Help to understand Canon 1DXII viewfinder information

Jun 12, 2015
Just now, I saw something I haven't seen before. I was taking a picture with my 1DXII, and for some reason, the letter "E" was appearing next to the shutter speed inside the viewfinder, like this "E30" - when shooting at 1/30 of a second. I shot in AV mode.

I turned it into manual mode, and back to AV mode, and the "E" was gone.

The camera seemed to be working fine, but I really hope someone could tell me what the "E" means. Help would be appreciated!

Jun 12, 2015
Viggo said:
If it was an error code you can go into the yellow menu and check “system status display” enter and “info”.

Thank you, Viggo. I should have thought of that. I am happy to report that no error was recorded. That took away my concern, which was most important. Still, I would still like to know what that "E" means.

If it helps with understanding the "incident", I can report that it was dark. I shot handheld at f/4 (trying out my new 11-24L that I got used ;) ) at 1/30 sec at 16000 ISO. My first thought was that the E indicated that the camera wouldn't drop the shutter speed any slower (using AV mode), but like I said, it didn't repeat itself after using M and than AV mode again.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Viggo said:
I’ve looked at the images I could find of the viewfinder display which shows all possible icons in fhe VF, but I can’t see any “E” where in the viewfinder was it?

It was at the bottom inside the viewfinder, where the shutter speed is displayed. In my case the shutter speed (1/30) was marked like this: "E30" instead of the normal "30".

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Larsskv said:
Viggo said:
I’ve looked at the images I could find of the viewfinder display which shows all possible icons in fhe VF, but I can’t see any “E” where in the viewfinder was it?

It was at the bottom inside the viewfinder, where the shutter speed is displayed. In my case the shutter speed (1/30) was marked like this: "E30" instead of the normal "30".

Hmm, can it have something to do with the safety shift feature?

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Viggo said:
Larsskv said:
Viggo said:

Hmm, can it have something to do with the safety shift feature?

I was shooting in auto ISO, so I don’t see why safety shift should kick in. I don’t think t is enabled either. I will check if I have set a limit on the ISO, but I don’t think so. (Before I do, I must wait for my camera to heat up again after a day outside in the cold.)

Upvote 0

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
www.flickr.com
According to Page 31 of the 1Dx Mark II manual, an Error Code [Err] can appear in the location where the Shutter Speed is displayed. Links to the manuals in .PDF format can be found on Canon USA's User Manual page:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/camera-user-manual

Error Code E30 would appear to be an issue with the Shutter. From the Canon-Europe.com site:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/camera_settings/eos_error_codes_and_messages.do

Err 30

Description: A malfunction with the shutter has been detected.

Resolution: Turn the power off, then remove and re-install the battery. Then turn the power on again.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Viggo, Valvebounce and DJL329, thank you very much for your helpful suggestions.

Viggo - I just checked, and safety shift is not turned on. Otherwise, it would seem to be a likely explanation.

Valvebounce - I am Norwegian, but when it comes to the icons displayed in the viewfinder, the various symbols are displayed the same, regardless of language settings.

DJL329 - You had a good suggestion, but I didn't experience any shutter issues. Further no error is logged in the camera status log, so it seems unlikely that your suggestion is the correct explanation.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Larsskv.
Ok, I find that interesting, so it is basically only the ‘key’ to the display that changes via the instructions, I didn’t realise, (obviously)! :)

Cheers, Graham.

Larsskv said:
Viggo, Valvebounce and DJL329, thank you very much for your helpful suggestion.

Valvebounce - I am Norwegian, but when it comes to the icons displayed in the viewfinder, the various symbols are displayed the same, regardless of language settings.

Upvote 0