Here’s a list of rumoured and predicted cameras coming from Canon in the next year

never heard this outlook. i see no responses i guess you have the people here shook.

So Canon's only good for reliability in harsh weather and environments at this point.
As much as I hate to say it, but for a working pro who spends 60% of his shooting time in inclement weather, and given the specs for the recently announced Sony a7RIV...Yeah. Since 1982, I've had to retire well over a dozen bodies due to weather (snow, ice, water, sand) damage. For me, a pro-body like the F1 and then the 1D was a godsend, and the former body was the reason I dumped over $10k of Pentax equipment (in 1983 dollars) for Canon.

It is also the reason I will probably never give up on Canon, and really hope that they get on the R-body pro program ASAP.

For those, probably the vast majority of 'togs', the need for such a robust body isn't there, so what Canon offers is more than good enough, and is in fact, excellent.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Judging by their continued strong sales (relative to competitors), what they give is what the market wants.
They simply have no desire to give Sony fanboys what the Sony fanboys want. Apparently some people find that to be a personal affront, and seem to love coming here to tell us all about it…

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I think a lot of people are merging the "RS" and the "RX" bodies in their minds.

I would not expect the "RX" to have 36MP. I would not be at all surprised if it has the same or similar MP as the "R," but with a higher frame rate, autofocus improvements, more robust build, 1D battery, etc., that differentiates the 1 series from the 5 series in DSLRs. It will probably share the same sensor as the 1DX III. Simply moving from 20 to 30 mp would be an impressive leap.

The "RS" is almost certainly going to exceed the 50 mp of the 5D s.

I also expect that the "RS" will have IBIS, but I'm not counting on the "RX" having it. Canon may not feel comfortable putting IBIS in a body that has to be bombproof.
Actually, it is Sony that merges the RX and the RS concepts in a single model, along with high spec video. They have been a little shaky on ruggedness and battery power though.

Upvote 0
They simply have no desire to give Sony fanboys what the Sony fanboys want. Apparently some people find that to be a personal affront, and seem to love coming here to tell us all about it…

That seems to be a lot of it. I'm genuinely glad there are different companies with different approaches. I don't really get the whole 'every company should launch identical products to their competitors' attitude.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Will a 5Dv arrive? It isn't in the forecast but it would be my next body of choice. Previous releases seem to be linked closely with 1DX (5Diii/2012Q1 vs IDX/2012Q2, 1DXii/2016Q1 vs 5Div/2016Q3)

Perhaps I have an unusual use case but an updated body is becoming more important for me. I am getting good shots using a 5Diii/L glass but banding noise is still limiting high ISO or high contrast situations. Slower fps/AF accuracy misses some shots than my previous 7D. 5Diii ruggedness and twin cards is statistically relevant.

So, what to get next?? My use case is tough on bodies. Non-professional shooting: seascape, underwater, astro-landscape, sports and group events, newborn portrait and macro.

Underwater housings cost as much as a new body but mine can accept 5Diii/iv/DSR. Battery life is important.. changing batteries in an underwater housing is not trivial - especially on a boat/wet area! Diving means low light, moving subject and camera so shooting at flash sync speeds of 1/200 is normal. Cropping can be important as you can't change lens with subjects at a distance. Improved DR/noise management will make a difference to me.

A 5Dv would meet my expectations. The ergonomics should be identical and hopefully dimensions as well. Improvements would be under the hood which would be perfect for me. If nothing arrives next year then I will move to 5Div... at least it will be relatively cheap by then! I haven't moved yet as it seemed a half step and I could wait for another Canon 5D - for a while!

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Will a 5Dv arrive? It isn't in the forecast but it would be my next body of choice. Previous releases seem to be linked closely with 1DX (5Diii/2012Q1 vs IDX/2012Q2, 1DXii/2016Q1 vs 5Div/2016Q3)

Perhaps I have an unusual use case but an updated body is becoming more important for me. I am getting good shots using a 5Diii/L glass but banding noise is still limiting high ISO or high contrast situations. Slower fps/AF accuracy misses some shots than my previous 7D. 5Diii ruggedness and twin cards is statistically relevant.

So, what to get next?? My use case is tough on bodies. Non-professional shooting: seascape, underwater, astro-landscape, sports and group events, newborn portrait and macro.

Underwater housings cost as much as a new body but mine can accept 5Diii/iv/DSR. Battery life is important.. changing batteries in an underwater housing is not trivial - especially on a boat/wet area! Diving means low light, moving subject and camera so shooting at flash sync speeds of 1/200 is normal. Cropping can be important as you can't change lens with subjects at a distance. Improved DR/noise management will make a difference to me.

A 5Dv would meet my expectations. The ergonomics should be identical and hopefully dimensions as well. Improvements would be under the hood which would be perfect for me. If nothing arrives next year then I will move to 5Div... at least it will be relatively cheap by then! I haven't moved yet as it seemed a half step and I could wait for another Canon 5D - for a while!

I'm guessing the 5D5 ......will be a mirrorless type....maybe a 5D-R camera....improved over the current R with dual cards, etc.
C

Upvote 0
According posted message by Canon Rumors were total inaccurate what Canon planned for next year. I do not know where they got the information but more like assume or make up the story. The Canon Rumors website has provided us with a lot of fake news lately.

The fact Canon will continue to use DSLR cameras which it is not considered to phase out favor for mirrorless cameras. The most popular is both EOS 1Dx and EOS 5D also 5DSr with a high megapixels camera. Fortunately, the mirrorless R series cameras did not sell that well as same with Nikon Z series. Recently, I had a meeting with professional photographers last week. We voted if we support mirrorless or DSLR with 287 people. The result from the vote was 3 percent for the mirrorless but full 97% support DSLR. For lenses, EF lenses got 84% voted, Sigma ART lenses got 16% (big increased compare last year with 2%), and for RF lenses got ZERO.

Here interesting that we will go back to the film-based cameras with 75% favor. Most of us support EOS 5DS r body as we wait for next-generation with improvement feature with high-performance processors.

Upvote 0
According posted message by Canon Rumors were total inaccurate what Canon planned for next year. I do not know where they got the information but more like assume or make up the story. The Canon Rumors website has provided us with a lot of fake news lately.

The fact Canon will continue to use DSLR cameras which it is not considered to phase out favor for mirrorless cameras. The most popular is both EOS 1Dx and EOS 5D also 5DSr with a high megapixels camera. Fortunately, the mirrorless R series cameras did not sell that well as same with Nikon Z series. Recently, I had a meeting with professional photographers last week. We voted if we support mirrorless or DSLR with 287 people. The result from the vote was 3 percent for the mirrorless but full 97% support DSLR. For lenses, EF lenses got 84% voted, Sigma ART lenses got 16% (big increased compare last year with 2%), and for RF lenses got ZERO.

Here interesting that we will go back to the film-based cameras with 75% favor. Most of us support EOS 5DS r body as we wait for next-generation with improvement feature with high-performance processors.

The 5D IV replaced my 5DSr so quickly... High resolution isn't as valuable now that the vast majority of the market is moving to web based content. Anything around the 45 mp mark today is still an extraordinary amount of resolution.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
The 5D IV replaced my 5DSr so quickly... High resolution isn't as valuable now that the vast majority of the market is moving to web based content. Anything around the 45 mp mark today is still an extraordinary amount of resolution.

Well, while there is a LOT going to the web, I'm still of the thought that if you still want to actually make $$ at this, that you shot for things to print and physically hang on a wall, no?

Just my $0.02,

C

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I agree.
Canon Rumors says it doesn't care about the M system because Canon doesn't seem to care. Well, on the other hand when you look at the messages on this forum it looks like the M system generates a lot of interest. A good proportion of CR readers do care about the M system. And the sales prove it as well.

If every single media only talks about what they think Canon cares about, well, then it's a closed loop and it will be hard for Canon to know what their customers want ;-)
I looked at the M50 when I was at Best Buy a while back. It seemed like a really nice camera. I can't think of what I would use it for, so I've not considered buying one. When I travel, I use the G7X II. It fits in my pocket and takes good photos. When I'm driving somewhere to take pictures, I use my 6D2 and take appropriate lenses along. If I had the M50, I'd still take the G7X II on trips and still use the 6D2 otherwise.

Maybe if I were a hiker, I'd get the M50 (or some other M). I'm certainly not lugging my 100-400mm II very far on foot. But I rarely walk more than a mile or so in my neighborhood or in the woods behind it. I have just a couple of EF-S lenses, so that wouldn't be much of a factor, and the one decent one is the 10-22mm, which is not exactly svelte itself, so probably would be replaced by an M anyway, if there is a good alternative (or maybe even the smaller EF-S 10-18mm, which is supposed to be a pretty good lens). Well, that is some GAS sneaking up on me, in that now I'm planning what lenses I would buy to go along with the M camera I'm not going to buy.

And for the most part, I don't shoot many pictures here in NC this time of year. Today is lovely, but I don't have enough time to get out and around much today. Otherwise, when it is 95º, I'm not motivated enough to brave the heat. Fall and spring are gorgeous here, and the weather can be very pleasant well into November, so that is when I do most of my non-travel photography.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The 1DXMKIII at 24MP will be of no interest. The D6 will be a far superior camera proving that sports photographers can shoot in beautiful hi-res with speed and focus.
I haven't seen any official info on the D6 resolution. With the A9 II being in the low 20's and Nikon using Sony sensors, I would assume their top end model to simply be equipped with the same sensor as the original A9 maybe.

Could you point out where you got your info from?

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I haven't seen any official info on the D6 resolution. With the A9 II being in the low 20's and Nikon using Sony sensors, I would assume their top end model to simply be equipped with the same sensor as the original A9 maybe.

There is this place called fantasy-land :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org

A friends whoks works in IT as a programmer at NIkon, they plan to out pixel Canon to make the D6 resolution, focus and IQ king. He's not a fanboy but said that Canon will no longer have their bodies and big whites dominate sports any longer. We'll see.... I don't think Canon is going to put out a low resolution camera. If I know about Nikon's plans to out pixel Canon I'm sure they know too.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
A friends whoks works in IT as a programmer at NIkon, they plan to out pixel Canon to make the D6 resolution, focus and IQ king. He's not a fanboy but said that Canon will no longer have their bodies and big whites dominate sports any longer. We'll see.... I don't think Canon is going to put out a low resolution camera. If I know about Nikon's plans to out pixel Canon I'm sure they know too.
In the D6 Nikon will use whatever sensor Sony decide to sell them.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
A friends whoks works in IT as a programmer at NIkon, they plan to out pixel Canon to make the D6 resolution, focus and IQ king.
My brother’s cousin’s college roommate’s brother-in-law’s gardener is neighbors with a Canon employee. He told him who told him who told her who told her who told him that Canon has outsold Nikon by significant margins for the past 16 years and plans to continue doing so.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0