Here are more Canon EOS R6 Specifications [CR2]

Fran Decatta

EOS R6
Mar 6, 2019
I was just thinking it would make great 2nd camera to the R5 for wedding work .

Yeah, it surely is a great option as a second body, but i won't take profit of the R5 specifications, so the R6 will be my main (and only, this last year I only used eos R + 28-70 f2 on weddings). R5 is a monster camera, but very expensive just to have more megapixels. I will use 0 video features.

My backup body will be the RP.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Yeah, it surely is a great option as a second body, but i won't take profit of the R5 specifications, so the R6 will be my main (and only, this last year I only used eos R + 28-70 f2 on weddings). R5 is a monster camera, but very expensive just to have more megapixels. I will use 0 video features.

Yeah I get that , I was going to buy the R5 and keep my RP as the second shooter , I need the R5 because I aslo shot videos for my daughter (music) , so it is has more value to me , now though I think I might sell the RP and buy the R6 so I have 2 cameras with dual card slots .

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015

Let's just hope they don't forget the joystick.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
sorry few questions for anyone who can answer

-could someone explain oversampling 5K video for me please?
- Being C log and 10bit doesn't that mean the grading potential of the 4K and Full HD will be nearly that of Raw video?
-When they say No Raw Video mode I get confused if it means you can grab a RAW frame from the video or does it mean it does not record Raw gradable video
- Ah and do you guys think the R6 will have a joystick also?
nonetheless AMAZING specs!

-Oversampling 5K means it is going to read some portion of the sensor that is larger than the final resolution then downsize (oversample) that larger image into 5K resolution. In the context of the R6 I have no idea what it means; maybe it will be able to output 5K video to an external recorder, maybe only be able to records a few seconds of 5K...who knows until we see the full specs.

- CLog and 10bit will still not quite equal RAW video which is typically 12bit or higher. Also the data rates (30/50/100/150/200/400?), codecs (H.264, H.265?), and color sampling (4:2:0 or 4:2:2?), as well as the compression options (LongGOP, ALl-Intra) can all affect how close to raw quality the video is. Without knowing all of the specs all we can do is speculate. Even with CLOG, is it CLOG, CLOG2, or CLOG3?

-Raw video mode means raw video straight off of the sensor with no compression and metadata that allows you to adjust things like WB in post (similar to raw images)

- I think the R6 will probably have a joystick, though to be honest for video work you really don't need it especially if the screen has tap to focus as an option. My GH5 does not have a joystick and I've never missed it, and my C200 has a joystick and I've never used it except to navigate the menus. The joystick is not a big deal as long as they didn't keep the function bar.

Upvote 0

Fran Decatta

EOS R6
Mar 6, 2019
Yeah I get that , I was going to buy the R5 and keep my RP as the second shooter , I need the R5 because I aslo shot videos for my daughter (music) , so it is has more value to me , now though I think I might sell the RP and buy the R6 so I have 2 cameras with dual card slots .

Totally, in your case, is a sure movement without doubt. If I were a videographer, R5 would be a clear choice!

Upvote 0

Fran Decatta

EOS R6
Mar 6, 2019
Let's just hope they don't forget the joystick.

If the R6 have the same feature to focus as the eos R, for me is ok, if the camera don't have joystick. I feel that I work much faster with the finger in the screen than with joystick. But this is just a personal taste :) Maybe with a very sensitive joystick is also fine!

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
The 6D is the little brother to the 5D.
The R6 is the little brother to the R5 (they are just not as far away as expected).
Go figure.

Apart from a high-megapixel and a sports-oriented/more durable model (maybe with an even newer sensor to make it the flagship) and possibly a crop-sensor body to be used with new telephoto lenses, the FF line-up has been pretty much completed (for now)

The RP can soldier on for about 2,5 years until it is time to replace it.

My point is the 6D was traditionally the entry level FF, IMO both the R5 and R6 have moved up the scale far enough to leave room below for a new entry level FF which would be the RP. Many people on here were saying the R6 won't be much of a camera due to the 20MP sensor, no top down LCD, and lower build quality. My point all along is that those specs actually are clues to anyone in the video world that this thing will actually be a workhorse for video while still taking fantastic stills....a slot the 6D never held.

Upvote 0
Totally, in your case, is a sure movement without doubt. If I were a videographer, R5 would be a clear choice!

Thanks a bunch!!! so was it assume that the R5's raw recording at 4 and 8k automatically mean is 12bit then, which is where WB can be adjusted pretty well in post? thanks for answering all that!

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
If the R6 have the same feature to focus as the eos R, for me is ok, if the camera don't have joystick. I feel that I work much faster with the finger in the screen than with joystick. But this is just a personal taste :) Maybe with a very sensitive joystick is also fine!
When I don't want to use the EVF and use touch and drag AF, I really wish I could use the joystick, much more stable for video.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
My point is the 6D was traditionally the entry level FF, IMO both the R5 and R6 have moved up the scale far enough to leave room below for a new entry level FF which would be the RP. Many people on here were saying the R6 won't be much of a camera due to the 20MP sensor, no top down LCD, and lower build quality. My point all along is that those specs actually are clues to anyone in the video world that this thing will actually be a workhorse for video while still taking fantastic stills....a slot the 6D never held.
Actually, the A7, the entry-level mirrorless FF, was evolved in a very similar way to the 6D line.
First it was the basic one, then it was the basic one with IBIS and minor tweaks (not that big of an upgrade, just like the 6D Mark II)
And then it suddenly steamed ahead with dual card slots, big battery, advanced AF, high fps, and massive video features, but it was still referred to as "the new entry-level model" in Sony's introductory video.

With these features and big upgrades, the R6 is already aiming at the A7IV, which will also be rising to that 2500$ price bracket.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
When I don't want to use the EVF and use touch and drag AF, I really wish I could use the joystick, much more stable for video.

I'm the opposite, I don't want to bump the camera body for say an interview with two talking heads so I tap the screen to switch focus points, the VF mount absorbs the slight vibration vs a joystick which would shake the camera body.

I think both have their uses but if I had to pick one for video I would pick touch AF.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I'm the opposite, I don't want to bump the camera body for say an interview with two talking heads so I tap the screen to switch focus points, the VF mount absorbs the slight vibration vs a joystick which would shake the camera body.

I think both have their uses but if I had to pick one for video I would pick touch AF.
Well, the joystick does not take away any features, it only adds one more option.

I just want to use the camera handheld, the left hand under the swivel screen stabilises the camera from the left, but I can't reach over there with the right hand and I want to stay on the grip anyway. With the joystick I can adjust the focus very easily without changing the grip and I can just move over to AF-ON to disengage it if need.
All without any additional accessories, pretty neat for a run and gun camera.

After I dream about this, I am sure Canon will not keep that in there in the R6 and just keep it to the R5 :)

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Just another video camera. Give us FF with M line ergonomics!
Not really, it is a stills camera with advanced video features.
The RF lenses are a lot bigger than EF-M lenses, and the sensor consumes more power, so it makes perfect sense to have different ergonomics with a bigger battery.
The RP is as close as you can get to an M body with a FF sensor anyway.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
The 6D line is now Canon's version of the a7s - price, features, resolution, and use. If this all plays out and it launches at $2499, I'll feel vindicated :D

There was always a snowball's chance in hell that a camera with IBIS and the 1DX mk III's sensor was going to become the new entry-level body ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Yes, if AF performance is on par with R5, that is actually pretty good, because traditionally in the DSLR lines, Canon used to cripple the AF performance for the lower models. I wonder if the AF is quick enough to capture fast jets or flying bird actions.
I believe the word you were looking for was 'differentiate'

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0