Here’s a list of rumoured and predicted cameras coming from Canon in the next year

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Curious if anyone who wants two cards for backup in case a card dies, is happy with the camera's ability to sync photos via Blutooth to a smart phone? I've tried it myself and it works but is a bit slow on my relatively old iPhone. I don't know if its faster on newer phones or if that speed difference make the difference between eliminating the need for two-card camera for anyone or not.
not a solution as a BT or WiFi sync operation is substantially slower than the write to memory card operation is. Your backup job will be massively out of sync and therefore you are risking a substantial volume of data. This cannot be mitigated. A second card addresses this issue nicely.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
My simple wish is a Canon EOS M6 Mark II with reliable Eye-AF. Don't care about IBIS, video, Joystick, 2 card slots, but if you wanna give me some of that, Canon, feel free to do so.

I wouldn't mind IBIS, but yes, I'm also waiting for on M6 Mark II, the EVF on my M50 is only used to make it juuuuuust too big for dashpoint bags I use for the M1.

Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
I m using my 5DIV more often in liveview then before with my 5DII. The liveview AF is for not flying birds or sports always better then the normal mirrored one. So if there is a n "always" liveview version of an 5DIV equivalent It would be awesome!!! Can't be that hard for Canon to develop one. Maybe 4-6 MP more, 2-3 pics/s more, IBIS, same or little bit better IQ, no crop for video (4k)...thats it.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Curious if anyone who wants two cards for backup in case a card dies, is happy with the camera's ability to sync photos via Blutooth to a smart phone? I've tried it myself and it works but is a bit slow on my relatively old iPhone. I don't know if its faster on newer phones or if that speed difference make the difference between eliminating the need for two-card camera for anyone or not.
Who needs two card slots? It's like a car driver saying, "Who needs seat-belts and airbags or insurance? I've never had a crash..."
Just wait till you have to call a soon to be ex-client saying there was a memory card fail and we've got no shots. It's happened to me. Even top quality cards fail, though very rarely. To state the endlessly posted and bleeding obvious, recording RAW to two cards is the simplest insurance imaginable.

Photographers who value their work be they enthusiast or professional will choose the two slot camera body every time. Thus, I don't have an RF body yet.

-pw

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Who needs two card slots? It's like a car driver saying, "Who needs seat-belts and airbags or insurance? I've never had a crash..."
Just wait till you have to call a soon to be ex-client saying there was a memory card fail and we've got no shots. It's happened to me. Even top quality cards fail, though very rarely. To state the endlessly posted and bleeding obvious, recording RAW to two cards is the simplest insurance imaginable.

Photographers who value their work be they enthusiast or professional will choose the two slot camera body every time. Thus, I don't have an RF body yet.

-pw

I once got a shot of an owl monkey poking its head out of a hole in a tree in the Ecuadorean Amazon. Super cool shot and rare species! Anyway the only sharp image had corrupt on the card... Wish I was using a 2 card body then!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Really excited to find out what this 90D/7D3 replacement actually has to offer. I think the 10fps is fast enough for 7D users if it means better DR and also with the higher MP count. The only thing that seems “less 7D-ish” at the moment is the rumoured 45 point AF. Surely it’s not the same system that’s currently in the 80D?!

Upvote 0
Really excited to find out what this 90D/7D3 replacement actually has to offer. I think the 10fps is fast enough for 7D users if it means better DR and also with the higher MP count. The only thing that seems “less 7D-ish” at the moment is the rumoured 45 point AF. Surely it’s not the same system that’s currently in the 80D?!

If it is the rumored 45 point system, you can bet it will be the same system as in the 80d.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
If it is the rumored 45 point system, you can bet it will be the same system as in the 80d.

Which would be a strange choice.. Why not equip it with the old 7D2 system? It could be a totally new system that’s better at tracking and stuff but just happens to also have 45 points. We’ll see!

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
You may not get around the block much !! I'm hearing from photographers on forums, Facebook and Instagram who have been buying RF 85mm lenses. More than I anticipated to hear about. Sounds like the opposite of what you can afford, but totally in line with the purchasers are acquiring and sharing.

But when the EOS R was first released, I was suprised by how many photographers were buying the RF 50mm and not just the kit lens. I bought the RF 50mm and although it is not inexpensive, it's one of my favorite lenses and reminds me of the Zeiss Milvus 85mm I used to have for how nice the photos look. It may be that RF 85mm buyers share more on the internet, but regardless, there seems some fair movement with sales.
People buying the 85 are the few people that actually got money for the best of the best. Those are the the usual suspects. I could see the 50mm selling better or being important to many canon users in general because there hasnt had a very sharp, and fast accurate focus 50mm. also the FL is pretty versatile. A lot of reviews that praise it say hold out on the R if you can and wait for the pro body.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I too am curious what the 90D/7D3 replacement. I would have thought FPS is one of the main raison d'etres of the 7D series. I'd personally be very disappointed if the FPS is 10 or less. For me then it would be no 7D replacement at all. I would never say no to a better focussing system.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
I lost photos of butterflies and orchids to a memory card failure while in lower Himalayas back in 2016. Luckily I always change cards every 24 hrs so I only lost photos shot in those 24 hrs but still it sucks and since then I havent had time to go back to same spot for those rare butterflies(oakleaf, silverlines and blues) or those orchids. Dual card slots a must for me these days and a reason why I am shooting on Nikon(D7200) more frequently these days.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
I lost photos of butterflies and orchids to a memory card failure while in lower Himalayas back in 2016. Luckily I always change cards every 24 hrs so I only lost photos shot in those 24 hrs but still it sucks and since then I havent had time to go back to same spot for those rare butterflies(oakleaf, silverlines and blues) or those orchids. Dual card slots a must for me these days and a reason why I am shooting on Nikon(D7200) more frequently these days.

My method of insurance is changing cards too! I prefer to use a few more 16gb or even 8gb cards opposed to 32 or 64s.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
I too am curious what the 90D/7D3 replacement. I would have thought FPS is one of the main raison d'etres of the 7D series. I'd personally be very disappointed if the FPS is 10 or less. For me then it would be no 7D replacement at all. I would never say no to a better focussing system.

What if the 10fps was a bit slower than anticipated to allow much better DR along with the increased megapixels though? Good trade off I would have thought?

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
2020 will be a critical year for Canon. They've had a stranglehold on the professional market for many years.
Their dominance at the Olympics / World Cup sidelines really cement their image as being number 1.
Sony are making alot of effort into this market.
While we've got used to the click clack of cameras at events I can see more and more events / conventions insisting on mirrorless cameras.
At a Democratic debate a few months ago cameras unless silent were only allowed during applause.
Wimbledon I'm sure probably has strict rules.
Silent shooting is very handy for Wedding photographers too.
Photographing professionally you need double cards. Rare though it is I have had corrupted photographs. I've also had SD cards fall apart.
I'm probably a typical hard core Canon user. I'm heavily invested in Canon Lens.
These will last for many more years. My 3 cameras 5D IV, 5DSR and 7DII are all well used and battered at this stage.
I'm open to moving to Canon mirrorless. I'd be reluctant to add any more EF lens to the collection.
Future lens purchases would mean R lens.
If I were to switch to Sony then 2020 would be the year to do it and it would depend on what Canon bring out.
I'd get by with a Sony with a 70-200 / 24-70 lens set and use Canon for everything else.
Here's hoping Canon do bring a strong set of cameras in 2020 and I don't have to consider switching..

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
What if the 10fps was a bit slower than anticipated to allow much better DR along with the increased megapixels though? Good trade off I would have thought?
I guess it all depends what you do with the camera. I do alot of sport with it. Increased MP isn't of huge interest. Better DR wouldn't bother me on a new 7D (would be more interested in this for landscape work with a full frame camera). Better high ISO performance would be important to me. More FPS would be very helpful.The 7DII was ordinary at higher ISO's even when it came out.
I could see for birding increased MP's would be desirable.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
I guess it all depends what you do with the camera. I do alot of sport with it. Increased MP isn't of huge interest. Better DR wouldn't bother me on a new 7D (would be more interested in this for landscape work with a full frame camera). Better high ISO performance would be important to me. More FPS would be very helpful.The 7DII was ordinary at higher ISO's even when it came out.
I could see for birding increased MP's would be desirable.
Yes for me as a birder, MP’s, dinamic range and low light performance are what I need. 10fps is plenty unless you’re shooting an osprey catching a fish or something. We shall see!

Upvote 0
Canon EOS RS: Would be interesting for me because it delivers ~24 MPix with APS-C crop and is compatible with the APS-C resolution of the M system: 70-200 f/4 on the RS as all purpose lens with FF / if I need longer effective focal range but not more resolution I switch to APS-C with 110-320mm effective focal length / the M50 with EF-M 32 for standard focal length. For me a promising 2-camera-setup for 99% of tasks: landscape, documentation, nature, moderate close-up and if you need high res ... always possible with FF and related lenses.

4k crop with 2x2 binning will be in the 1.2x territory which is acceptable and leaves room for electronic image stabilization. Not that I am in the NEED for 4k but I think this camera will cost 3500 &/€ and it should last at least 5 years.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
EOS M
I don’t care much about the EOS M system, as I still believe it isn’t being taken seriously at Canon. We haven’t heard anything about new EOS M cameras in quite some time. An update of the EOS M5 would make sense around the launch of the EOS 90D, but we’re just guessing at this point.

I, on the other hand, only care about the EOS M system. :p

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0