Here’s the full list of gear Canon will announce on September 5

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
Better if it's a new sensor with on-chip ADCs (better DR) and 4k that's not severely crippled like the M50.

Agreed! I'm sure Canon knows (or at least I hope they know) that they can't pull an M50 when it comes to 4K on a nearly 2 grand camera, especially when it's competing with other cameras with good 4K at the same price point.

Upvote 0
With all the patents Canon had around curved/curving sensors could the R be for Radial or Rounded?

Canons new Radial Focus system using the latest in curved chip technologies making lens design easier and cheaper while making the lenses lighter and brighter than was ever possible before. Virtually eliminating any vignette from any Canon lens.

Not one to turn their backs on the millions of Canon users already invested in the EF system canon has made it possible to lay the new sensor out perfectly flat so all current EF lenses are supported just like the are in todays mirror slapping DSLRs.

However do note, third party lens owners, you're hosed. No support for you turncoats! Except maybe Sigma whom I believe I've read has managed to get some lenses included in the Canon firmware for lens corrections. Did Sigma own a key patent on some new process or material???

Upvote 0
On the contrary. "RF 35mm f/1.8 M IS" - that implies there's no IBIS unfortunately, doesn' it? I'm disappointed. I was hoping to eventually buy it and mount my 24-70 on it and make it stabilised. The only faint hope is in that 'M'. What is it, 'M'? An RF-mount lens also mountable on EF-M? That doesn't add up.
Macro, in which case additional IS might be needed.

Upvote 0
I hope even 1/3 of this is true. Unfortunately, I think the only portion may be the
  • EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM
  • EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III
  • EF 600mm f/4L IS III
If any of this mirrorless is true, Canon just dropped the mic on Nikon. LOL
and gained back all of the people who switch to a Sony camera but were still using EF lenses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Perhaps the camera can use both EF-R and EF lenses. But because Canon wants to get EF-M owners to buy into their new EF-R lenses, the adaptors are for mounting the new (smaller than EF) EF-R lenses to their M bodies?
Previous discussions have theorized the the R lenses rear elements will protude into what was once the mirror space, if the design could benefit from it. If that is the case, the 28-70 f2 might mot be as big as imagined.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
We need to be talking about 28-70 F2. This is a dream come true. I know it is not 24mm but still a f2 zoom lens (great range) L series. If the body has IBIS with, let's say 3 stop compensation, this will be the most used lens and more versatile. I will sell my L primes for this... and provably 5d mk4 too...

Well, I'm going to wait to see what results shows before selling anything :) But yes, it's an excellent choice of launch lens. Far more inspired than the dull Nikon 24-70 f/4

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
We need to be talking about 28-70 F2. This is a dream come true. I know it is not 24mm but still a f2 zoom lens (great range) L series. If the body has IBIS with, let's say 3 stop compensation, this will be the most used lens and more versatile. I will sell my L primes for this... and provably 5d mk4 too...

If they made a 28-70 f/2L that's not a beast in terms of size/weight (say...no worse than the 24-70 f/2.8L II), and fits on a body with IBIS, they just made a dream FF walk around/street camera.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Less certain:
  • Two cards
  • 4K uses DPAF
  • Eye AF (M50 has it...)
  • E-shutter option for ultra-fast shutter speeds or increased framerate
- A

First time I've seen anyone bring up the one feature I care about immensely.

The a9's electronic shutter has a faster scan time than any current FF mirrorless camera and is the only one quick enough (1/160) to stop motion. I've been praying Canon's FF mirrorless offerings will match or exceed the a9 in this respect, because I don't want to buy an a9 for wedding and BTS (film and TV) work, but I will if I have to in order to avoid using a DSLR and blimp.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Agreed! I'm sure Canon knows (or at least I hope they know) that they can't pull an M50 when it comes to 4K on a nearly 2 grand camera, especially when it's competing with other cameras with good 4K at the same price point.

I'd expect 4K with autofocus but with crop. Finally, there will be a lot of people unhappy about the video capabilities, either because of crop, framerate, bitrate, etc... I think it is safe to say, it will be good video but not competing the Cinema EOS

Upvote 0
In fact, Canon did that back in the 80s, when they came up with the completely new EF mount that was not compatible with the old mount. It was a risky bet but it worked. Btw our Canon gear never has trouble with lens connection failures, our Nikon gear (serveral cameras) produces quite frequently such errors. The advantage of the Nikon (D)SLR mount is its compatibility with older lenses but that comes with a price. I think, besides the much bigger diameter of the Z mount this could have been another reason why Nikon now pulled the plug.
and you still won't be able to adapt older FD lenses on the new body because of the flange distance. :-( But they work great on my M5!

Upvote 0
[First, I'm gonna call the new mount EF-R (though it could be RF, or Henry, or In-Your-Face-Nikon-Z)]*

Could we be over-thinking(wishing) this a little?

I'm not convinced the "M" in M.ADAP has anything to do with EOS M mount. It's possible that it's just an EF to EF-R adapter that goes with the new mount, just like the EF to EF-M adapter when the EOS M was released. Perhaps the "sexiness" that was rumored is just the built-in filters.

If the EF-R mount lenses do protrude into the body, thus allowing an EF lens to attach to an EOS R body without adapter, then perhaps the adapter in this rumor is for attaching EF-R lenses to an EF mount camera?

It's interesting to note that the rumor includes super-telephoto lenses with EF mount. That would seem to indicate that EF is here to stay for a while -- at least for pros. I think that points to either A) EF lenses attaching natively to the EOS R body, or B) EF-R lenses being adaptable to future EF mount DLSRs. I'm still leaning toward a regular old EF to EF-R adapter so people can use their EF lenses on the new EF-R mount.

Whatever it turns out to be, I'm looking forward to the announcement.

*If nothing else, Canon won't have to start the "XXX Million EF Lenses Produced" tally over again.:p

EDIT: Okay, it's probably called RF, if Nokishita is rarely wrong, and that's what they're posting. It's gonna suck to have to start that lens production volume number over again, though... ;)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
First time I've seen anyone bring up the one feature I care about immensely.

The a9's electronic shutter has a faster scan time than any current FF mirrorless camera and is the only one quick enough (1/160) to stop motion. I've been praying Canon's FF mirrorless offerings will match or exceed the a9 in this respect, because I don't want to buy an a9 for wedding and BTS (film and TV) work, but I will if I have to in order to avoid using a DSLR and blimp.

Not-at-all-bold prediction: Canon will not put some racecar sort of spec into a 6-series level camera for $2k.

And remember, the A9 was a technical showhorse and not a working camera. It had a 5 fps mechanical shutter, for the speedier stuff up to 20 fps you needed an e-shutter -- and it was problematic. Not shocked at all that the III generation of the A7 line can deliver top advertised fps through a mechanical shutter.

Bleeding edge performance -- like 1-series performance -- in a mirrorless rig is surely years away. I'm guessing that Canon will build up from the bottom with a 6-series mirrorless and then a 5-series mirrorless of some sort before they ever dream of a 1-series mirrorless setup.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
[First, I'm gonna call the new mount EF-R (though it could be RF, or Henry, or In-Your-Face-Nikon-Z)]If the EF-R mount lenses do protrude into the body, thus allowing an EF lens to attach to an EOS R body without adapter, then perhaps the adapter in this rumor is for attaching EF-R lenses to an EF mount camera?

Then the rear element would slap the mirror. UNLESS the adapter communicated the situation to the lens, the MF linkage was electronic, and the only loss that comes with stopping the element from protruding into the body would be some loss in minimum focus distance.

If that's the case...if Canon gives us two way compatibility between EF and mirrorless...wow.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I'm not convinced the "M" in M.ADAP has anything to do with EOS M mount. It's possible that it's just an EF to EF-R adapter that goes with the new mount, just like the EF to EF-M adapter when the EOS M was released. Perhaps the "sexiness" that was rumored is just the built-in filters.

+1. I'm not saying this is what we're getting, but the jury remains out until we see this damn thing.

We could bolt EF right on these new bodies.

But it could just be an A7 / Z sort of offering with a thin mount + adaptor but Canon just made the adaptors sexy.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0