Here’s a vague Canon roadmap for 2019 [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A very vague roadmap for Canon’s 2019 came to us over the weekend. It seems like the same sort of vague roadmap that happens at internal marketing and sales meetings. Take all of this with a grain of salt.
We’re told to expect an “exciting” new cinema camera, possible ahead of NAB in April. However, the announcement date isn’t confirmed as of yet. There has been some talk about a follow-up to the Cinema EOS C300 Mark II. We’ve heard that there could possibly be an 8K “upgrade option” for such a camera. However, that is unconfirmed at this time.
Canon will likely announce PL...

Continue reading...

I can't imagine that the first pro body in the R system will be anything like a 1dx. A 5ds replacement is much more likely, and tracking speed / fps is much less critical there as good quality pictures.

They have to get a 10 fold increase in speed on the processing power with Digic 9 to even make a run at a A9 like tracking system, or have some major major increases with the algorithms used.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I would like to see the 7D Mark III with improved sensor / DR and less sports focus, more all around best APS-C.

I do see a need for a mirrorless APSc with a powerhouse set of features and quality to overshadow the D500.
If canon is truly serious about Mirrorless then quit fooling around with DSLRs (Unless they can't get it right) and jump all the way in with the R cameras.
They have shown some impressive glass developments in the RF mount so now it is time to create completely dominating cameras to go with them like they did with the EOS1 when it came out 2 years after the introduction of the EOS system.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It seems a bit early for the 1Dx iii to be the upcoming pro DSLR - that would be a year earlier than expected to align with past releases, and to align with olympics.

I'm really curious as to what that pro body is - no doubt the longest in the tooth is the 7D, but part of me wonders if there's a shakeup coming to full frame DSLRs too. Part of me wonders if the high-resolution sensor headed for the pro-R camera coming won't turn up in this pro DSLR coming too. Nah, probably wishful thinking.

Upvote 0

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam
If canon is truly serious about Mirrorless then quit fooling around with DSLRs (Unless they can't get it right) and jump all the way in with the R cameras.

Offering a choice does not mean fooling around. Canon tries to maximize profit. Buyers are looking for what serves them best - individually. There is no camera that serves everybody.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I do see a need for a mirrorless APSc with a powerhouse set of features and quality to overshadow the D500.
They have shown some impressive glass developments in the RF mount so now it is time to create completely dominating cameras to go with them like they did with the EOS1 when it came out 2 years after the introduction of the EOS system.
I don’t think mirrorless is ready or capable of competing with PDAF for sports or other high speed photography and hope for a DSLR in the next 7D.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I'm going to be really unhappy if after over a year of waiting since the release of the lukewarm EOS R that Canon finally comes up with a "pro" DSLR and it's got all the controls/features you want, but with some crazy 100MP sensor.

Crazy-high megapixel cameras are a special use case. I want a true successor to a 5D4 or IDXII sensor... Modest megapixels and great high ISO performance. Nobody needs 100MP.* Plenty of people need better low light performance.

*Yes, I know, you're the one person that really needs 100MP, even though you probably really don't.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Philrp

Waiting patiently for my APS-C EOS R
Sep 2, 2018
I'll take a shot at this too, based solely on the premise that Canon likes sales.

1- A new 7d/80d mashup is in the works. Those sell really well and likely have higher margins than Rebels
2- Canon has a ton of speciality sensor tech that they are sitting on, and a hight resolution EOS R would make sense. The 5DS has a great many fans.
3- Announcement in late 2019 of a new flagship for early 2020.

Now i wait....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I would like to see the 7D Mark III with improved sensor / DR and less sports focus, more all around best APS-C.
This is not the niche of the 7D series. You are looking for an 80D replacement which probably isn’t coming. 7D is a high frame rate sports/action camera.

Upvote 0
I'll take a shot at this too, based solely on the premise that Canon likes sales.

1- A new 7d/80d mashup is in the works. Those sell really well and likely have higher margins than Rebels
2- Canon has a ton of speciality sensor tech that they are sitting on, and a hight resolution EOS R would make sense. The 5DS has a great many fans.
3- Announcement in late 2019 of a new flagship for early 2020.

Now i wait....

Yes, removing the mirror box and associated split mirror AF system and moving to a Software based AF system...the Rf system is a lot less mechanically complex.

Upvote 0
I'm going to be really unhappy if after over a year of waiting since the release of the lukewarm EOS R that Canon finally comes up with a "pro" DSLR and it's got all the controls/features you want, but with some crazy 100MP sensor.

Crazy-high megapixel cameras are a special use case. I want a true successor to a 5D4 or IDXII sensor... Modest megapixels and great high ISO performance. Nobody needs 100MP.* Plenty of people need better low light performance.

*Yes, I know, you're the one person that really needs 100MP, even though you probably really don't.

Me too. 40 mpx or more is a hard pass for me. I'm probably going to swtich.

I think it make sense. Canon has high mpx sensor for some time now, but building a sport high FPS with good AF DPAF might be more of a challenge for them.

Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
Here is my prediction. 1DX3 in spring of 2020 for the Olympics. 1D equivalent in beta test for olympics to tweak software for fall 2020 release.

I have a 1DX2 and I can see room for some improvement which I think Canon will do for the 1DX3. USB-C, 4K 10bit output via HDMI, bump to 22-24mp (likely 24 since the a9 is 24), clog. I would love to see built in wifi but I do know the reasons why its on a separate dongle. Would also love to see both slots to be the same card. I don't really see a need for more FPS but its always an arms race so I would probably expect a 2fps increase. I just don't see Canon having the tech to put all of this in a mirrorless camera just yet unless they have an ace up their sleeve.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0