted it mainly for landscapes so that turned me off to it.

Imaging resources discusses it here. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-g7x/canon-g7xA4.HTM

Thanks Candc,

I did hear about the soft corners at wide angle. Now I understand why that happens.

Upvote 0

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
Thanks all,

Just to give you my conclusion which is based on the way my wife is shooting. I did see both cameras today at the local shop. So I had to take a decision and the one I did bring home (as a gift for Xmas) is the Sony RX100 IV. I am quite convinced that this camera will be used quickly by my wife.

Thank you all.

Francois

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.