Here’s the full list of gear Canon will announce on September 5

Feels like finally we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. No doubt this will generate a lot of excitation and expectations. I guess it is wise to keep expectation low. It is Canon. This time around Canon might decide to pull a 5D2 moment that would be simply awesome!!! but then I have to keep my expectation low :rolleyes:
considering that this camera is supposed to be around the size of the M50 and have M50 ergonomics people SHOULD be keeping their expectations in check.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Surely PL refers to Polariser? Check out this image from a Canon Patent, could 102 be a filter or speed booster? Could R refer to "revolving", Can I get a EOS R for my birthday?

An adapter with interchangeable filters sounds interesting, especially if it's weather-sealed. I only wonder how much Canon will charge for the filters, they'll obviously be branded-only at least initially. And it must be revolving somehow otherwise CIR-PL won't be usable.

Upvote 0
Granted, yes. However, this is still a stills camera first (at least all indication), so a PL mount would be a bit oddball even if it has robust cinema features. You generally see PL mounted glass on bigger bodies like black magic URSA mini sized or Canon C line sized and bigger. We're talking about a body here that is smaller than a 6D
If they want 'B' or 'C' cameras and have a lot of existing PL lenses it would be worth the investment. Think local TV stations and the like. Since it's going to be an electronic image full time (either viewfinder or flippy screen) it'll be trivial to have a video out capability for an external monitor, and be compatible with a very large amount of cinema accessories.

Upvote 0
considering that this camera is supposed to be around the size of the M50 and have M50 ergonomics people SHOULD be keeping their expectations in check.

28-70 f2L sounds like a high-end glass though. It actually is the 'L'. In that list, all lenses but 35mm are Ls. Sounds like an overkill for an M50 FF successor.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Granted, yes. However, this is still a stills camera first (at least all indication), so a PL mount would be a bit oddball even if it has robust cinema features. You generally see PL mounted glass on bigger bodies like black magic URSA mini sized or Canon C line sized and bigger. We're talking about a body here that is smaller than a 6D
the PL mention is on an adapter, not the mount and is M.ADAP R PL , which could mean a new adapter for the M's

however the PL mount also is 52mm in registration distance, so there's more than enough room from an EF/RF mount to a PL for an adapter. It could be a way to signify that canon is more serious about video with this camera than others.

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2014
UK
An adapter with interchangeable filters sounds interesting, especially if it's weather-sealed. I only wonder how much Canon will charge for the filters, they'll obviously be branded-only at least initially. And it must be revolving somehow otherwise CIR-PL won't be usable.
Yep, I meant the entire lens mount may revolve to accommodate EF and RF lens......."Revolving Flange"

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Yep, I meant the entire lens mount may revolve to accommodate EF and RF lens......."Revolving Flange"

Looks like there's a sea of opportunities to guess :) Just from a few abbreviations.
Why would the new mount be revolving? Maybe we'll screw it in and out to get different flange distances?..

Upvote 0
Btw, much better lens selection than that of Nikon's. f/2 must be a killer, although the bottom 28mm is a bit disappointing, better be 24 or even 20...
28-70 is certainly possible. I have an old Canon EF 28-70mm f/2.8 from the 90s. An f/2 should be good wide open and excellent at f/2.8. These zooms are easier to design with a smaller zoom range and paired with one of the excellent ultra wide zooms still covers the gamut.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Come on guys! It's clear that ND and PL stand for filters (Neutral Density and Polarizing). The three adapter are:

M.ADAP R -> no filter
M.ADAP R ND -> with ND filter
M.ADAP R PL -> with PL filter

M can stand for M mount or for Mount, as the dot after the M suggest. In the second case EF lens will need this adpter to be used on the new R mount. That is.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2014
UK
Looks like there's a sea of opportunities to guess :) Just from a few abbreviations.
Why would the new mount be revolving? Maybe we'll screw it in and out to get different flange distances?..
This
JPA_430112698_000007-1.jpg

Upvote 0