Here’s the full list of gear Canon will announce on September 5

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Am I right in assuming this rumour has no rating? Just a collection of the various tidbits? Or is it legit?

Sounds Nokishita has reported the same thing so I am assuming this is a CR4. I haven't seen so far Nokishita reported something and that did not happen but I am only following all these rumor site for probably 4 to 5 years. If anyone know an instance they are wrong plese pot it here to "adjust" people's expectations

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Sounds Nokishita has reported the same thing so I am assuming this is a CR4. I haven't seen so far Nokishita reported something and that did not happen but I am only following all these rumor site for probably 4 to 5 years. If anyone know an instance they are wrong plese pot it here to "adjust" people's expectations

It does feel to me like to genie is out the bottle on this one though

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I can not believe Canon managed to keep ALL of that such a secret until now. EOS R plus FIVE pieces of glass???? Holy crap sandwich! I hope the dual mount system is true!!!

to be fair. Craig leaked the EOS R, the RF mount and 24(28)-70 F2.0, and the 50mm

Upvote 0
Oh boy. Here we go! Any bets on how many pages we can get to by tomorrow?

The adapters have my attention - maybe a multi-part adapter assembly? Maybe you need two parts on the adapter assembly - one to switch to PL mount, and one part which has two versions: one which accepts an ND filter and one which doesn't? If they're building that kind of adaptability right out of the gate, I have to suspect that this camera could have some serious video capabilities...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Feels like finally we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. No doubt this will generate a lot of excitation and expectations. I guess it is wise to keep expectation low. It is Canon. This time around Canon might decide to pull a 5D2 moment that would be simply awesome!!! but then I have to keep my expectation low :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I'm looking forward to finally making the leap to Full Frame. I'm the perfect target market for this as a former 450 to 60d and now 80d owner. I get to keep my expensive lenses I've slowly invested in that are full frame, and upgrade to my first full frame camera (assuming this is a prosumer model in the 2k -2.5k price range).

Although to me it looks like the “M.ADAP R” “M.ADAP R ND” “M.ADAP R PL” are mount adapters *for* R, so that might mean EF needs to go on the M.ADAP R. I am wondering if this mount adapter is more permanently attached to allow good weather sealing?

Upvote 0
The lack of an IS designation on standard lenses suggests IBIS.

On the contrary. "RF 35mm f/1.8 M IS" - that implies there's no IBIS unfortunately, doesn' it? I'm disappointed. I was hoping to eventually buy it and mount my 24-70 on it and make it stabilised. The only faint hope is in that 'M'. What is it, 'M'? An RF-mount lens also mountable on EF-M? That doesn't add up.

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2016
Maybe this sort of announcement is to buck Z pre-orders for people who wanted a big-grip mirrorless camera?
Don't think so. Canon don't usually rush things and the previous rumours indicating "only" three lenses for the biggest photography show always seemed a bit thin.

Additionally, I don't think Nikon is their target. At all. Both Nikon an Canon will - for now - focus on keeping people invested in their systems instead of simply adapting their legacy glass to a Sony.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
And Kudos to Craig! But we only started that seeing that data very recently (even from Craig) and then there was still so much conflicting data. For a release of this particular scope, that's pretty damn good on Canon.

to be fair. Craig leaked the EOS R, the RF mount and 24(28)-70 F2.0, and the 50mm

Upvote 0
On the contrary. "RF 35mm f/1.8 M IS" - that implies there's no IBIS unfortunately, doesn' it? I'm disappointed. I was hoping to eventually buy it and mount my 24-70 on it and make it stabilised. The only faint hope is in that 'M'. What is it, 'M'? An RF-mount lens also mountable on EF-M? That doesn't add up.
the "M" probably means Macro. IS for Macro or what Canon calls Hybrid IS may still be useful with IBIS

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
So the adaptors are the most interesting thing. If they are adaptors for the EF glass to fit the R mount rather than the R mount being an EF mount this would be a big deal. But why would these not be called EF.ADAP R ?

The most logical answer is that the mount IS an EF mount, but can take RF lenses which recess. I think this is an ugly hack but it does make it adaptor-free for all the adaptorphobic out there. This would make these adaptors for the R lenses to fit EOS-M cameras.

Now... That itself is a bit strange. Because of two things.

Firstly, if these adaptors have built in ND or PL filters then that reduces the amount of space for the actual lens to recess meaning the true minimum distance between rear element and sensor is going to have to be bigger than on Sony and Nikon.

Secondly, why go to all this trouble for EOS-M cameras? It gives them new features (built-in ND and PL filters) that their brand new camera doesn't have. I don't see the reason for announcing this distraction right now.

So I think it's more likely these are actually adaptors for EF lenses for the R mount.

Upvote 0
The EF Macro lenses (100L and 24-70L and maybe others) have hybrid IS (at least I think that's what the called it), where it compensates for side-to-side movements as well as angular movements. I think the point being that a tiny side-to-side movement makes a big difference when you're viewing a tiny object at a huge scale, but only makes a tiny difference when viewing a normal object at a normal scale.

I guess perhaps it has angular in-body stabilisation, and the macro lenses add the side-to-side?

Total guess though!

I really hope so, forgot M might stand for Macro. Although it doesn't guarantee there's IBIS, maybe it only tells that without IS the macro lens would be unusable. At the same time, 35mm shouldn't be as demanding to stabilisation as 100mm.

Upvote 0