Here are more Canon EOS R6 Specifications [CR2]

Aug 26, 2015
"Head detection" but not "eye detection". Unbelievable. Not in the market for the R6, but if I was I'd be severely disappointed.
That one is already included, probably in an even better version than before...
It just means that it won't loose the subject if the head is turned away, goes right back to eye-tracking if it detects it again.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
That one is already included, probably in an even better version than before...
It just means that it won't loose the subject if the head is turned away, goes right back to eye-tracking if it detects it again.
That's what I was thinking, where HEAD is different and at times harder to do than FACE detection.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Hope you are right. Time will tell.
They are not going backwards, they are going forwards.
And in the case of these two cameras, they look like quite a big jump over previous models.
Not sure why the R6 was hiding until now, it is definitely looks strong even on the specs sheet :)

Just like with the 5D category, they have lifted the 6D category as well to something much more serious than before, I was definitely wrong on this one, but I am not complaining, probably buying it instead, when the timing becomes right for that.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

WOW

C-Log, 1080p @120, 4K@60... Zebras?! Really?

Was not expecting all that to actually make it down through from the R5. WOW WOW WOW. And considering the new image next to the R5, I think the R6 is back on the table for my consideration. I didn't want an RP sized compact

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Sooo....who still thinks this is a 6DII entry level replacement body? No way with a 20MP sensor, dual card slots, and now 5K oversampled video is this a 6D replacement. The RP mark II will be the 6D replacement.

I still want to know if it will have a recording limit, will record video to both card slots at the same time, and if they will make an XLR module for it...other than that this body is exactly what I predicted it to be; a GH5, GH5s, S1, and maybe even an S1H killer for an incredible price. I don't even bother to mention the Sony A7S because IMO even the GH5 already beats that one.

Lets not forget, probably a reused 1DXIII sensor with IBIS which is the icing on the cake. For those that don't remember, here is my original predictions list:

R1 - 1DX Mirrorless Replacement
R5 - 5D Replacement
R5S - 5DS Replacement
R6 - Video focused body but with less resolution to protect the R5
R8 - Entry level FF Canon Mirrorless (aka RP Mark II)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
If the R6 was close to the RP in size I would have been in the market for it.
Now as we see that it is a downsized (feature wise) R5 with high ISO as only better feature, I'd start saving for a R5 or a 5D5.
But it will be VERY interesting to see the performance of the new EVF.
I didn't expect them R5 and R6 to have the same. I thought that would be som downsizing feature as well.
Interesting times.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
True. Let's hope it'll have IBIS and a better battery. So the waiting season begins again :ROFLMAO:

I think IBIS is a given, no way will they not include IBIS. And I think the battery will be the same as the R5, from the rumors the new Canon battery will be better and fit the existing 5DIV so it really doesn't get any better than this.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
sorry few questions for anyone who can answer

-could someone explain oversampling 5K video for me please?
- Being C log and 10bit doesn't that mean the grading potential of the 4K and Full HD will be nearly that of Raw video?
-When they say No Raw Video mode I get confused if it means you can grab a RAW frame from the video or does it mean it does not record Raw gradable video
- Ah and do you guys think the R6 will have a joystick also?
nonetheless AMAZING specs!
That would suggest the camera is using a full sensor width readout at 16:9, which at a 2:3 sensor size of 20MP, you're getting 5K ish. So instead of punching down to a 1.3x crop at 1:1 4k. You're NOT cropping, sampling from the entire sensor area and then compressing the 5K read down to 4K files with 10 bit CLog 422 etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I think IBIS is a given, no way will they not include IBIS. ...
Since I own a EOS 200D/SL2 that has that age, age, age, age old nine digit diamond AF I believe that Canon can do everything to downsize a camera as long as they think it sells.
BTW I only got the 200D as a replacement with some delta money for my 100D that was ruined by Canon service. I wouldn't have bought it to replace my 100D/SL1.
But it was a fair deal of my Canon service, so I said "yes!".

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
With respect to RAW vs 10 bit:
- RAW on the 1DX3 is 12 bit, not 10 bit. I don't think we know raw depth yet for the R5.
- RAW is not chroma subsampled AFAIK, whereas the 10 bit will likely be 422.

A 10 bit, 422, clog image should be pretty flexible when it comes to grading, but probably wouldn't be "nearly that" of a 12 bit raw image.

I have been really amazed at the latitude I've had in that 10bit 4:2:2 C-Log gamma recorded externally in ProRes 422 off the EOS R. I'm assuming this will be pretty much identical. RAW would get you even more, but you have to ask yourself "Is all that extra workflow and computing power necessary for X project?" I would suspect not in nearly every typical case, short some real high end Pro level commercial work. I can't ever see myself using that RAW recording except to screw with it and do comparisons. That being said... IF IF IF Canon were to pay the piper and give us ProRes RAW output ability with the Atomos products (Like Nikon did)... well hell, now I'm interested. Because that basically eliminates the extra workflow issues

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Sooo....who still thinks this is a 6DII entry level replacement body? No way with a 20MP sensor, dual card slots, and now 5K oversampled video is this a 6D replacement. The RP mark II will be the 6D replacement.
The 6D is the little brother to the 5D.
The R6 is the little brother to the R5 (they are just not as far away as expected).
Go figure.

Apart from a high-megapixel and a sports-oriented/more durable model (maybe with an even newer sensor to make it the flagship) and possibly a crop-sensor body to be used with new telephoto lenses, the FF line-up has been pretty much completed (for now)

The RP can soldier on for about 2,5 years until it is time to replace it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0