R5: Maximum burst RAW SD card: 66 CFexpress card: 180
JPEG Large / Fine SD card: 190 CFexpress card: 350
R6: Maximum burst RAW Standard card 110 High-speed card 240
JPEG Large / Fine Standard card 110 High-speed card 240
R5: Possible shots (at 23°C / 73°F, Screen, Smooth) 320
R6: Possible shots (at 23°C / 73°F, Screen, Smooth) 360

MOVIE RECORDING
R5: Movie recording size 8K DCI / UHD
R5: Movie recording size 4K High Frame Rate (119.88 / 100.00)
R5: Movie recording size 4K DCI 59.94, 29.97, 24.00, 23.98/50.00, 25.00, 24.00
R5: Movie recording size RAW movies
R5: Movie recording size 4K HQ mode movies

R5: Time-lapse movies 8K / 4K / Full HD
R6: Time-lapse movies 4K / Full HD

R5: Canon Log P / Tv / Av / M
R6: Canon Log Movie auto exposure Movie manual exposure

R5: Built-in microphone Monaural
R6: Built-in microphone Stereo

VIEWFINDER
R5: Dot count (approx.) 5.76 million dots
R6: Dot count (approx.) 3.69 million dots

MONITOR
R5: Dot count (approx.) 2.1 million dots
R6: Dot count (approx.) 1.62 million dots

AUTOFOCUS
R5: Focusing brightness range: Stills: EV –6 to 20
R6: Focusing brightness range: Stills: EV –6.5 to 20
R5: Focusing brightness range: Movies: 8K: EV -3 to 20 4K/Full HD: EV -4 to 20
R6: Focusing brightness range: Movies: EV –5 to 20

EXPOSURE CONTROL
R5: Movie A+ / P / Tv / Av / M / C1 / C2 / C3
R6: Movie A+*/Movie auto exposure/Movie manual exposure *Movie recordingis possible in A+ mode by pressing the movie shooting button.
R5: ISO Stills: Normal 100–51200
R6: ISO Stills: Normal 100–102400
R5: ISO Stills: Hi speed expansion 102400
R6: ISO Stills: Hi speed expansion 204800
R5: ISO Movies: Hi speed expansion 51200
R6: ISO Movies: Hi speed expansion 204800

IMAGE PROCESSING AFTER SHOOTING
R5: DPRAW processing (portrait relighting, background clarity)
R5: HEIF→JPEG conversion 8K/4K
R6: HEIF→JPEG conversion Yes
R5: Voice memo
R6: Frame grab

EXTERNAL INTERFACE
R5: Wireless File Transmitter support

WIRELESS COMMUNICATION
R5: 5 GHz Wi-Fi support

RECORDING MEDIA
R5: CFexpress card / SD,SDHC, SDXC memory cards
R6: SD, SDHC, SDXC memory cards

DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHT
R5: 138.5 x 97.5 x 88.0
R6: 138.4 x 97.5 x 88.4
R5: Weight 738g
R6: Weight 680g

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I posted this on the preorder thread, but it may be more appropriate here. Sorry for the redundancy. Is IPB on the R6 a big deal? I’m on a T3i (I know, sorry). I’m a woodworker, so I focus primarily on stills for my online store and social media, but I’ve recently started making some income on YouTube since I started posting videos of my builds. I don’t know much about All-I compared to IPB, or if it’s even worth thinking about. I would like that “cinematic” look, and wonder about color grading IPB, etc. Thanks for any advice or information. I got up at 4:50am to watch the release. Woo

Upvote 0
I found R6 as being a no go, due to "only" 20mpx (we've got a 5DIV with 30mpx) and we need some ability to crop (weddings, ppl around, things happening quickly), but ... dunno why, R6 seems as being a more balanced product to me. Maybe I can see those 8K videos and stuff as being over the board, I don't know. Maybe it is just because I have seen a 4000 ISO image from R6 on dpreview - so clean! Good times ahead anyway :cool:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I found R6 as being a no go, due to "only" 20mpx (we've got a 5DIV with 30mpx) and we need some ability to crop (weddings, ppl around, things happening quickly), but ... dunno why, R6 seems as being a more balanced product to me. Maybe I can see those 8K videos and stuff as being over the board, I don't know. Maybe it is just because I have seen a 4000 ISO image from R6 on dpreview - so clean! Good times ahead anyway :cool:

If the R6 were 30MP I'd be all over it. As it is I can't shake the gut conviction it'd be a huge step down with 20MP. (Yes, I know, I've read all of the arguments as to why it's not really so.) So R5 it shall be. Better overkill than underkill.

Upvote 0

Kharan

R6, RP, bunch of lenses
Nov 9, 2018
I guess I look at it as an actual user and not a spec warrior. Canons competition has up until recently offered steaming piles of barely functional Rhino s@#t(but geez they had great specs) that are uncomfortable to hold onto and would likely fail in challenging conditions(except for Nikon obviously, they have always had pretty good gear). Canon has always offered stuff that WORKS. Sonys AMAZING sensors were useless when the camera decided for no good reason to go on a bloody break. It is only in the last generation that Sony have been able to offer a decent camera body that has SOME level of comfort and seems to be reliable. I think I will stick with the company that actually cares about offering a quality product. At least, quality as I see it. In the hand and not on paper

That's pretty ridiculous, and I guess that you've never owned cameras from the competition. Panasonic make gear that makes anything but a 1DX seem flimsy in comparison, with ergonomics that are better than Canon's, and an interface that seems designed by people who actually use the product, not just look at blueprints and spec sheets. Sony cameras are reliable and work for years (I've owned many), and generally take the approach of giving the users as much as possible, and let them decide what they want to do with the gear. They're complicated, yes, but if one masters the interface they work exactly as one wants to, and not in the way that some guy in Tokyo decided it has to be.

But anyway, the R6 seems to be finally more or less free from crippling. That is the kind of product that most of us have expected from Canon for years. Let's see if it's not too late to solidify RF's position in the market, though.

Upvote 0

Kharan

R6, RP, bunch of lenses
Nov 9, 2018
I posted this on the preorder thread, but it may be more appropriate here. Sorry for the redundancy. Is IPB on the R6 a big deal? I’m on a T3i (I know, sorry). I’m a woodworker, so I focus primarily on stills for my online store and social media, but I’ve recently started making some income on YouTube since I started posting videos of my builds. I don’t know much about All-I compared to IPB, or if it’s even worth thinking about. I would like that “cinematic” look, and wonder about color grading IPB, etc. Thanks for any advice or information. I got up at 4:50am to watch the release. Woo

It shouldn't be a problem. IPB is more computer-intensive (i.e. your PC will be taxed more when working with those files), and it loses some quality, but if the sensor and performance are indeed like on the 1DX3, the video files will make those from your T3i look like a '70s B movie.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

If the R6 were 30MP I'd be all over it. As it is I can't shake the gut conviction it'd be a huge step down with 20MP. (Yes, I know, I've read all of the arguments as to why it's not really so.) So R5 it shall be. Better overkill than underkill.

30 MP might not be enough to distinguish it and it looks very much like it is a reused 1dx sensor so it didn't cost them anything in R&D. If it had gotten a 30MP sensor it would have been the old 5d4/R sensor, which isn't a bad sensor but it would not have the new DPAF 2. The only disappointing thing about the R6 to me is that they made it a lesser camera rather than let high MP vs low light monster stand up. But I get that my expectations are now coloured by Nikon Z, which I strongly feel is the way to go(Two identical bodies only separated by sensor, its not like people wanting a 45mp sensor aren't going to pay the premium for it).

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Of all the videos I saw so far, this one was the most usefull:

IS on the Tele Primes looks great. And apparantly IBIS works on EF lenses, although for IS ones it is only pitch, yaw and roll, without any translations? That's from the Canon guy in the video, who is a nice change compared to those ambassadors with their second hand info.

The R6 and 800 mm have me really interested. Although adapting my crop glass won't be an option with that MP count.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
That's pretty ridiculous, and I guess that you've never owned cameras from the competition. Panasonic make gear that makes anything but a 1DX seem flimsy in comparison, with ergonomics that are better than Canon's, and an interface that seems designed by people who actually use the product, not just look at blueprints and spec sheets. Sony cameras are reliable and work for years (I've owned many), and generally take the approach of giving the users as much as possible, and let them decide what they want to do with the gear. They're complicated, yes, but if one masters the interface they work exactly as one wants to, and not in the way that some guy in Tokyo decided it has to be.

But anyway, the R6 seems to be finally more or less free from crippling. That is the kind of product that most of us have expected from Canon for years. Let's see if it's not too late to solidify RF's position in the market, though.
I have never shot the Panasonic. The sonys suck balls. At least they sucked balls up untill the A7r4 and the A9. You don't develop a reputation of constantly overheating or just randomly shutting off if you don't do those things. And holding on to them is an incredibly unpleasant experience. The Olys are also fairly poor ergonomically but they do off the true advantage of being small(except for the EM1) so it is an acceptable compromise. Nikon are pretty good. I don't like the layout on the back but overall they make comfy cameras. I have listened to way too many people complain about their fancy sonys to ever buy one. I have seen them fail right next to me in the heavy mist of a waterfall FFS

Upvote 0
Comparison of feature differences for R5 vs R6 (differences only):

APPEARANCE AND CAMERA CONTROLS
R5: PC terminal

IMAGE SENSOR
R5: Effective pixels (max. approx. megapixels) 45.0
R6: Effective pixels (max. approx. megapixels) 20.1

STILL PHOTO RECORDING
R5: Maximum burst RAW SD card: 66 CFexpress card: 180
JPEG Large / Fine SD card: 190 CFexpress card: 350
R6: Maximum burst RAW Standard card 110 High-speed card 240
JPEG Large / Fine Standard card 110 High-speed card 240
R5: Possible shots (at 23°C / 73°F, Screen, Smooth) 320
R6: Possible shots (at 23°C / 73°F, Screen, Smooth) 360

MOVIE RECORDING
R5: Movie recording size 8K DCI / UHD
R5: Movie recording size 4K High Frame Rate (119.88 / 100.00)
R5: Movie recording size 4K DCI 59.94, 29.97, 24.00, 23.98/50.00, 25.00, 24.00
R5: Movie recording size RAW movies
R5: Movie recording size 4K HQ mode movies

R5: Time-lapse movies 8K / 4K / Full HD
R6: Time-lapse movies 4K / Full HD

R5: Canon Log P / Tv / Av / M
R6: Canon Log Movie auto exposure Movie manual exposure

R5: Built-in microphone Monaural
R6: Built-in microphone Stereo

VIEWFINDER
R5: Dot count (approx.) 5.76 million dots
R6: Dot count (approx.) 3.69 million dots

MONITOR
R5: Dot count (approx.) 2.1 million dots
R6: Dot count (approx.) 1.62 million dots

AUTOFOCUS
R5: Focusing brightness range: Stills: EV –6 to 20
R6: Focusing brightness range: Stills: EV –6.5 to 20
R5: Focusing brightness range: Movies: 8K: EV -3 to 20 4K/Full HD: EV -4 to 20
R6: Focusing brightness range: Movies: EV –5 to 20

EXPOSURE CONTROL
R5: Movie A+ / P / Tv / Av / M / C1 / C2 / C3
R6: Movie A+*/Movie auto exposure/Movie manual exposure *Movie recordingis possible in A+ mode by pressing the movie shooting button.
R5: ISO Stills: Normal 100–51200
R6: ISO Stills: Normal 100–102400
R5: ISO Stills: Hi speed expansion 102400
R6: ISO Stills: Hi speed expansion 204800
R5: ISO Movies: Hi speed expansion 51200
R6: ISO Movies: Hi speed expansion 204800

IMAGE PROCESSING AFTER SHOOTING
R5: DPRAW processing (portrait relighting, background clarity)
R5: HEIF→JPEG conversion 8K/4K
R6: HEIF→JPEG conversion Yes
R5: Voice memo
R6: Frame grab

EXTERNAL INTERFACE
R5: Wireless File Transmitter support

WIRELESS COMMUNICATION
R5: 5 GHz Wi-Fi support

RECORDING MEDIA
R5: CFexpress card / SD,SDHC, SDXC memory cards
R6: SD, SDHC, SDXC memory cards

DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHT
R5: 138.5 x 97.5 x 88.0
R6: 138.4 x 97.5 x 88.4
R5: Weight 738g
R6: Weight 680g

Don't forget to add the feature that creates a SHUT DOWN from OVERHEATING at even 4K30!!!! WTF???

"Once overheated, the EOS R5 can only go for a further 3 minutes in 8K even if left powered off for quite a while – 10 minutes."

" A subsequent second clip after 30 minutes in 4K/60p is limited to 5 minutes. After that, the dreaded overheating warning prevents any further recording."

Upvote 0

Kharan

R6, RP, bunch of lenses
Nov 9, 2018
I guess I look at it as an actual user and not a spec warrior. Canons competition has up until recently offered steaming piles of barely functional Rhino s@#t(but geez they had great specs) that are uncomfortable to hold onto and would likely fail in challenging conditions(except for Nikon obviously, they have always had pretty good gear). Canon has always offered stuff that WORKS. Sonys AMAZING sensors were useless when the camera decided for no good reason to go on a bloody break. It is only in the last generation that Sony have been able to offer a decent camera body that has SOME level of comfort and seems to be reliable. I think I will stick with the company that actually cares about offering a quality product. At least, quality as I see it. In the hand and not on paper

It seems that Canon have embraced the Sony "barely functional Rhino s@#t(but geez they had great specs) that... would likely fail in challenging conditions" way of thinking :ROFLMAO:
The R5 overheats in 8K. Which is obvious, as it as no active cooling, but still, I'm glad that Canon have left their crippling ways behind. I'd rather have cutting-edge features, even if not completely perfected, than products that only deliver 80% of their potential.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Lots of Youtuber's that don't have the cameras in their hands making 'reviews'. OT: The R6 is temping if it only had at least one CFE slot, I don't have SD cards and won't be spending crazy money on them for what they are. But that buffer is still pretty solid so it will be a go to camera for a lot of people I am sure and the sensor is a cracker if it is the 1DX3 sensor.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
It seems that Canon have embraced the Sony "barely functional Rhino s@#t(but geez they had great specs) that... would likely fail in challenging conditions" way of thinking :ROFLMAO:
The R5 overheats in 8K. Which is obvious, as it as no active cooling, but still, I'm glad that Canon have left their crippling ways behind. I'd rather have cutting-edge features, even if not completely perfected, than products that only deliver 80% of their potential.
Sonys stopped working for far more reasons than overheating. And the overheating was not because of 8k. When it did heat doing video it was because of lower quality video and was not aknowledged or warned about. People found out the hard way. Canon have pushed the envelope. They have been straight up about it they are therefore NOT claiming it can do something it cant. . And they have still managed 20min at 8k. That is phenomenal.. not that i would care as i never do video anyway. Now IF it does not last as long as claimed. IF it claps out at a few minutes of recording then I will agree with you.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Going through this thread so many people complaining about so little. The difference between the 6D MKII and the R6 is vast. Sure its 4MP less but your never see the difference because the image will be cleaner due to the newer sensor and processing. Comparing it to the EOS R is a red herring. Comparing it to the R5 is a red herring.
I will be buying this camera to replace my 6D MKII, I will be buying the R5 to replace my 5DS. The EOS R will become my back-up, the DSLRs will be sold along with some of the EF lenses (not selling the EF 85mm f1.4L IS USM or the EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L MKII).
Well done Canon.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Going through this thread so many people complaining about so little. The difference between the 6D MKII and the R6 is vast. Sure its 4MP less but your never see the difference because the image will be cleaner due to the newer sensor and processing.
But... but... It's actually 6 MP less! DOOMED! :ROFLMAO:

What I like about the R6 is that it seems very well rounded. As far as what we know currently, it has a enough specs from the top models to make it seem like a great value.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
But... but... It's actually 6 MP less! DOOMED! :ROFLMAO:

What I like about the R6 is that it seems very well rounded. As far as what we know currently, it has a enough specs from the top models to make it seem like a great value.

My ideal would be an R5.5 with about 30-35 MP priced halfway between the two. The R6 pixel count won't satisfy me, certainly not for that price, so the R5 it is. (My fallback was the RP--yeah, not an exciting resolution, but so inexpensive it doesn't matter. Heck, I might still pick one up as a backup. Since it takes the same batteries as my T6i and M6-II I wouldn't even need to buy a spare battery for it.) It'll be painful for a while but long after I've forgotten the money and returned to a non-Ramen-based diet, I think I'll be using a wonderful piece of equipment.

Upvote 0