Here are more specifications for the Canon EOS R5

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Puke. In body or no sale.
So, it's no sale for me and I'll have to stick to my 5D4s - bank account will be happy.
If I hadn't already sold my Mark 4, lack of GPS might have given me pause. I use it in most of my photography, so not having it built-in is a bit of an inconvenience. But realistically, I only need it in very specific circumstances. I would definitely still prefer it built-in, but if the Bluetooth way works okay, it's not a dealbreaker. The R5 so much more than the R5- GPS or no.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Why would you need GPS? That just makes forensics work too easy.
It's a requirement in much scientific photography; in biology, archaeology, geography, geology, oceanography (not many landmarks out there), and many other fields, a photo may be useless without location data. Not having it in my R5 will be an annoyance, but not a deal killer for me.

And not everyone is paranoid about having people know where they are. My home address is in the telephone book, in state records freely available on-line, and in the Chinese Ministry of State Security database, thanks to their hacking the U.S. Office of Personnel Management. Am I worried? Do I give a rat's knobby kneecaps? Not in the least! As for the forensic aspect, I would recommend that, if you commit a crime while carrying a GPS-enabled camera, including a smartphone, don't take a selfie at the crime scene.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know whether the R5 has a digital zoom in 1080p, and 4K, similar to the Sony Clear Zoom?
This would turn a 70-200 f/2.8 into a 70-600 in 1080p, which would be incredibly useful

8K means 16x 1080p , basicly you could crop later, but this is really interesting. Can we get inbody 16x crop zoom out R5 :)

Upvote 0
8K means 16x 1080p , basicly you could crop later, but this is really interesting. Can we get inbody 16x crop zoom out R5 :)

Recording 8K is too much data, and would be really really hard to work with in post. I would reserve that for truly special cases, of which I don't have one right now. But recording in 1080p and having a functional digital zoom would be really useful all of the time. Even having a digital zoom while recoding in 4K would be awesome. Every prime lense becomes a zoom, and you wouldn't have to deal with the cumbersome 8K files.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
View attachment 191260

Just saw this screen in a video. GPS device settings... I wish I could see what its options are.

The R, RP and M6II have the same menu entry. On the R and RP it's for both the GP-E2 and the bluetooth connections to the phone app, on the M6II it's just about the bluetooth connection to the phone app.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
It's a requirement in much scientific photography; in biology, archaeology, geography, geology, oceanography (not many landmarks out there), and many other fields, a photo may be useless without location data. Not having it in my R5 will be an annoyance, but not a deal killer for me.

And not everyone is paranoid about having people know where they are. My home address is in the telephone book, in state records freely available on-line, and in the Chinese Ministry of State Security database, thanks to their hacking the U.S. Office of Personnel Management. Am I worried? Do I give a rat's knobby kneecaps? Not in the least! As for the forensic aspect, I would recommend that, if you commit a crime while carrying a GPS-enabled camera, including a smartphone, don't take a selfie at the crime scene.

Taking notes

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Pre-order done. Adorama was nice enough to toss in a 128 GB CF Express card, case, extra battery, and UV filter to sweeten the deal. Got the kit with the 24-105 to try out the RF glass, plus the EF converter to use the old glass. Can't wait! My 5D Mk III was getting soooo long in the tooth at nearly 8 years of diligent service.
Hi,
Just curious, did you call and ask for these extra items? I am not seeing them on the website as included with purchase.
Is this the benefit of speaking to a human instead of ordering online?

Upvote 0

xanbarksdale

Canon Collector
CR Pro
Jul 18, 2019
Kentucky
I’m looking for a little clarity about the 4K recording...

I’ve seen multiple places that the 4K is recorded full frame (no crop). I’ve also seen that there is a 4K HQ which uses all the pixels and then downsamples the footage to 4K. And I’ve also seen that there is a crop mode.

Will the footage be that much better using 4K HQ as opposed to just “regular” 4K?

I’m mostly getting this camera to use 4K at 24 and 120fps. I feel like I’ve been overwhelmed with info the last two days, ha!

Upvote 0

I’ve seen multiple places that the 4K is recorded full frame (no crop). I’ve also seen that there is a 4K HQ which uses all the pixels and then downsamples the footage to 4K. And I’ve also seen that there is a crop mode.

Will the footage be that much better using 4K HQ as opposed to just “regular” 4K?

I’m mostly getting this camera to use 4K at 24 and 120fps. I feel like I’ve been overwhelmed with info the last two days, ha!

4K HQ is better than regular ( pixel binning ) 4K ... Regular 4K has no over heating issues. 4K HQ and 4K120FPS have over heating issues.

May be R6 is better. Nobody talks about R6 4K overheating issues. R6 has 4K HQ donwsampled from 5.5K. If there is no overheating issues, then maybe R6 is better option.

Upvote 0

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
With a CFExpress memory card, does the buffer ever fill, or does the camera write so fast that there is no buffer limit?

Imaging Resource:
Buffer depths are also quite impressive, for both CFexpress and SD cards, though none of the shooting speeds or image quality settings allow for an "unlimited" buffer capacity rating. Given the different performance specs of the two media card types, the buffer depths can vary depending on image quality settings. Further, the maximum buffer capacity changes depending on if you're shooting at the max. 12fps or 20fps. At 12fps, the buffer capacity for Large Fine JPEGs, Large Fine HEIF images as well as Compressed C-RAW files are the same for either CFexpress and UHS-II SD cards, with up to 350 JPEG images, 280 HEIF images or 260 C-RAW files. With full, uncompressed RAW, the R5's buffer drops to 180 frames for CFexpress or 87 for UHS-II SD.

When opting for the faster 20fps electronic shutter burst mode, Canon only provides a spec for buffer capacity using the CFexpress card, which is stated as 170 JPEG frames, 83 RAW or 130 Compressed C-RAW files. However, we are told that you can shoot at 20fps while saving images to the SD card slot.

Upvote 0