Here Are Some Claimed Specifications For One of the Prototype Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras [C

tmc784

Just press down the shutter.
Apr 1, 2018
Re: Here Are Some Claimed Specifications For One of the Prototype Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Camera

Canon Rumors said:
We’ve been receiving a lot of information lately about Canon’s upcoming full frame mirrorless camera, the following information is apparently about one of the prototype camera bodies currently being tested.</p>
<p><strong>Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Prototype Specifications:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Look & Feel: large grip with top LCD, very comfortable to hold; dials are very similar to those we found on the EOS 5D Mark IV.</li>
<li>Side articulating screen</li>
<li>Sensor: Upgraded version of the EOS 5D Mark IV sensor, obviously includes DPAF.</li>
<li>Frame rate: 10FPS</li>
<li>Silent shutter and 1/16000sec shutter speed is available</li>
<li>Focus control is very similar to EOS 5D Mark IV’s 61-pt AF system.</li>
<li>Dual SD card slots</li>
<li>Video Features: C-Log 1/2/3, Focus Guide</li>
<li>Formats available: 60p/30p/24p 4K (both DCI & UHD can be chosen).</li>
<li>FHD 120p</li>
<li>Weight: not very light, but similar to Sony A7 but a bit larger due to the big grip.</li>
</ul>
<p>The mount type remains the big omission from the information we continue to receive.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
How about IBIS ? and Native EF Mount ?[/b]

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Re: Here Are Some Claimed Specifications For One of the Prototype Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Camera

tmc784 said:
Canon Rumors said:
We’ve been receiving a lot of information lately about Canon’s upcoming full frame mirrorless camera, the following information is apparently about one of the prototype camera bodies currently being tested.</p>
<p><strong>Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Prototype Specifications:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Look & Feel: large grip with top LCD, very comfortable to hold; dials are very similar to those we found on the EOS 5D Mark IV.</li>
<li>Side articulating screen</li>
<li>Sensor: Upgraded version of the EOS 5D Mark IV sensor, obviously includes DPAF.</li>
<li>Frame rate: 10FPS</li>
<li>Silent shutter and 1/16000sec shutter speed is available</li>
<li>Focus control is very similar to EOS 5D Mark IV’s 61-pt AF system.</li>
<li>Dual SD card slots</li>
<li>Video Features: C-Log 1/2/3, Focus Guide</li>
<li>Formats available: 60p/30p/24p 4K (both DCI & UHD can be chosen).</li>
<li>FHD 120p</li>
<li>Weight: not very light, but similar to Sony A7 but a bit larger due to the big grip.</li>
</ul>
<p>The mount type remains the big omission from the information we continue to receive.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
How about IBIS ? and Native EF Mount ?[/b]

Holy first post, Batman

Upvote 0

Specs sounds interesting. More relevant than the mount-topic before.
It sounds more to me, that they focus the build a competitor camera to the Leica Q - shutter speed is the same. ISO would be interesting as well. Waiting for a picture of the back. Think they will use an EVF.

http://uk.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-Q/LEICA-Q?/switchlanguage/to/corposite_eng_gb/135655

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010

Canon Rumors said:
Focus control is very similar to EOS 5D Mark IV’s 61-pt AF system.

This one is weird. On the M5, Canon has demonstrated the best way to control DPAF on a MILC is through a touchscreen. It's bizarre that they'll return to the joystick configuration.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010

Woody said:
Canon Rumors said:

This one is weird. On the M5, Canon has demonstrated the best way to control DPAF on a MILC is through a touchscreen. It's bizarre that they'll return to the joystick configuration.

You’ll look weirder sticking your finger in the VF ::)

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC

Woody said:
Canon Rumors said:

I may be in the minority, but I prefer the joystick.

Either way, though, on a body the width of a 5D, it doesn't much make sense to use the touchscreen for focus point selection, because you can't quite reach your thumb over there.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

*sigh* In the meantime I'll just keep slogging along with the 5D Mark III I still haven't mastered, the lighting I haven't mastered, and the composition I haven't mastered. *sigh*

All this makes me happy I've decided to stay one or two generations behind as far as bodies go. Maybe even more. I know there are pros who say they have to have the latest to compete, but I can't help but think there are many pros and enthusiasts out there laughing when they read such claims.

Nothing in a new body or lens is going to make me a better "photographer". Sometimes all the weeping and wailing about Canon supposedly not keeping up just starts sounding of irrational hysterics. The tech is advancing rapidly. It isn't Canon or Nikon or Sony that must keep up with each other. Sometimes we've got to step back and just admit that we, ourselves, can't keep up with the tech. That the cameras and the "art" side of things are beyond our own capabilities.

I'm, admittedly, a below average photographer with great tools. The tools are wonderful. What would be even better would be to have the mind to compose and light in a way that wows viewers. I think most of us would have to admit that we can't do that. We just can't. If we could we would. So the hardware spec sheets don't matter so much. It is the spec sheet of our own minds that matters most. One must master that before the hardware spec sheet makes much difference.

I get more excited about new "L" lens rumors.

That said, "Go Canon! Go Rams!!!"

Upvote 0

CanonFanBoy said:
... I know there are pros who say they have to have the latest to compete, but I can't help but think there are many pros and enthusiasts out there laughing when they read such claims.

Nothing in a new body or lens is going to make me a better "photographer".

This is the very embodiment of dpreview. They over-emphasize technical specs and yet their sample galleries are amateur level at best.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC

woodman411 said:
CanonFanBoy said:
... I know there are pros who say they have to have the latest to compete, but I can't help but think there are many pros and enthusiasts out there laughing when they read such claims.

This is the very embodiment of dpreview. They over-emphasize technical specs and yet their sample galleries are amateur level at best.

Photography isn't really an easy hobby. It looks easy and sounds easy (just point it and click the button, right?), but it isn't, and a lot of people who buy a camera are disappointed that their photos on their $1,000 camera kit don't look anything like professional photographs. Far from it... they look worse than their smartphone photos.

A big chunk of that problem of why DSLR photos don't look even acceptable is because they looked ok through the optical viewfinder, but the way the light is captured is... something else. With a mirrorless, that curve can be less painful, because you can see it in preview before you press the shutter, so you're much less likely to totally botch exposure.

It's the same reason (some) people love TTL flashes, versus bouncing off some surface or reflector and manually adjusting exposure. It's easier.

But at the end of the day, if you want amazing photographs, you'll need to learn all those skills anyways -- understand light, learn the basics of composition, learn your gear, and learn from mistakes. I think that there is a market for cameras where people want to take decent photographs, and perhaps photography gear enthusiasts, without wanting to engage in the hobby of photography.

To their credit, Sony has just done an amazing job of convincing those people that what they really want is a very expensive full frame camera, something that was pretty much unimaginable a decade ago. "This camera is SO amazing that you won't have to use a flash -- you know, that awful thing that's blowing out all your baby photos!"

That's not to say there isn't goods stuff for pros, though. For example, I've noticed that many professionals or serious enthusiasts who have tried Sony A7R3 say that one the features that they love most is focus magnification with manual focus, and I agree. It's amazingly useful, even if the implementation on Sony is awkward (because you can't grab a focus by wire lens and MF if you're in AF mode, at least not without pressing a button every time).

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

woodman411 said:
CanonFanBoy said:

It's not that -- many of DPR's writers are not working professional photographers from what I understand. It's effectively a team of enthusiasts and gearheads -- if Engadget or Wired just did cameras (if you will). That said, I believe there are a few pros either there or associated with them, but they certainly don't seem to be the prevailing voice.

But in fairness to them, DPR often gets 1-2 hours of time with a rig at a pre-release (or day of release) sort of event. So I actually give them some small props for doing their damnedest to getting cards into new bodies and broadcasting what they find. But they're clearly obsessive about sensors and their commentary reflects a wildly imbalanced set of photographic priorities IMHO, so they'll never replace what the Dustins / Carnathans / Cicalas / Shake & Bakes of the photography world do.

The Phoblographer is a similar enthusiast-fueled setup at DPR (Chris Gampat worked at B&H or Adorama I want to say, Anthony's a working boudoir guy out of Portland), but they are quite different in terms of what they do. That site is more about giving visibility to what's out there, the enjoyment of noodling around with a jillion products, etc. They are much more about personal hot takes and sharing their user experience than they are at rendering judgments or giving hyper-granular scores. Chris tends to be more heart-on-sleeve opinionated than biased, IMHO -- passion about gear is a forgivable vice to me, and I appreciate what that site does.

Also recommend SLRLounge, which is (to my knowledge) almost entirely working pros with a very different take on things than either blow by blow reviews or test scores. They care about gear, surely, but they also get into workflow, running a business, working with clients, developing skill sets, etc. As an enthusiast, I've found them to provide an interesting perspective.

- A

Upvote 0

It's so painfully obvious when folks posting here haven't used a Sony A9 or A7RIII (or A7III - but few have).
It's also painfully obvious when someone is anxious over the very notion that something may exist outside of their current setup which would actually serve them better (even if it actually wouldn't).
Here's a CR3 for y'all... Canon will not change their ethos when diving into mirrorless FF. They won't suddenly lead the pack with technology. They won't cram every conceivable feature into the cameras and charge what seems like a crazy-low price for it. They'll also market the benefits of their decision making as best as they possibly can (in other words, they'd never pull a Sony and call something like the A7III "entry level" - which, if you weren't paying attention that's exactly what Sony called it).

My personal belief is that Canon will change the mount for their FF MILC to something like the EF-M mount and they will sing the praises of an adapter as well as the fact that they offer their consumers options.

Also, based on my personal experience with the M, M5, 8 Canon DSLR (XSi through 5D Mark IV), A7RII, A7RIII, and A9, Canon needs a joystick on their FF MILC. And it needs to function like Sony's where the box moves quickly if the joystick is held down.

Also, those saying $1000 is trivial are right and wrong. It's consumer dependent. I will say that in my switch to Sony, cost wasn't a factor. I bought what I wanted. Others will certainly care.

Finally, if you intend to use a Sony A9, A7RIII, A7III, or Canon FF MILC (assuming it's in the level of the aforementioned Sony's -and I don't believe it will be) like a Canon DSLR, you're doing it wrong. Start fresh. Learn the system. Learn the options. Re-evaluate your lens needs. For example, I was a back-button AF, single point AF guy who relied on a 70-200 f/2.8L IS II during weddings. Now, I alternate between single point flexible AF and wide area AF. I still use a back button for focus but it's for eye AF focus. I don't even own a 70-200 and instead I use the Batis 135 (with a 35, 55, or 85 on the other camera) and because I have AF points all over, I rarely need to crop my images for composition. There are a lot of other differences in the way I shoot now but the last one I will share is that I now take a lot fewer images. I never worry about the focus accuracy of my images whereas before I did, even with extensive afma. I also don't worry about exposure (chimping) either.

Now, it's quite possible that literally none of the differences that mirrorless offers would be advantageous to YOU. In fact, those differences may hinder you. I'm not one of those people who believes that mirrorless is the solution for everyone. But I also absolutely believe that there are differences and those differences can be important.

Knowing Canon, I could see them releasing a FF MILC in the spirit of the 6D Mark II (truly uninspiring and class-leading basically nowhere) but hopefully, they learned that lesson and bring something respectable or maybe even impressive to market.

Oh, for those who think current generation DPAF is as good as the AF Sony offers, you're delusional. I'm not saying DPAF can't possibly keep up, I'm saying they need to throw a buttload more processing power behind it. I was using the M5 side by side with the A7RIII for the past week (family cruise) and I was so frustrated with the M5 whereas the A7RIII just worked!

This is way longer than I intended. So I'll sign off :)

*Typed on a phone, forgive any typing errors, please

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011

definitely and clearly a fake rumor.

@CR guy why do you even bother to spread this cr+p?

If the source was close enough to such a prototype camera to note all the "specs" listed, then they should also have noted what kind of lens mount/lens was on it.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

Talys said:
woodman411 said:
CanonFanBoy said:

Photography isn't really an easy hobby. It looks easy and sounds easy (just point it and click the button, right?), but it isn't, and a lot of people who buy a camera are disappointed that their photos on their $1,000 camera kit don't look anything like professional photographs. Far from it... they look worse than their smartphone photos.

A big chunk of that problem of why DSLR photos don't look even acceptable is because they looked ok through the optical viewfinder, but the way the light is captured is... something else. With a mirrorless, that curve can be less painful, because you can see it in preview before you press the shutter, so you're much less likely to totally botch exposure.

I don't know about mirrorless leading the way here. I've been shooting in manual and checking myself with "live view" for years and years. Maybe mirrorless does better job. I'd have no idea.

In my opinion, the camera isn't the weak link. The person pressing the shutter is.

My point was that people place too much emphasis on this or that spec on the sheet while not really even being interested in the mind side of things at all. They want the camera to do it all for them. All of it. When the camera doesn't deliver what their own brain can't figure out then the solution must be the next camera with a better spec sheet.

I've looked at many thousands and thousands of portrait and wedding photos to try and figure out how to light, pose, etc. For all the wailing about how there is nothing revolutionary about the cameras, I see far too many photos that look exactly like all the rest. There are very few artists out there and millions of copycats. No camera is a substitute for genius and creativity.

Can't compete with the pro gear you have? Try taking better pro level photos with some unique qualities. It isn't really the gear that makes one stand out. It is what is produced with the gear. If I were planning on getting married next year I could pretty much flip a coin as to which wedding photographer to pick in a given price range. They are all about the same. Same poses, same ideas, same locations, same lighting... nothing really different to give each their own creative edge. Nothing. It's like looking through the Sears Roebuck catalogue.

The real deal? The truly creative? They make the big bucks. The rest are left fighting over the same biscuit and wondering why their gear can't compete. TRUTH: It Isn't The Gear!

I'm reminded of a post I read on a guitar forum several years ago. Players were all up in arms saying that bar owners were stealing away their livelihoods with karaoke and open mic nights. They couldn't find work anymore. My thought was that if karaoke and open mic is stealing your work, then your work just isn't that good. The bar owners are trying to fill the bar to make money. If you ain't bringing in the crowds with your playing and singing... you ain't no got dang good! Especially when all you sing are somebody else's songs. It is obvious. Why should they pay you when the free stuff is more entertaining and sells more drinks?

When I hear how soccer moms giving away $35 sessions and doing weddings for $150 are a cancer on the industry, all I can say is, "You just ain't no good!" You are getting beaten by the very people you say don't know what they are doing. Why should people pay you when Jill and her 450D is just as good and does it for free? Because you happen to exist so they owe you?

Same thing in this Canon vs Sony vs Nikon crap. If a spec sheet is gonna make you so upset that you've got to jump ship because you'll just not be able to compete otherwise... then you probably just ain't no good to begin with. If your selling point is, "I have a better camera than so and so." Instead of, "Here's my portfolio and the reason why you should pick me." Then you have a dire problem. You just ain't no good! If what you are shooting with, rather than what your output is, is most important to your clients... then you have to educate them. They have no idea what you should be shooting with. Even when they ask for it. Show them your work. If that doesn't sell you, but the camera body does... Then you just ain't no good!

Most of us have far better gear than our capabilities deserve. I know I do.

If a person looks at his own work and says, "This isn't a me problem, it's a tech problem..." Then that person just ain't no got dang good! They should try cooking and quit lying to themselves.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC

CanonFanBoy said:
TRUTH: It Isn't The Gear!

If a person looks at his own work and says, "This isn't a me problem, it's a tech problem..." Then that person just ain't no got dang good! Try cooking and quit lying to yourself.

I couldn't agree more.

All I was driving at is that there's a market for people who aren't really interested in the work required to improve their capabilities, who want the best possible better-than-smartphone picture, or, worse, the best possible theoretical picture that they'll never take. :)

It all reminds me of a Gizmodo article on the A7RII when it first came out. I remember the reviewer crowing about it, saying that the camera was like cheating, because every photo that came out of it was gorgeous no matter what he did. Then, looking at the sample gallery, I recall thinking, "Yes, every photo you've taken is a perfect example of how no amount of technology can fix a lame photograph."

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

Talys said:
CanonFanBoy said:
TRUTH: It Isn't The Gear!

If a person looks at his own work and says, "This isn't a me problem, it's a tech problem..." Then that person just ain't no got dang good! Try cooking and quit lying to yourself.

I couldn't agree more.

All I was driving at is that there's a market for people who aren't really interested in the work required to improve their capabilities, who want the best possible better-than-smartphone picture, or, worse, the best possible theoretical picture that they'll never take. :)

It all reminds me of a Gizmodo article on the A7RII when it first came out. I remember the reviewer crowing about it, saying that the camera was like cheating, because every photo that came out of it was gorgeous no matter what he did. Then, looking at the sample gallery, I recall thinking, "Yes, every photo you've taken is a perfect example of how no amount of technology can fix a lame photograph."

I think we are on the same wavelength. I hope you didn't think I was directing anything at all towards you. I didn't mean to give that impression if I did.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012

Talys said:
Most of us have far better gear than our capabilities deserve.

Personally, I tend to upgrade cameras to either open new possibilities (like when I went from 40D to 5D2; the latter opened up 135-format), or when a new one will likely improve my user experience (like when I went from 5D2 to 5D3, and 5D3 to 1Dx).

Upvote 0