Here’s the full list of gear Canon will announce on September 5

And a rumored TWO models afoot... what might the next one be? If this is the EOS R .... might we finally see the EOS C ? Or perhaps EOS S (like the 1DS higher resolution models of yesteryear)

I am guessing that if there are 2 models, one could be the EF-R that takes EF and the other a EF-R only?

Upvote 0
Maybe not when it's just released, but in a time, it'll get more MPs growing. Because R may stand for Replicating pixels...

So we can buy the 28mp version, keep it watered and in the sun and in 6 months to a year it will mature in to a full fledged 50mp body?
When will they release the 100mm lens that we can grow to 500mm?

Now that is innovative.

Upvote 0
But will it make me a sandwich? I think that's the question we've really all been asking ourselves.

I'm definitely not asking myself the question if the new camera will make you a sandwich. But now it's on the table (the question I mean)...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
What strength ND? Variable ND? Likely not enough room to swing out a filter. A slot to remove/insert
For PL, shouldn’t it be called PL-C as is the case for the drop-in supertele CPLs?

But back up a step... M.ADAP R = either adapting an EF-M lens to the R body (is that even feasible, and with an APS-C image circle who would really want to, and even if so, why make three different versions of it?
No, more likely it’s to adapt R lenses to EOS M bodies. That makes sense for an upgrade path from APS-C to FF MILC, but it also means all these discussions of the video features of the new bodies benefiting from such an adapter are moot. The latter only applies if PL is for adapting PL mount lenses to the EOS R.

EF-M and EF-R are the new systems going forward for mirrorless. Adapters are for M-bodies to accept R lenses. In the interim, while Canon builds out a "complete" R lens line, there will be a EOS-R cameras that take both EF and EF-R lenses.

... that's my guess.

Upvote 0
So we can buy the 28mp version, keep it watered and in the sun and in 6 months to a year it will mature in to a full fledged 50mp body?
When will they release the 100mm lens that we can grow to 500mm?

These are all well known inventions, especially the one that helps the lens grow. As an example, there's lots of advertised pills on the web that help grow one's self-esteem. Surely the pills must be working or nobody would buy them.

Note however that the sensor wouldn't just grow in the sunlight. You'll have to feed it somehow.

Upvote 0
Yes, these seem to be adapters to mount R lenses on other mounts. Everything points to EF lenses mounting directly on the new camera.
Assuming they really have native EF mounting. If they don't these could be three adapters for EF lenses... one plain jane, one with ND, and one with a polarizer.

Fun to speculate, we'll soon see!

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Maybe this is one of the reasons the 70-200 III only got coatings and a paint job. I can imagine developing all of this new gear over the last several years would take a lot of time and resources - it may have made more sense to just do a refresh of the 70-200 (considering how good it still is) when you're developing all of this behind the scene
Maybe this is one of the reasons the 70-200 III only got coatings and a paint job. I can imagine developing all of this new gear over the last several years would take a lot of time and resources - it may have made more sense to just do a refresh of the 70-200 (considering how good it still is) when you're developing all of this behind the scenes.
Roger Cicala has a post on his tear down of the 70-200 F4 on the Lensrental site. It''s more than coatings and a paint job.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Interesting implications from that list.

The lack of an EF mount adapter strongly suggests the new camera will be able to natively mount EF lenses.

The lack of an IS designation on standard lenses suggests IBIS.

L USM lenses are consistent with a serious, high end offering.

No CR3 tag, so presumably this remains a rumor. If this rumor turns out to be true, there will be plenty of crow to be served on these forms.

Exactly the same conclusions came to my mind when I saw this list.

So it will be one body only, other than Nikon's Z strategy, but already a list of five lenses fully designed for this R mount. In particular the 24-105mm kit shows which type of user Canon wants to address first - those who want a flexible gear with one or only a few additional lenses. Looks like a smart start into a new system, since the EF 24-105 f/4 is quite popular, and I read frequently that sales statistics prove that most system camera owner just have one zoom lens. Obviously, Canon does not want to put their bet only on a small group of enthusiasts that prefer more special lenses, including fast primes. But for those they already offer some mouth watering lenses such as the new 50mm f/1.2.

Interesting times for Canon users :)

Upvote 0
These are all well known inventions, especially the one that helps the lens grow. As an example, there's lots of advertised pills on the web that help grow one's self-esteem. Surely the pills must be working or nobody would buy them.

Note however that the sensor wouldn't just grow in the sunlight. You'll have to feed it somehow.

I am sorry. I do not know how to respond to this without the post being deleted.
Any form of stimulation I can think of to aid in lens growth would require an "over 18" disclaimer on the website I use for posting the work.

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Wow, this took me by surprise. If this holds true Canon goes into the mirrorless market heavy handed.

This camera must be really amazing if they think people will pay >1k $ for lenses for it. 28-70 F2 and 50 F1.2 are definitely not going to be typical prosumer lenses when it comes to price range.

Or it will come later so the price of early adoption will have to include at least one lens?

The lack of an adapter suggests a dual mount. It would make for a spectacular marketing fail to force customers to buy new lenses with thei cameras.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016

Fascinating to read about.

IBIS was a no brainer. Anyone who has used a 1.4 lens with IBIS on a Sony system knows this is a - in some not all cases - really useful feature. Allowing you, for example, to use ISO 1600 instead of 6400 is a huge difference and far bigger difference than can be made up with a better sensor. It was only a matter of time before Canon (and Nikon) cracked and had to offer it.

The 28-70/2 is likely to become the photojournalist and wedding photographer standard issue tool assuming it isn't too big. Combine that with IBIS and you have a potentially game changing lens.

Offering a 35/1.8 in the new mount is very smart - Sony has tried to be too clever by not offering one to drive people to buy their badly built and ridiculously overpriced 35/1.4 or else buy the Rx1R. Both canon and Nikon spotted this easy meat.

The only surprise is that we aren't seeing anything wide angle but that will come. It is there that one sees the real advantages of getting the rear most lens elements close to the sensor - look at Sony's 16-35GM v Canon 16-35L III. The Sony is smaller, lighter and has half the vignetting. It is also a complete lottery as to whether you get a good one. I have the feeling that Sony will be punished hard for their appalling quality control by both Canon and Nikon.

Given there is some possible mention of an adapter maybe RF really will be a new mount. However I thought I would offer this link to anyone confused by the notion that Canon might keep the EF mount - it's a Voigtlander lens made for Nikon F-mount (as Nikons allow mirror lock up) that gets the rear most elements right up to the sensor. The result is tiny size and outstanding quality in a 15mm lens.

http://blog.16-9.net/1236-2

If Canon takes this option it would mean that the EF mount remains which for lens like a 70-200 is preferable - such lenses are not comfortable to hold on the Sony E-mount. Compare the Ziesss Loxia 21 and Zeiss ZE classic 21 - the Loxia is so much smaller. That is the advantage of removing the mirror. It only really applies though to wide angle lenses so if Canon does retain EF mount then I think we would only see a handful of new wide angle lenses that offer a big size saving.

But all mounts have good and bad sides. Canon will want to keep professionals happy so I am sure ergonomics with large lenses will have been considered.

Upvote 0
Sorry DSLR users, you need to buy a new camera to use the RF 28-70 f2.8 L zoom. Does that alienate the existing Canon users and set the stage for MLFF platform for Canon?

I think there are alot of pent up demand who didn't switch to Sony/Nikon will buy FF mirrorless provided it's dual card slot, eyeAF, IBIS, DPAF, ergonomic. 24-70 F2 with a very capable FF mirrorless would make alot of photographers upgrade and switch.

Upvote 0
I'm jumping ship...........Sony to Canon. I'm not even trolling or a fan boy! Just waiting for the right Canon to get me back.

Why? I only see if you still have alot of Canon EF lens. It's going to be harder for Sony users with alot of native lens. Beside, Sony is releasing their A7SIII soon too

Upvote 0