Here are SIGMA’s three new full-frame mirrorless camera lenses

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
SIGMA is getting ready to announce three new lenses for the Leica SL and Sony FE full-frame lens mounts. There are rumours these lenses will also be announced for Canon’s RF mount, but we haven’t seen solid confirmation for that as of yet.

SIGMA will be announcing the following lenses shortly.

SIGMA 35mm f/1.2 DG HSM (Shipping July 26, 2019)
SIGMA 45mm f/2.8 DG HSM (Shipping July 26, 2019)
SIGMA 12-24mm f/2.8 DG HSM (Shipping late August 2019)

sigma-1-168x168.jpg

sigma_1-1-168x168.jpg

sigma_1-168x168.jpg

sigma_2-168x168.jpg

sigma_4-168x168.jpg

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I'm definitely not thrilled about the aperture rings.

Does the Leica mount still have a mechanical linkage: It looks like there is a flippy lever on the back of the lenses which would answer why the aperture rings for the Leica at least. Otherwise no real reason for them for canon at least as that is controlled by the camera or multifunction control ring.
Who knows.

Upvote 0

dlmartin81

EOS R
Sep 1, 2018
Why? I'm not being snarky; just curious.

I think it's a good thing. Coming from someone whose been using the Control Ring (CR) adaptor, I would be bummed to loose the ability to control part of the Exposure Triangle on the lens barrel. I currently have the CR set to control the ISO, but I could easily get used to mapping it to the rear thumb dial given that the Sigma lenses have dedicated aperture rings (small compromise). This makes the Sigma lens even more attractive to me!

Another observation: I wonder if all the Art series lenses will have the AFL button - just below the AF switch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sony Alpha Rumors is reporting a $600 price for the 45mm 2.8... And people call Canon lenses expensive! That's ridiculous for an f2.8 normal lens.
It's not exactly a $600 price, it's a ¥64,800 Japanese price, with the 8% Japanese VAT included, the dollar conversion of which gives $600.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
It's not exactly a $600 price, it's a ¥64,800 Japanese price, with the 8% Japanese VAT included, the dollar conversion of which gives $600.

OK, so say the US MSRP is $550 or even less.

The exact price isn't the issue. If Canon took the EF 40mm f2.8 STM (currently available for $179), changed it to RF mount, added a control ring (in lieu of Sigma's aperture ring) and sold it for $499 people would lose their shit. Presumably Sigma's optical formula is better, but it's still a physically small lens with relatively small aperture.

The RF 35mm f1.8 IS Macro is only $499, and if history is any indication we should eventually see an RF 50mm 1.8 for a lot cheaper. I don't see how Sigma's lens fits into reality (possibly unless it's a Cine lens as I saw one person speculate, but I haven't heard any real evidence for that)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
OK, so say the US MSRP is $550 or even less.

The exact price isn't the issue. If Canon took the EF 40mm f2.8 STM (currently available for $179), changed it to RF mount, added a control ring (in lieu of Sigma's aperture ring) and sold it for $499 people would lose their shit. Presumably Sigma's optical formula is better, but it's still a physically small lens with relatively small aperture.

The RF 35mm f1.8 IS Macro is only $499, and if history is any indication we should eventually see an RF 50mm 1.8 for a lot cheaper. I don't see how Sigma's lens fits into reality (possibly unless it's a Cine lens as I saw one person speculate, but I haven't heard any real evidence for that)

From all we know about the recent Sigma lenses, the build quality will be quite a bit higher than the RF 35mm. And from the pictures you can tell, that there is at least a rubber gasket around the lens mount.
Then there is the fact, that these lenses are announced for the E- and L-mount today. The RF version will most likely come next year. So you're better off just buying the Canon lens, if you need it right now.

Upvote 0