Here Are Some Claimed Specifications For One of the Prototype Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras [C

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Re: Here Are Some Claimed Specifications For One of the Prototype Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Camera

ahsanford said:
dhachey77 said:
63 AF points! Is that a joke?

That's why I think this is off. Who says it has 'AF controls like a 61 point AF predecessor'?

It would say:

X# of AF points
Touchscreen AF pt selection like the 5D4

Also, it will have a s---ton more AF points than 61 because it's DPAF!

They may discrete-ize (discretize?) the points into something easy to select with a joystick, but there will be a ton of AF points. At B&H, the M5 and M6 didn't publish their AF pt numbers, but the mid-level crop M50 lists 143/99 depending on contrast vs. phase detect. Expect no less from a much pricier FF rig.

Again: not buying this rumor.

- A

Perhaps not.

First of all, there's a question of selectable AF points. Even if you have millions of data points for creating focus with DPAF, the camera will only offer you so many to choose from.

Secondly, just because it's a mirrorless doesn't mean that it can't have PDAF. We could potentially be looking at a hybrid system, like Sony, where there is PDAF and DPAF operating simultaneously, as they do with PDAF and Contrast Detection.

Is DPAF superior to PDAF for autofocusing on every type of subject? I don't know this for a fact, because I really don't use DPAF enough on a DSLR, and I down own a Canon EVF camera. But even so, comparing an M5 to a 5D wouldn't be fair.

In the Sony world, the PDAF is used for fast autofocus; the CDAF is used or needed for a lot of the "advanced" features. It's one of the odd paradoxes of using an adapted lens through Metabones: you have your choice of using PDAF and getting usable autofocus minus all of the cool features ("Green" mode), or getting all of the cool features but having AF that's horrendously slow ("Advanced" mode).

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Re: Here Are Some Claimed Specifications For One of the Prototype Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Camera

Also, does anyone have any tabulated fps in LiveView with AF working for the various DPAF FF cameras? I went to Imaging Resource for their burst testing, and though they are thorough with the JPG vs. RAW vs. JPG + RAW, etc. they don't tabulate DPAF vs. OVF-based work or get into AF impact of burst speed.

I've also seen the 16 fps 1DX2 demonstrations on YouTube, but I haven't seen the DPAF AF confirmation on the screen when they did it.

The sensor/CPU sans AF can clearly reel in a camera's published fps or that fps would never be possible. But I'm curious if doing the DPAF heavy lift in FF limits the frame rate. I found a Rudy Winston Canon 5D4 video that seemed to imply that 7 fps through the OVF becomes 4.3 fps w/DPAF.

But on the other hand, we're getting peppy DPAF fps from the M50, M5, etc.

So, how realistic is 10 fps DPAF performance on a (guessing) 30 MP FF sensor?

- A

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist said:
bellorusso said:
Sounds worse than what Sony offers. Canon is not trying very much to catch up.

That's because Canon is not behind.

Then tell us, where is the Canons - full frame mirrorless? More then that behind, canon cant be.

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague

Well, all I basically wanted was 6D form factor with better sensor, kick-ass EVF and EF mount. But I fear for the price. This will be north of 3500 USD I'm afraid. All those measurebators, who compare cameras using paper spec-sheets will be all over this, when A7III costs "just" 2000 USD.

Upvote 0

Khalai said:
Well, all I basically wanted was 6D form factor with better sensor, kick-ass EVF and EF mount. But I fear for the price. This will be north of 3500 USD I'm afraid. All those measurebators, who compare cameras using paper spec-sheets will be all over this, when A7III costs "just" 2000 USD.

Yes, but it's a Canon!
In all seriousness, who in their right mind would ditch all their big whites and various assortments of Canon FF lenses and jump ship over a few extra dollars?If you're going to go, go big. :)

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC

KeithBreazeal said:
Khalai said:

Yes, but it's a Canon!
In all seriousness, who in their right mind would ditch all their big whites and various assortments of Canon FF lenses and jump ship over a few extra dollars?If you're going to go, go big. :)

Yeah!

I'm puzzled by the market for a $2000 body, if there's a clearly superior $3,000 alternative, because the camera body doesn't exist in a vacuum. Once you add in the price of all the other stuff, the $1,000 seems insignificant. Never mind thousands of dollars in lenses, it gets eaten up just in accessories like L plates and grips. But I guess that's just me.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

My gut stills says that they start modestly and scoop up enthusiasts with a solid but not incendiary offering: a 6D2 + EVF + (modest) 4K + better sensor.

Charge a tasty premium over the 6D2 for the newer sensor / 4K / first Canon FF mirrorless, say $2499 or so, and call it good.

Then they can make a proper mirrorless 5D.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

Talys said:
KeithBreazeal said:
Yes, but it's a Canon!

Yeah!

I'm puzzled by the market for a $2000 body, if there's a clearly superior $3,000 alternative, because the camera body doesn't exist in a vacuum. Once you add in the price of all the other stuff, the $1,000 seems insignificant. Never mind thousands of dollars in lenses, it gets eaten up just in accessories like L plates and grips. But I guess that's just me.

You're both talking like either established professionals or enthusiasts with good money committed to your love of photography.

But a budding professional sees a $2K beast of an A7III and says "This does how much more than a 5D4 *and* its cheaper? Take my money!"

I'm not saying that's a wise move or that the potential of the A7III's spec sheet will be realized in their hands, but I would not be so quick so dismiss how important the A7III may turn out to be -- a fully-featured FF rig at an enthusiast FF price point is nothing to disregard.

Outside of friendly confines here at CR, the buzz is deafening for that A7III as a potential market changer for Sony.

- A

Upvote 0

CafferyPhoto

Commercial photog
CR Pro
Mar 28, 2017
Washington State
cafferyphoto.com

Man, this group of commenters sound like a group of people who have had their hopes crushed time and time again only to be promised something outstanding one more time. I'm still holding hope, It'll be a great camera when it comes out... sometime.

I'm putting in my prediction for the moniker "5DM"

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com

KeithBreazeal said:
Khalai said:
who in their right mind would ditch all their big whites

Many people are crazy and not always rational. ;)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

CafferyPhoto said:
Man, this group of commenters sound like a group of people who have had their hopes crushed time and time again only to be promised something outstanding one more time. I'm still holding hope, It'll be a great camera when it comes out... sometime.

No no -- it will be a great camera, don't get us wrong. It just won't have a white hot spec sheet. Disregarding the 1-series, which is not a normal platform by any means, Canon doesn't do eye-popping spec sheet bodies any longer. But it will work brilliantly, I'm sure.

...and this dismays the partisan, beat-on-their-chest 'my camera is better than yours' people. Or people whose self-worth is reinforced by the 'bestness'/greatness of their purchases. Canon is simply not for people like that.

- A

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC

ahsanford said:
You're both talking like either established professionals or enthusiasts with good money committed to your love of photography.

But a budding professional sees a $2K beast of an A7III and says "This does how much more than a 5D4 *and* its cheaper? Take my money!"

I'm not saying that's a wise move or that the potential of the A7III's spec sheet will be realized in their hands, but I would not be so quick so dismiss how important the A7III may turn out to be -- a fully-featured FF rig at an enthusiast FF price point is nothing to disregard.

Outside of friendly confines here at CR, the buzz is deafening for that A7III as a potential market changer for Sony.

- A

I wasn't taking issue with the A7III or A7RIII's value proposition versus Canon, there; more so, that the budding professional photographer needs to spend $10,000, so it's a difference between $10k and $9k -- so if you're going to go in, go all in. That's especially true in the Sony world where all the GM lenses are scary expensive.

The ONLY reason I bought a 6DII and did not buy a 5DIV is because the 5DIV doesn't have an articulating (or even flip down) screen, and I absolutely need one for my work. It's that or a step ladder.

But in the case of A73 vs A7R3, the A7R3 is better in pretty much every single way, with the big plus that crop mode is 18 megapixels, which is quite usable. The A73 also doesn't come with a battery charger, which is some stupid price if you want to buy one from Sony instead of use a cheap Chinese knockoff that might burn your house down. Or, you charge it through the USB-C port, hehe.

Ironically, the buzz that I hear at places like camera shops is that the A7iii kills the market for used A7Rii :D

I can't speak for others, but more than once, I have made poor decisions by minimizing the total package price in my mind, and then later wishing I could go back and remake that decision. The Sony version of this would be to buy an A7iii and a kit lens as a budding pro, and then within months dwarf that purchase with a GM lens for portrait, a GM intermediate 2.8 zoom, and a GM walkaround... then a bunch of lighting... and wish that you had just purchased an A7Riii instead.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

CafferyPhoto said:

Case in point to my last post: can you tell me the last time people here lost their minds over the announcement of a new body?

Perhaps the M5 finally getting an EVF + DPAF? And that was more about something long overdue / stumbling slowly towards market parity than legitimately firing people up that a new body would be gangbusters.

I love Canon gear and I'm not going anywhere, but sexy spec-per-dollar offerings engineered to get young men to pull out their credit cards are simply not what they do.

- A

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague

ahsanford said:

- A

To be completely honest, that A7III really made me thinking as well. I mean, on paper, those specs are truly droolworthy, considering 2K USD price tag. But Sony (and Batis and Loxia) lenses are anything but cheap. So I'd have to hassle with aftermarket EF-E adaptor, which is always another point of error in the whole system. And considering that my 6D still serves me well as a non-professional photographer, I'm patiently waiting for Canon solution with Canon ergnonomics, Canon colour science and Canon reliability...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

canonic said:
neuroanatomist said:
bellorusso said:
Sounds worse than what Sony offers. Canon is not trying very much to catch up.

That's because Canon is not behind.

Then tell us, where is the Canons - full frame mirrorless? More then that behind, canon cant be.

Where are Sony's 600mm and 800mm lenses? They're soooooo behind.

Alternatively, it might be that what we personally think is important, isn't actually all that significant in the context of the overall ILC market. Just maybe.

Upvote 0

bgoyette

CR Pro
Feb 6, 2015

Sounds like fantasy to me. 4K60p? No way.. but bigger —C-Log 2? That would imply 10bit. Can’t see that happening. As others have said, if the source had true knowledge, the mount would have been the most obvious thing to mention. I’m calling fake.

Upvote 0