Here’s a vague Canon roadmap for 2019 [CR1]

I think there will be a EOS RS (as replacement for 5DS/R) and a EOS RX (with 20+fps) at the end of the year, in the early 2020, because in summer 2020 there are Olympic games in Tokyo. Canon will never miss this chance at home!

But 1DX3 and 5D Mark 5 might be in the pipeline too, if Canon dont want a full switch to EOS R. Especially the fast fps is easier without a mirror... so maybe a "low megapixel" 24MP 20fps camera would be "sufficient" for all sporting events...
And IF there is no 5D Mark 5, there will be a EOS R2 with the successor sensor...
But I think they will do at least some years both paths, but the next DSLR camera announcements will be the last of every line. (7D4 also)...

IMO there won't be a 5D5, what's the point. Nikon at least made the Z7 a reasonable approximation of the D850 so you can bet there won't be a DSLR replacement for the D850. They have to go all in on mirrorless. Trouble for Canon is they will be releasing supposedly better cameras around the time Sony is in its next upgrade cycle. They'll have to compete against A7RIV, not A7RIII. They'll be lucky to get a camera that could compete with the A7RIII IMO let alone A7RIV.

1DXIII will come because they are light years from that sort of performance for a mirrorless camera and the Olympics is too big to use a less than stellar camera. Even Nikon will release a D6. 1DXIII better be a beast as Sony will unleash A9II next year and it's hard to imagine how good that will be for AF. If 1DXIII is as lame an update as the 1DXII, the first 1 series that I've not bought they'll be in big trouble. I have no faith Canon can even crack the 21MP 1 series barrier or if they'll do they'll only offer 22MP.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
There will not be a 5D5 IMO. And frankly it's impossible to say what features it's EOS R equivalent will lack compared to the competition, but it'll be a long list. It's been well over a decade since Canon delivered a class leading camera on features. If they haven't been embarrassed to change paths by now they never will. EOS RP is proof o

I agree. They aren't the market to make class leading camera on features and offering the best for buck.

I suspect the 5D V/EOS R Pro will be underspec compared to the competition and overprice just like 5D IV, EOS R and 6D II. I'm definitely open to next camera from Sony A9R/A7SIII/A9 (5.76 million dot EVF, 16 bit sensor, eyeAF with live tracking) or Panasonic S1 now.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I agree. They aren't the market to make class leading camera on features and offering the best for buck.

I suspect the 5D V/EOS R Pro will be underspec compared to the competition and overprice just like 5D IV, EOS R and 6D II. I'm definitely open to next camera from Sony A9R/A7SIII/A9 (5.76 million dot EVF, 16 bit sensor, eyeAF with live tracking) or Panasonic S1 now.

I don't see how the 5D4 is either overpriced or underspeced. Same for the EOS R or 6D2. At least not for stills shooters, which is their primary market. The Canon 5D2, 5D3, and now 5D4 are still the MOST used cameras by daily professionals. The market would totally disagree. Now if we want to debate video features, that's a different story perhaps.

Canon is not a bells and whistles company. They are a quality company. And based on sales, professionals overwhelmingly agree.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I don't see how the 5D4 is either overpriced or underspeced. Same for the EOS R or 6D2. At least not for stills shooters, which is their primary market. The Canon 5D2, 5D3, and now 5D4 are still the MOST used cameras by daily professionals. The market would totally disagree. Now if we want to debate video features, that's a different story perhaps.

Canon is not a bells and whistles company. They are a quality company. And based on sales, professionals overwhelmingly agree.

Market shares doesn't mean their recent camera isn't lackluster. They can still release lackluster camera and still has commerical success by drawing on EF lens user from early 5D2 days. They do have great professional support that's why many people are drawn to it along with legacy lens. It hard for people to switch since many don't want to part with their lens.

EOS R is $2300 camera without IBIS, dual card slot, uncropped 4K, 5D IV sensor. A7III has better eyeAF, dual card slot, 4k, IBIS, better sensor.

For only $200 more, Panasonic S1 has better build quality, weather sealing, IBIS, 4K 60, 4k 30 unlimited, build in focus stacking, high resolution mode, better eyeAF with AI tracking, dual card slot, joystick and 5.6 million EVF, faster FPS, and likely better sensor than Canon recycle 2 year old sensor.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
They aren't the market to make class leading camera on features and offering the best for buck.
More accurately, Canon hasn't produced a camera that offers the right features and best bang for the buck for your specific needs.

I could turn it around and say that nobody has yet produced a mirrorless camera that has the best bang for the buck compared to Canon or Nikon DSLRs, for my the vast majority of my needs.

In many ways, the Canon mirrorless camera system -- which must include lenses and accessories and software, because you can't take photographs with just a camera body -- is a much better value than its competitors, because of the broad lens portfolio (including good, inexpensive lenses), a third party accessory ecosystem that is second to none, backwards lens compatibility for its mirrorless system that is at least an order of magnitude better than its competitors, and tethering software that is, well, at least, usable.

But even so, Canon DSLRs still work better for me, for now.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
More accurately, Canon hasn't produced a camera that offers the right features and best bang for the buck for your specific needs.

I could turn it around and say that nobody has yet produced a mirrorless camera that has the best bang for the buck compared to Canon or Nikon DSLRs, for my the vast majority of my needs.

In many ways, the Canon mirrorless camera system -- which must include lenses and accessories and software, because you can't take photographs with just a camera body -- is a much better value than its competitors, because of the broad lens portfolio (including good, inexpensive lenses), a third party accessory ecosystem that is second to none, backwards lens compatibility for its mirrorless system that is at least an order of magnitude better than its competitors, and tethering software that is, well, at least, usable.

But even so, Canon DSLRs still work better for me, for now.

That's true. If you rely on Canon tethering, and need extensive EF lens lineup, lighting gear, then Canon it is for you.

I don't rely on Canon lighting anymore. I rely on Godox/Flashpoint for all my OCF than EX430/600 ($430 wow!). If I switch system, I just need to buy a trigger to control them.

I just need a trinity of lens (16-200mm) and fast prime (Sigma 105 1.4/135 1.8). Tamron & Tamron both provide third party alternative as -well if I decided to move. Tamron has $800 28-75 2.8 and will release 17-28 2.8.

Third party accessory is also available too for my needs - batteries, L bracket, lens filter. Everything else is not system specific - tripod, camera strap, external hard drive, USB Type C charger, SD cards. Beside camera body and lens, my most expensive accessories are my lighting kit. All my strobe and lighting is compatible with a $70 trigger.

Both Lightroom and Capture one provide extensive support for tethering option that's usable too.

While backward compatibility is nice, l also want native solution in the future. Sigma is releasing an EF-L lens adapter for the L mount Alliance while they release MC-11 and Metabone IV for it as well.

If Canon DSLR work well for you then good for you. Just use whatever you need.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't imagine that the first pro body in the R system will be anything like a 1dx. A 5ds replacement is much more likely, and tracking speed / fps is much less critical there as good quality pictures.

They have to get a 10 fold increase in speed on the processing power with Digic 9 to even make a run at a A9 like tracking system, or have some major major increases with the algorithms used.

Owning the 5DS already ...

I'm going to guess the next EOS R more advanced model will NOT be a 5DS replacement. I think Canon needs most buyers to enjoy the ease of use and good performance. Unloading massive files and clogging Lightroom processing like molasses would not help the average shooter.

I'm hoping any changes are in card slots, frame rate, etc.. But 30 to 40 megapixels would be more than plenty.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Owning the 5DS already ...

I'm going to guess the next EOS R more advanced model will NOT be a 5DS replacement. I think Canon needs most buyers to enjoy the ease of use and good performance. Unloading massive files and clogging Lightroom processing like molasses would not help the average shooter.

I'm hoping any changes are in card slots, frame rate, etc.. But 30 to 40 megapixels would be more than plenty.

It's much more likely the PRO Model is a high-res replacement of the 5DS (I have a 5DSR too). 1DX2 people are (majority) not in the market to replace that body style. We may want a small companion body, but not a replacement. An EOS R body will never feel like and balance larger glass in hand like a 1DX2. Not ever. And no, professional 1DX2 people are not going run out and replace all their super expensive glass (think 400mm or 200-400mm) for more compact RF versions or try and strap it to some little compact MILC body.

Upvote 0
Offering a choice does not mean fooling around. Canon tries to maximize profit. Buyers are looking for what serves them best - individually. There is no camera that serves everybody.
I have been seeing some tests, lately, (Fro) where the mirrorless versions of the 6d2 and 5d4 sensors are not doing as well as in the dslrs. Dslrs do have the advantage of a separate sensor for phase detect AF and more acute angle of light hitting the microlenses may have a negative effect to (cough Leica M8). I shoot mirrorless where it has advantages, but I am not sure it is competitive with dslrs yet.

Upvote 0
Another EF body doesn’t make sense and it appears to me just a rumor based on wishful thinking.

Two RF bodies does make great business sense before July 2020.

RF equivalent to the D5, 1DX2 and A9. Another RF equivalent to the D850, 5Ds R and A7R3

Really wish CR had a filter to filter out Cinema EOS rumors. A lot of us are just interested with the DSLR or mirrorless.

50MP appears to be the current sweet spot for medium format cameras. So maybe a 50MP RF body with better ISO and DR?
I'm pretty positive we'll see another R body by fall. I think it will come sooner than expected.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
I can't imagine that the first pro body in the R system will be anything like a 1dx. A 5ds replacement is much more likely, and tracking speed / fps is much less critical there as good quality pictures.

They have to get a 10 fold increase in speed on the processing power with Digic 9 to even make a run at a A9 like tracking system, or have some major major increases with the algorithms used.

Canon 1DX Mark II shoots at 16 fps 20 MP in live view.
Sony A9 shoots at 20 fps 24 MP in live view.

Difference is about 1.5 times. How do you arrive at 10x difference?

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
That's true. If you rely on Canon tethering, and need extensive EF lens lineup, lighting gear, then Canon it is for you.

I don't rely on Canon lighting anymore. I rely on Godox/Flashpoint for all my OCF than EX430/600 ($430 wow!). If I switch system, I just need to buy a trigger to control them.

I still like canon’s OEM speedlites, but I use them reluctantly. I also prefer third party lights (profoto).

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Canon 1DX Mark II shoots at 16 fps 20 MP in live view.
Sony A9 shoots at 20 fps 24 MP in live view.

Difference is about 1.5 times. How do you arrive at 10x difference?

The quoted post was about the tracking system, not still framerate.

I’m not sure how anyone on the outside figures the required throughput for that, though.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I have been seeing some tests, lately, (Fro) where the mirrorless versions of the 6d2 and 5d4 sensors are not doing as well as in the dslrs. Dslrs do have the advantage of a separate sensor for phase detect AF and more acute angle of light hitting the microlenses may have a negative effect to (cough Leica M8). I shoot mirrorless where it has advantages, but I am not sure it is competitive with dslrs yet.

Differences are slight. Another factor to consider is that the DSLR sensors are simply cooler as they're not being used in LiveView.

Upvote 0
The next significant body will be another R: no doubts about it. After ore-announcing 6 new RF lenses to be released 8+ months from now, Canon has sent out a strong message about their commitment to FF mirrorless. And being 2020 an Olympic year, preannuncino new cameras in Q3/4 and release them in H1 2020 makes total sense.
Can they afford to replace both the 5D and the 1DX with two corresponding mirrorless cameras? I honestly don’t know, but that would be certainly my ideal scenario.

Upvote 0