Here’s the full list of gear Canon will announce on September 5

Come on guys! It's clear that ND and PL stand for filters (Neutral Density and Polarizing). The three adapter are:

M.ADAP R -> no filter
M.ADAP R ND -> with ND filter
M.ADAP R PL -> with PL filter

M can stand for M mount or for Mount, as the dot after the M suggest. In the second case EF lens will need this adpter to be used on the new R mount. That is.

There's nothing about EF though. Does it mean 'R lens adapted to some mount' or 'Some lens adapted to R mount'? :)

Upvote 0
On the contrary. "RF 35mm f/1.8 M IS" - that implies there's no IBIS unfortunately, doesn' it? I'm disappointed. I was hoping to eventually buy it and mount my 24-70 on it and make it stabilised. The only faint hope is in that 'M'. What is it, 'M'? An RF-mount lens also mountable on EF-M? That doesn't add up.

Perhaps the camera can use both EF-R and EF lenses. But because Canon wants to get EF-M owners to buy into their new EF-R lenses, the adaptors are for mounting the new (smaller than EF) EF-R lenses to their M bodies?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Btw, much better lens selection than that of Nikon's. f/2 must be a killer, although the bottom 28mm is a bit disappointing, better be 24 or even 20...
I previously owned the EF28-70mm L while owning the EF24-70mm L. Honestly, while those 4mm more were nice, they weren't that huge a deal. Especially if you have a separate, true wide angle lens to complement it.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Come on guys! It's clear that ND and PL stand for filters (Neutral Density and Polarizing). The three adapter are:

M.ADAP R -> no filter
M.ADAP R ND -> with ND filter
M.ADAP R PL -> with PL filter

M can stand for M mount or for Mount, as the dot after the M suggest. In the second case EF lens will need this adpter to be used on the new R mount. That is.
What strength ND? Variable ND? Likely not enough room to swing out a filter. A slot to remove/insert
For PL, shouldn’t it be called PL-C as is the case for the drop-in supertele CPLs?

But back up a step... M.ADAP R = either adapting an EF-M lens to the R body (is that even feasible, and with an APS-C image circle who would really want to, and even if so, why make three different versions of it?
No, more likely it’s to adapt R lenses to EOS M bodies. That makes sense for an upgrade path from APS-C to FF MILC, but it also means all these discussions of the video features of the new bodies benefiting from such an adapter are moot. The latter only applies if PL is for adapting PL mount lenses to the EOS R.

Upvote 0

Yeah, but my technical drawing skills are really mediocre and I don't get what that means practically. Built-in rotating polariser? The whole mount rotating and changing the flange distance? From how the slits look like, it doesn't seem to be changing the flange distance by 40mm.

Upvote 0
I think that 28-70 F2 is a typo and its actually 2.8. Anyway, this is really exciting, hoping for some additional leaks before next week.

Wouldn't that be something :) Though I am convinced they wouldn't release a 28-70 range at 2.8 - that's just history. Unless of course they managed to make it very small. But no, I don't think so.

It could however be a prime like RF 70/2.8. Man, all the hype and excitement for nothing. Anyway... I am fully satisfied with the R body and 50/1.2 so... eitherway this release will be spectacular...

Upvote 0
Top items in order of likelihood to turn this announcement sentiment completely around:
1- It has one card slot. I think this matters not at all, but apparently, it's the one critical feature for everyone commenting negatively on the new Nikons.
2- Announcement date: September 18; release date: "first half of 2019," which will mean August 2019 if precedent holds.
3- AF speed isn't as fast.
4- Lag after pressing shutter in most situations, such as current M series. (In my opinion, the biggest real, likely wrench in the works.)
5- Native EF lenses suffer one of several disadvantages, such as lowering the frames per second or preventing metering or AF during burst shooting.
6- Buffer can take 17 images and then craps out.
7- Battery life is between 200-300 shots rather than 700-00 shots (even though it'll turn out that the CIPA standards aren't realistic, and people get 400-500).
8- It takes on SD. Or it takes only CF. Or it takes only CFast. Or it takes a combination of a couple of those. In any configuration 3/4s of people will think it's dumb.
9- It STILL uses the old format of SD, critically strangling data flow for dual card use.
10- Tony Northrup loves it. (Tony, imo, is great, but he rubs this forum the wrong way.)

You can pick 2 from above if you're an optimist, or 3 if you're a pessimist, but hold on, as it's never not happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Yep, I meant the entire lens mount may revolve to accommodate EF and RF lens......."Revolving Flange"

Actually, I wonder whether RF is short for rotating focus. What I mean is that the focus system‘s travel can occur within the body of the camera with the sensor moving back and forth. While this might not cover the entire focus range for macro or telephoto applications, this may well reduce the complexity of construction well as reduce exterior dimensions for less specialized lenses. In this way, the new lineup could be slightly smaller than comparable lenses for the EF lineup and better compete with Sony and Nikon’s smaller form factor. It could also allow for faster autofocus speed... If two motors are working together to move between distant and near focus, it might be the design solution to avoiding the need to provide additional electrical power to the lens-based AF motor if it is not supported by the EF protocol. This would therefore be a way to not require a stronger and more powerful AF motor in the lens.

Upvote 0
A lot of us have been expecting a 5DS(R) successor for a while. But it may make sense for Canon to release a high-res model as an EOS R to completely remove the mirror-slap effect. A mirrorless model seems like the way to go if they ever intended to upscale the 120MXSC sensor to full-frame (or some variant of it).

It would make sense to release one to compete directly with the Z7.
I think you can count on it. When it is released it will most likely have more MP. than the Z7.

Upvote 0
Actually, I wonder whether RF is short for rotating focus. What I mean is that the focus system‘s travel can occur within the body of the camera with the sensor moving back and forth. While this might not cover the entire focus range for macro or telephoto applications, this may well reduce the complexity of construction well as reduce exterior dimensions for less specialized lenses. In this way, the new lineup could be slightly smaller than comparable lenses for the EF lineup and better compete with Sony and Nikon’s smaller form factor. It could also allow for faster autofocus speed... If two motors are working together to move between distant and near focus, it might be the design solution to avoiding the need to provide additional electrical power to the lens-based AF motor if it is not supported by the EF protocol. This would therefore be a way to not require a stronger and more powerful AF motor in the lens.

That was kicking around in my head too. That might explain why the 70-200 lenses were just updated too without making significant changes. Micro-adjustments to focus could actually happen within the camera while working with the lens for faster tracking, which might mean existing EF lenses would be slightly slower since the can't communicate and work the same way.

Upvote 0
What strength ND? Variable ND? Likely not enough room to swing out a filter. A slot to remove/insert.

Well, electronic Liquid Crystal ND filters are expensive but they are indeed variable and AFAIK don’t move out of the way when in ‘clear’ mode.

Just as an example, Panavision showed off their LCND technology earlier this year and hope to bring it onto the market in Q1 ‘19.
What’s cool is that the polarity of the crystals can be precisely controlled via the input voltage. This allows for pretty fine control over the filter’s light blocking setting. If this is cheaper than Panavision’s solution or can be used on the new mirrorless offering (with improved video capabilities), I would bet that many videographers might find this system quite appealing!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Top items in order of likelihood to turn this announcement sentiment completely around:
1- It has one card slot. I think this matters not at all, but apparently, it's the one critical feature for everyone commenting negatively on the new Nikons.
2- Announcement date: September 18; release date: "first half of 2019," which will mean August 2019 if precedent holds.
3- AF speed isn't as fast.
4- Lag after pressing shutter in most situations, such as current M series. (In my opinion, the biggest real, likely wrench in the works.)
5- Native EF lenses suffer one of several disadvantages, such as lowering the frames per second or preventing metering or AF during burst shooting.
6- Buffer can take 17 images and then craps out.
7- Battery life is between 200-300 shots rather than 700-00 shots (even though it'll turn out that the CIPA standards aren't realistic, and people get 400-500).
8- It takes on SD. Or it takes only CF. Or it takes only CFast. Or it takes a combination of a couple of those. In any configuration 3/4s of people will think it's dumb.
9- It STILL uses the old format of SD, critically strangling data flow for dual card use.
10- Tony Northrup loves it. (Tony, imo, is great, but he rubs this forum the wrong way.)

You can pick 2 from above if you're an optimist, or 3 if you're a pessimist, but hold on, as it's never not happened.
First of its class will absolutely not please everyone, especially at a $2k price point. There has to be a few issues to keep this forum alive.

Upvote 0