Here’s a vague Canon roadmap for 2019 [CR1]

Here is my prediction. 1DX3 in spring of 2020 for the Olympics. 1D equivalent in beta test for olympics to tweak software for fall 2020 release.

I have a 1DX2 and I can see room for some improvement which I think Canon will do for the 1DX3. USB-C, 4K 10bit output via HDMI, bump to 22-24mp (likely 24 since the a9 is 24), clog. I would love to see built in wifi but I do know the reasons why its on a separate dongle. Would also love to see both slots to be the same card. I don't really see a need for more FPS but its always an arms race so I would probably expect a 2fps increase. I just don't see Canon having the tech to put all of this in a mirrorless camera just yet unless they have an ace up their sleeve.

What about a 5D IV replacement? When do you expect that and what kind of feature?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Here is my prediction. 1DX3 in spring of 2020 for the Olympics. 1D equivalent in beta test for olympics to tweak software for fall 2020 release.

I have a 1DX2 and I can see room for some improvement which I think Canon will do for the 1DX3. USB-C, 4K 10bit output via HDMI, bump to 22-24mp (likely 24 since the a9 is 24), clog. I would love to see built in wifi but I do know the reasons why its on a separate dongle. Would also love to see both slots to be the same card. I don't really see a need for more FPS but its always an arms race so I would probably expect a 2fps increase. I just don't see Canon having the tech to put all of this in a mirrorless camera just yet unless they have an ace up their sleeve.
Sir,What about

Hy broiWhat about the replacement model of Canon rebel t7i/800d releasing or other Details? DO you have any idea about when the Canon rebel T8i/Eos 850d have coming out? What's its expectation over its previous model rebel T7i/800d. I mean extra features.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Personally, as a multiple 1DX MkII using generalist, i’d Like a 1DX MkIII with a host of upgrades and improvements along with a high MP ‘pro’ R.

I see them as complimenting each other rather than competing, anybody that says the AF in the mirrorless cameras is close to the abilities in general uses is even close to the performance of DSLR’s yet is either fooling themselves or using different cameras in different situations to me. The R doesn’t come close to the 1DX MkII AF in general shooting when the going gets a little tough, subject movement, dimmer venues, high speed tracking etc etc. but there are good applications for WYSIWYG, silent operation, flip screen, high MP, etc etc.

Next year i’d Love a 1DX MkIII and R ‘1’.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
From what I gather. Canon listens but held back on a lot of things, mainly lenses and waited until the EOS R was released. Some examples are the 50 1.2, new 85 1.2, 24-70 IS, and the 15-35 IS. So if that trend continues. Maybe they held back on the 5DS R successor as well in the same fashion and will be next.

Upvote 0
If the mirrorless path is not yet ready for sport application, the least sporty pro camera is the 5ds, which logically could be the first Pro R then. It's also the one that is the least up to date, with it's old style low DR sensor.

Next logical step would be a 5div replacement, which can wait 1 more year. The 1dxiii as the most demanding one could be the last FF DSLR

Crop is less clear for me, the lineup is much more complicated and we don't know if better crop's will be R mount or if they will be M-Mount, so I would not want to guess.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Personally, as a multiple 1DX MkII using generalist, i’d Like a 1DX MkIII with a host of upgrades and improvements along with a high MP ‘pro’ R.

I see them as complimenting each other rather than competing, anybody that says the AF in the mirrorless cameras is close to the abilities in general uses is even close to the performance of DSLR’s yet is either fooling themselves or using different cameras in different situations to me. The R doesn’t come close to the 1DX MkII AF in general shooting when the going gets a little tough, subject movement, dimmer venues, high speed tracking etc etc. but there are good applications for WYSIWYG, silent operation, flip screen, high MP, etc etc.

How much better is the low light AF in the 1DX II than the 5DIV? Because I feel that, specifically in low light, the EOS R AF wipes the floor with the 5DIV in terms of how dark of an object it is able to focus on, and focus accurately at that.

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
I can't imagine that the first pro body in the R system will be anything like a 1dx. A 5ds replacement is much more likely, and tracking speed / fps is much less critical there as good quality pictures.

They have to get a 10 fold increase in speed on the processing power with Digic 9 to even make a run at a A9 like tracking system, or have some major major increases with the algorithms used.
If you can pick something from the 1DX, then it's the fps burst, but with some sacrifice. I predict that it will be a compact body with 6fps @ FF 35MP+ and 12fps @ cropped 25MP+, which is plausible given that the 1DX is capable of 14fps @ FF 20MP. It can very well be their MILC flagship.

I'm pretty certain that the EOS-R will all be FF and compact body, given the current trend w/ R and RP.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015

"More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light."

It's the guys with the longest, most expensive kit lists that are first in line for MOAR TECHNOLOGIES!!!1!! yet stuff their signatures with profoundities.

Have you pressed a shutter button today?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Given that this is a CR1, I'm not really expecting anything. But, I would agree that the 7DIII seems like the most logical "pro" DSLR body for an update, just through a process of elimination.

1DxIII is more likely to come in 2020.
5DIV is really too recent for a replacement.
5Ds/5Dsr is the best candidate to go mirrorless.

That leaves the 7D II as the oldest "pro" body and it is the most in need of an update. Plus, as this stage, I don't see the technology sufficiently developed to deliver the performance of either the 7d or 1D in a mirrorless form factor. Finally, Canon has to have a huge dilemma in considering the possible mirrorless future of the 7D line, as they'd have to decide whether it would be an M mount or an R mount. If and when the 7D series goes mirrorless, users are going to want to use the R mount lenses, but putting an R mount on a APS-C body could really complicate the lineup (where would that leave the 80 D?) . The most prudent choice for Canon is to wait at least one more generation to see how the mirrorless environment is shaking out before making any radical decisions on the 7D.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I'm going to be really unhappy if after over a year of waiting since the release of the lukewarm EOS R that Canon finally comes up with a "pro" DSLR and it's got all the controls/features you want, but with some crazy 100MP sensor.

Crazy-high megapixel cameras are a special use case. I want a true successor to a 5D4 or IDXII sensor... Modest megapixels and great high ISO performance. Nobody needs 100MP.* Plenty of people need better low light performance.

1) Contrary to common belief, megapixels do not adversely affect high ISO performance for stills. It only seems that way because people pixel peep.

2) More importantly: there aren't any great gains left to be made in high ISO performance. All the shipping FF sensors are very close to each other, and the next generation will be very close or identical to this one. We're bumping up against the laws of physics here while pixel peeping images at 200% and fighting over DxO scores that indicate 1/3 stop or less difference.

Note that astrophotographers ultimately turn to speciality sensors which are tuned for their application and which are cooled to deal with sensitivity and noise. And even they're not gaining leaps and bounds.

If I were Canon I would introduce a 100mp sensor but with a special "low light" 25mp mode. And I would use the absolute best possible NR/scaling/sharpening algorithms...even if it meant a quad core DIGIC system...to make that mode appear to produce incredible low light images. It wouldn't really be better than just doing the work yourself in PS or Lightroom, nor better than other FF sensors properly processed. But it would be enough to win over vlog reviews and get everyone talking. "I got the Canon RsR because I have to have the best landscape and the best nighttime photos! Why didn't Sony think of this???"

And...in fairness...if the camera does some of the PP work for you and does a good job, that's not a bad feature to have.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I would like to see the 7D Mark III with improved sensor / DR and less sports focus, more all around best APS-C.

The 7D niche is sports and wildlife, so they're not pulling back from that.

That said:
* Make whatever mods are necessary to the 80D sensor to offer 4k with DPAF even if it's cropped.
* Drop that sensor in the 7D mk II body. 24mp with improved DR and high ISO.
* Make the RAW buffer 2-3x deeper.
* Improve iTR performance. (I like it, but it's not as sticky as Nikon's latest tracking AF.)
* Bump the fps by 2.
* Touchscreen. And if they can fully weather seal it: flip out touchscreen.

At the right price that would be a killer 7D iteration.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
If the "pro" R camera isn't shipping until 2020 I hope/think it makes sense that it would be the 5DmIV successor, doesn't it? I have the R and like it, but it's my second camera body and I can't really imagine it being more than that. But if the next one out can replace my 5DmIV, and be perfectly happy using the R as my second body for the next ten years.

Upvote 0
My guess will be 5DSR replacement first (high MP sensor, new card technology to increase write speeds/FPS and hopefully higher DR). Goes nicely with lots of the lenses that have been announced and will sell well to studio/landscape photographers and a bunch of people that already bought the R.

Second will be 7DII/80D replacement for mirrorless (ASP-C, FPS bump, modest bump in MP, improved AF system, improved ISO performance). This will allow Canon to sell lots of these cameras to people who have been desperately waiting for this long overdue replacement/upgrade. It will also support the sale of a bunch of R lenses (100-400, new 400, new 500, new 600 f.4s).

I would have said this would be a trickle down camera from any new 1DxII mirrorless system but in this case with new technology I could see Canon using the other systems to perfect the professional system versus the other way around. Am probably totally wrong, but the needs/demands of true professionals for the 1Dx replacement will either make or break the system for years to come if they are truly all in on mirrorless.

I have a good friend who has been a professional landscape photographer for years and uses the Nikon system. He has the 850 and Z7 and we are on vacation together shooting side by side (I have my older and trusty 5DSR). He hates the EVF on the Z7 with a passion and says it is not up to snuff for too many scenarios (bright daylight, night photography in particular). Canon will have to address this in the 1DX (and 5DSR and 7DII replacements) replacement at a minimum for that audience or they will really struggle to move those bodies. It is so bad that he is ready to sell his Z7 and just work with the 850 until it is improved.

All speculation at this point but I have a wallet burning with cash for replacement lenses and systems for my style of photography. I guess I will sit on the couch for the time being until we start to get more information.

Bob

Upvote 0
Things in perspective...If Canon takes a hole year (one more....) to send to he market a great mirrorless camera it will loose a LOT of costumers. Why? Well...it´s very predictable that Sony can send new cameras this year....There has been some talks about the new A7SIII and about the new A7r4 (I believe it´s a bit early, but Sony doesn´t have the same behaviour of Canon in releasing new cameras.) People that bought this cameras 2 years ago may have the need (or the desire) of a new camera after 2 years. In parallel, people that bought the EOS 5D S (and R) will also start thinking in a upgrade. If Sony delivers a new line of cameras before Canon and if they really respond to the "demands" of the market, or show great specs in evolution terms, well....then people wil not wait any longer for a response by Canon. And if someone buy´s a 3500$ body will not buy another one 6 months later....

For my professional needs, I do have some huge works both in stills and video coming up in middle 2019 and beginning of 2020. I can wait for Canon a little bit longer until the last quarter of the year (but not the announcement date....the release date!!!!) But i do want a LOT to exchange my Sony A7r3 for a Canon to payr with my 1dx mkII. But if Sony releases a killer machine in middle of the year....I may start thinking in a good bye Canon...But don´t want so please Canon give us some good cameras!!

Regarding the roadmap, it makes sense that the next camera to be a high resolution one in the R sistem, I do believe it will be a replacement for the 5Ds series and will be the end of the series in DSLR world. I think Canon will progressively adopt R sistem has the primarily one...I don´t see Canon releasing a new 1dxMKIII soon, although for a long time, the professional line of Canon always was the 1D series and the prosumer cameras the 5D series....So if Canon mentions a professional new camera it should be a 1D series camera....

It is my believe that canon could win a lot by reducing the different lines of cameras, they are way too much cameras....And start compacting things in less cameras!! The market has changed! Sony compacts features and they are having great results in that!

I mentioned this in previous posts in other topics, Canon new R sistem is promising, the EOS R is a great camera for a start, the EOS RP is a great "entry level" camera....but we need the sharks Canon! Especially us, that we do make a living with cameras...we can´t stay behind competition!! 2 years earlier if we wanted a Camera that makes 10 bit 4:2:2 we can only get that on specialized cinema cameras....nowadays you get that on a panasonic gh5, on a Sony A7SII, and if you don´t need that, you can get an ATOMOS and record with HDMI output. Canon doesn´t give you any of this!! Not even the 1dx mkII!

So don´t fool around, don´t splash specs in 4 or 5 different cameras, make 2 great cameras and you´ll have my money! Don´t make it, and Sony will have my money! This is only me talking, but I am one in a LOT on users in the market that think like this! After more that 2 years waiting for Canon response, it more than time!! And I don´t care if its mirrorless or DSLR, just send some god damn great cameras to the market!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
How much better is the low light AF in the 1DX II than the 5DIV? Because I feel that, specifically in low light, the EOS R AF wipes the floor with the 5DIV in terms of how dark of an object it is able to focus on, and focus accurately at that.
I couldn’t say as I haven’t used the two side by side, I have used the 1DX MkII and R side by side and the 1DX MkII was significantly better in bad light with distant/small subjects. I felt even the 1DX’s live view was better the the R, but that might be cognitive bias, however it wasn’t very different from either camera when using the back screen to focus.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Yup, I'm hoping a for a really nice surprise out of NAB too. A new Cinema line camera COULD even mean an EOS R Cinema body (EOS RC), but don't see that as being very likely at this point. The Canon Cinema line is pretty well fleshed out right now with the C200 and C300II. 8K doesn't seem like something Canon would drive hard at right now as it's practical application is pretty limited by post production work flows. 8K throws out a TON of data and I can't even imagine the requisite amount of computer processing power it would take to edit large amounts of footage.

The only thing missing is an entry level Cinema camera in the $3500-$5000 range. Right now the C200 is $7500 just to get going (sans lens) and Canon has yet to offer a totally competitive video geared DSLR. A Canon version of the Sony A7S would sell very well even at $3300 (priced like the 5D4). But right now, there's nothing to compete with the FS5 at $4500, while the FS7 is in line with the C200 with a few more bells and whistles but not the Canon look and quality. A new C100 with 4k would seem most likely pricing in around $4500 with frame rates comparable to the Canon 1DX2. 4k 24/30/60 1080p up to 120 but then add the 4k CLog and 10bit 422 output like the EOS R. This would probably mean the C200 would need some new firmware as well or at least reserve that Clog 2 and 3 with RAW output for it over the HDMI, along with still a better viewfinder, etc...

If a new C100 emerges, there's not a whole lot of room to maneuver between it and the existing C200, spec-wise, as you can't make a 3rd iteration of the C100 and NOT have 4K this time around, which they may take the easy road and just kill off 4k60 from it and leave it at 30fps and still hold back the 120fps in 1080p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
"More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light."

It's the guys with the longest, most expensive kit lists that are first in line for MOAR TECHNOLOGIES!!!1!! yet stuff their signatures with profoundities.

Have you pressed a shutter button today?
yes, have you?

This is my trade and I have to invest in it, as a set of tools the investment isn’t that big, less than a decent car to drive for Uber or Lyft. Also I was using 1DS MkIII’s for 8 years so didn’t spend a dime on bodies for nearly a decade, but if I lost it all tomorrow and had to buy a camera for myself to play with I’d get a <$1,000 1DS MkIII and a 35 f2 IS and a couple of PCB Einstein’s that would cost more than the body. There is very little I shoot as a generalist I couldn’t do with that $2,000 setup, but when you go into specialities I have to invest, the fact that I have built a modest kit over the last 20 years doesn’t really deserve derision.

I can live without any new bodies or lenses or lights for the rest of my career and retirement, if that 1DX MkIII and high resoulution R came out I wouldn’t be first in line, but I’d budget for them, if they don’t I don’t care. But my point was not what I have or what i’d like, my point was that I see the systems as complimentary rather then either or. I am very looking forwards to getting a body that allows me to rear filter the 11-24 and the TS-E17 amd 15mm fisheye, why wouldn’t I? I like having new possibilities, but that doesn’t mean for one second I think I can’t live without them.

As for the signature, I have been here for years and got asked several times what gear I had, I felt it added background to my input but if people are misconstruing that as boasting i’m happy to take it down, it is a comparatively recent addition. If anybody only ever takes one thing from my years of input here I would hope it would be the ‘light’ “profundity”.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0