Here’s a list of rumoured and predicted cameras coming from Canon in the next year

Canon EOS-1D X Mark III
I'm all onboard for the 1D X III. Despite transitioning to the Sony a9 for motor racing events, nothing beats the 1D X for wildlife, especially when the weather and conditions are cold, wet, and nasty or hot and dusty. Read: Svalbard, North Slope, Namibia. I've accidentally dunked my 1D X in frigid arctic water and used the others in pouring rain and blinding snow without a care or worry. Wouldn't try those weather conditions with the a9 for the love of money. However, when the weather is great, the 20fps of the a9 in complete silence is outstanding to behold, especially when compared to the machine gun firing of the 1D XII at 14fps.

Canon EOS RX
The RX is, for me at least, too little, too late. I have too much investment in Sony at this point, given they're just released two new supertelephotos. I worked the Chevrolet IndyCar Detroit Grand Prix this year and even limited to the Sony 100-400mm and the 70-200, I never missed my 1D X II (though the thunderstorm on the first day's afternoon gave me concern, but since the Marshalls evacuated the track, I missed nothing).

Canon RS
For me, this is a real hair-puller as I love my 5DSR for landscapes. It was also my preferred body for studio model photography (art nude, implied nude, full nude, adult) but this camera was set aside with the advent of the Sony a7RIII with facial focus and eye-capture. Besides, don't need weather-resistance in a studio. LOL

It's something to consider, and I would probably rent one and put it through it's paces. Landscape photography can see pretty crappy weather too, and my 5DSR has never complained. With my large stable of EF lenses, any performance reduction seen by using the adapter wouldn't matter in landscape. 60mp might justify trying out a few RF lenses.

EOS M
These were my first mirrorless, and I bought the M, M2, M3, M5, and M6...with all the Canon glass. Now Sigma announced three (3) lenses for the M-mount, so apparently somebody believes—if not Canon—in this camera. They'll never be a prime camera for me, but in a hip holster they weigh next to nothing and can be in my hand in seconds.

Yes, I probably will spring for the new one, depending upon the specs.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
My method of insurance is changing cards too! I prefer to use a few more 16gb or even 8gb cards opposed to 32 or 64s.
These days its getting harder to get 16GB cards and seems like 64GB is getting bare minimum for faster uhs-ii cards. I tend to use 32GB cards and even if I dont fill 6-7GB in a day and 32 GB cards are quite reasonable and reliable.

Upvote 0
I honestly don't care about the EOS M system. :) I've updated the post and now mention the EOS M system.
That said, I haven't heard anything for quite some time about new cameras for the system. It would make sense to come at the same time as the EOS 90D.

I'm the opposite. I've sold my 5D3 and most of my L lenses. I've kept my M6 and EF-M lenses because they are small, inexpensive, light and do a decent job on photos. The RF line of cameras don't measure up, and are not showing any sign of being competitive within the next 3 years and the cinema line is going big, heavy and expensive, the XC cameras appear to be abandonned, and the XF400 is beaten on all measures by Sony
The M system represents the only thing left that interests me from Canon.
I really hope they go all in with the M5 Mark II, but to be honest, Canon's expertise is at disappointing the small time video producers lately. They wowed us with the 5D2, then went to sleep on video, even regressed a lot with recent releases.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
EOS M rumor?
I'm still hoping for an M version of the 90D with an R mount ;O)

will not happen. EF-M is here to stay for many years to come. I fully expect M5/M6 successor/s still in 2019. And M50 Mk. II in first half of 2020. Hope Canon will use same form factor with pop-up EVF as in G5X II for M5 II and M50 II as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
These days its getting harder to get 16GB cards and seems like 64GB is getting bare minimum for faster uhs-ii cards. I tend to use 32GB cards and even if I dont fill 6-7GB in a day and 32 GB cards are quite reasonable and reliable.
Not really. I bought a 128GB SD card last night but had the choice of dozens of options below 64GB, heck you could still get a 1GB card for pennies along with lots of 8 and 16 GB options.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Photographers who value their work be they enthusiast or professional will choose the two slot camera body every time.
Yeah, back in film days I bought one of these:

F+n+H+Rolle+Old_jpg.jpg

I figured two lenses meant it would take shots to two rolls of film at once, as insurance. Imagine my disappointment.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Who needs two card slots? It's like a car driver saying, "Who needs seat-belts and airbags or insurance? I've never had a crash..."
Just wait till you have to call a soon to be ex-client saying there was a memory card fail and we've got no shots. It's happened to me. Even top quality cards fail, though very rarely. To state the endlessly posted and bleeding obvious, recording RAW to two cards is the simplest insurance imaginable.

Photographers who value their work be they enthusiast or professional will choose the two slot camera body every time. Thus, I don't have an RF body yet.

-pw
Race car drivers don’t have airbags or insurance and they get in more accidents, so it’s really a poor analogy, but they use good seatbelts that they maintain properly.

I have had two card cameras for years and basically never use them to ‘backup’ my images, on rare occasions I might use them for different things for different purposes but, personally, I don’t like the limitations Canon impose on most of their dual card cameras.

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
will not happen. EF-M is here to stay for many years to come. I fully expect M5/M6 successor/s still in 2019. And M50 Mk. II in first half of 2020. Hope Canon will use same form factor with pop-up EVF as in G5X II for M5 II and M50 II as well.

I doubt the M mount will disappear. Eventually, Canon will replace its Point and Shoot and APS-C cameras with mirrorless versions. The M mount would come into its own when that happens. The transition might take years.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Race car drivers don’t have airbags or insurance and they get in more accidents, so it’s really a poor analogy, but they use good seatbelts that they maintain properly.

I have had two card cameras for years and basically never use them to ‘backup’ my images, on rare occasions I might use them for different things for different purposes but, personally, I don’t like the limitations Canon impose on most of their dual card cameras.
Just curious, but what limitations are you talking about?

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
2020 will be a critical year for Canon. They've had a stranglehold on the professional market for many years.
Their dominance at the Olympics / World Cup sidelines really cement their image as being number 1.
Sony are making alot of effort into this market.
While we've got used to the click clack of cameras at events I can see more and more events / conventions insisting on mirrorless cameras.
At a Democratic debate a few months ago cameras unless silent were only allowed during applause.
Wimbledon I'm sure probably has strict rules.
Silent shooting is very handy for Wedding photographers too.
Photographing professionally you need double cards. Rare though it is I have had corrupted photographs. I've also had SD cards fall apart.
I'm probably a typical hard core Canon user. I'm heavily invested in Canon Lens.
These will last for many more years. My 3 cameras 5D IV, 5DSR and 7DII are all well used and battered at this stage.
I'm open to moving to Canon mirrorless. I'd be reluctant to add any more EF lens to the collection.
Future lens purchases would mean R lens.
If I were to switch to Sony then 2020 would be the year to do it and it would depend on what Canon bring out.
I'd get by with a Sony with a 70-200 / 24-70 lens set and use Canon for everything else.
Here's hoping Canon do bring a strong set of cameras in 2020 and I don't have to consider switching..
I wonder: why cant (or wont) they include a silent mode in dslrs? If I shoot in live view, why is there still a need for the shutter or mirror to move?

Upvote 0
People buying the 85 are the few people that actually got money for the best of the best. Those are the the usual suspects. I could see the 50mm selling better or being important to many canon users in general because there hasnt had a very sharp, and fast accurate focus 50mm. also the FL is pretty versatile. A lot of reviews that praise it say hold out on the R if you can and wait for the pro body.

Available financing can erase the basis of the money speculation. Either way, I find no shortage of people buying the RF 85 or RF 50. The lens I read about people purchasing less often is the 28-70mm. But either way, there's no less than 2 ways to buy them. All the money at one time, or easy payments over a number of months.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Just curious, but what limitations are you talking about?
Apart from the 1DX which uses two same type CF cards all Canon duals card slot cameras have different types of cards, this leads to different read and write speeds. I noticed early on if I wrote to two cards with my 1DS MkIII’s using the SD slot meant I couldn’t realize the CF slot speed. Same with the 1DX MKII and the CF slot to CFast slot.

It might sound silly but when the camera slows down you notice it and personally I’ll take the speed with the one card every time, I have missed way more moments over my career from me or the camera not being ready than I have ever lost to card corruption, indeed to neuro’s point about films, I lost way more film to processing scratches and misplaced rolls than I ever have to corrupt or lost cards. I just don’t buy in to this ‘serious amateurs and pros need to write to two cards’ idea.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Not really. I bought a 128GB SD card last night but had the choice of dozens of options below 64GB, heck you could still get a 1GB card for pennies along with lots of 8 and 16 GB options.
I am talking about the cards that you can rely on, I have quite a lot of cheap Sandisk Ultra and extreme series cards lying around here and there(just so I dont end up leaving memory cards back home). In general trend among memory card makers seems to be dropping smaller capacity cards with each new release for their faster series that comes out.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
2020 will be a critical year for Canon. They've had a stranglehold on the professional market for many years.
Their dominance at the Olympics / World Cup sidelines really cement their image as being number 1.
Sony are making alot of effort into this market.
While we've got used to the click clack of cameras at events I can see more and more events / conventions insisting on mirrorless cameras.
At a Democratic debate a few months ago cameras unless silent were only allowed during applause.
Wimbledon I'm sure probably has strict rules.
Silent shooting is very handy for Wedding photographers too.
Photographing professionally you need double cards. Rare though it is I have had corrupted photographs. I've also had SD cards fall apart.
I'm probably a typical hard core Canon user. I'm heavily invested in Canon Lens.
These will last for many more years. My 3 cameras 5D IV, 5DSR and 7DII are all well used and battered at this stage.
I'm open to moving to Canon mirrorless. I'd be reluctant to add any more EF lens to the collection.
Future lens purchases would mean R lens.
If I were to switch to Sony then 2020 would be the year to do it and it would depend on what Canon bring out.
I'd get by with a Sony with a 70-200 / 24-70 lens set and use Canon for everything else.
Here's hoping Canon do bring a strong set of cameras in 2020 and I don't have to consider switching..
never heard this outlook. i see no responses i guess you have the people here shook.
Canon EOS-1D X Mark III
I'm all onboard for the 1D X III. Despite transitioning to the Sony a9 for motor racing events, nothing beats the 1D X for wildlife, especially when the weather and conditions are cold, wet, and nasty or hot and dusty. Read: Svalbard, North Slope, Namibia. I've accidentally dunked my 1D X in frigid arctic water and used the others in pouring rain and blinding snow without a care or worry. Wouldn't try those weather conditions with the a9 for the love of money. However, when the weather is great, the 20fps of the a9 in complete silence is outstanding to behold, especially when compared to the machine gun firing of the 1D XII at 14fps.

Canon EOS RX
The RX is, for me at least, too little, too late. I have too much investment in Sony at this point, given they're just released two new supertelephotos. I worked the Chevrolet IndyCar Detroit Grand Prix this year and even limited to the Sony 100-400mm and the 70-200, I never missed my 1D X II (though the thunderstorm on the first day's afternoon gave me concern, but since the Marshalls evacuated the track, I missed nothing).

Canon RS
For me, this is a real hair-puller as I love my 5DSR for landscapes. It was also my preferred body for studio model photography (art nude, implied nude, full nude, adult) but this camera was set aside with the advent of the Sony a7RIII with facial focus and eye-capture. Besides, don't need weather-resistance in a studio. LOL

It's something to consider, and I would probably rent one and put it through it's paces. Landscape photography can see pretty crappy weather too, and my 5DSR has never complained. With my large stable of EF lenses, any performance reduction seen by using the adapter wouldn't matter in landscape. 60mp might justify trying out a few RF lenses.

EOS M
These were my first mirrorless, and I bought the M, M2, M3, M5, and M6...with all the Canon glass. Now Sigma announced three (3) lenses for the M-mount, so apparently somebody believes—if not Canon—in this camera. They'll never be a prime camera for me, but in a hip holster they weigh next to nothing and can be in my hand in seconds.

Yes, I probably will spring for the new one, depending upon the specs.
So Canon's only good for reliability in harsh weather and environments at this point.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Apart from the 1DX which uses two same type CF cards all Canon duals card slot cameras have different types of cards, this leads to different read and write speeds. I noticed early on if I wrote to two cards with my 1DS MkIII’s using the SD slot meant I couldn’t realize the CF slot speed. Same with the 1DX MKII and the CF slot to CFast slot.

It might sound silly but when the camera slows down you notice it and personally I’ll take the speed with the one card every time, I have missed way more moments over my career from me or the camera not being ready than I have ever lost to card corruption, indeed to neuro’s point about films, I lost way more film to processing scratches and misplaced rolls than I ever have to corrupt or lost cards. I just don’t buy in to this ‘serious amateurs and pros need to write to two cards’ idea.
Ah, I get it now. That does make sense. When I invest in the R ecosystem, I plan to do so with the highest end body they have, which will, I hope, feature 2 identical card slots, thus avoiding the problem you describe.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Oh, Canon, please give me a EOS R5, or what you would call it.

My expectation/hope is that the RS will exceed the 5D4's frame rate at full resolution. The 5D4 is, honestly, pretty slow by current standards. I wouldn't expect it to top 10fps at 60mp or anything, but 8fps would be 480mp/s, in the ballpark as the 420mp/s of the A7R3, which is coming up on 2 years old. An A7R4 will likely bump that up as well. Canon would really have to push the MP count to the stratosphere (75+?) in order to justify a 7fps frame rate on a mirrorless in 2020.

Other than FPS, I don't know what an "R5" would offer over an RS, and the 5D4 is already fast enough for most event work. Anything faster, and you'l be in RX territory. I think the base "R" series will become the "all-rounder" when it hits mk2 (and as it's a first-gen product, I'm certainly hoping for a faster-than normal refresh cycle)

Upvote 0