Here’s the full list of gear Canon will announce on September 5

Nov 13, 2015
The M on the 35mm is apparently confirm as Macro now. Same tweet.

STM as well. That'll be a (relatively) inexpensive lens, $500-ish one would think.

- A

The Nikon Z announcement lacked a reasonably inexpensive smallish lens. Canon has one. Hopefully it will be small enough that you could store the R camera in your bag with the RF 35 1.8 IS macro attached for quick grab shots or the R camera with the 35 1.8 alone in a small bag for compact carry. Sort of like the 40 2.8 in EF now. Probably not that small, but otoh a good part of the lens will be below the flange.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
No reason why it shouldn't without a mirror back there. The firmware/metering/etc. will have to downshift into crop mode to work properly (you don't want blacked out corners messing with metering), but yes, it should work.

I asked this question previously about an EF to [new mount] adaptor: the answer from the team here was if EF works, so should EF-S.

- A[/QUOTE
105 is probably too long to compensate with just IBIS.
Yup. IS + IBIS = belt and suspenders (fingers crossed)

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Lot of talk on here regarding video function on the pending (and assumed future model. What we know (at least rumored) is there will be a "regular" resolution model (seems this one) of about mid-20s and another that would come in 2019 with resolution in the 40s. To me it would seem to make more sense to have the 20-something MP model be more accommodating to video. Bigger pixel pitch should give better low light performance and you only need 8.8MP to make 4K. Assuming a full sensor readout, you'd have some binning but obviously that has been achieved before with extremely good results -vs- a massive crop factor akin to apsc. I can't see it being as high as the 5D4 since the 5D4 is 30MP. All that said, it may be possible the video specs could be better on the "lower end" model than the one we see in 2019 with higher res. I just hope we can actually get a clean 4k out via HDMI this time, because it's still frustrating I can't do it with my 1DX2.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Is there a chance that the "name may be different" for the 600/4 IS III may point to it actually being the 600 f/4 DO we've all been waiting for?? Come on Canon...don't do this to me...I just sold off all my Canon bodies...I just ordered a 500PF.....do I now have to repurchase a 1DX2 and the 600DO.....aaaarrrrggghhhh
I thought you had held on to your 400mm DO II and 600mm II, and it was Canon's inferior AF that made you sell the bodies?

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
Imaging circle. EF-S lenses are designed for APS-C. Some might work, others will severely vignette.

A 1.6 times crop mode could always be used on the FF sensor to allow for EF-S lens usage. On the Sony A7RII, it will automatically switch to crop mode when an E mount APS-C lens is attached.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The Nikon Z announcement lacked a reasonably inexpensive smallish lens. Canon has one. Hopefully it will be small enough that you could store the R camera in your bag with the RF 35 1.8 IS macro attached for quick grab shots or the R camera with the 35 1.8 alone in a small bag for compact carry. Sort of like the 40 2.8 in EF now. Probably not that small, but otoh a good part of the lens will be below the flange.

I'm assuming its EF 35 f/2 IS USM sized in my head. Might be a bad assumption.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Imaging circle. EF-S lenses are designed for APS-C. Some might work, others will severely vignette.

Offer a crop mode. Nikon and Sony both do. This is a fairly easy thing to implement, and now that the mirror is gone + EF is (possibly) native compatible, there's no reason not to.

If we are reading the tea leaves here incorrectly and it's a thin body + EF adaptor, then it would be thin body + EF/EF-S adaptor. Nothing mechanically would be a problem with EF-S on that adaptor if the mirror is gone.

- A

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Well. Just woke up and all I can say is wow. This seems legit. If so what a bombshell. If all is as it seems the canon's 'Sexy solution' is a phenomonal effort of engineering and forethought. But for me the important question remains. Ergonomics. This thing could be the most highly specced camera ever seen but if it feels like a Sony I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft barge pole. And other than ergonomics I want to know what the EVF is like. I haven't had the opportunity to look at an A73 or A9 EVF but all the others I have looked through have not been sufficient.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0