Here are some images and pricing for the Canon EOS 90D

I like the specs. Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear to have the 3 custom settings on the mode dial, which I find so useful.
Look at the spec sheet in the attached PDF. All of those modes are there (and more). Accessible via the touch screen rather than the dial.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I think I would agree, but I am leery of grey market goods unless purchased from Costco with their automatic extended warranty.

I bought mine from Deals All Year when it was still $2k gray market. It was clearly brand new and the only "issue" is that I had to change the menu to English. For a couple hundred in savings I would go US Authorized but for $1,600 (now even more)? I took the risk. eBay and PayPal protect you in terms of the initial arrival (item as described), so at that point you're paying a lot for a 1 year warranty. And that's assuming Canon wouldn't just honor it any way.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
if its got more reliable AF than the 7DII then a bargain, but if it’s still 80D class AF, a poor subsitute for the 7DII.

It's missing the 'Single AF Point with 4 expansion points' and 'Single AF Point with 8 expansion points' AF point selection modes that the 80D is also missing. 9-point "Zone AF" is not the same. The former give priority to the single selected point and use the expansion points only when the selected point can not achieve AF. The latter gives equal weight to all nine AF points and will AF on the area of highest contrast within the entire AF area of the nine AF points.

It would need a shutter rating higher than the 100,000 rating of the 80D, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I like the specs. Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear to have the 3 custom settings on the mode dial, which I find so useful.

It has two, like Canon's other recent enthusiast bodies such as the 80D, 6D2, and M5/M6. For whatever reason, the RP is something of an exception with three custom modes.

BTW, anyone else really dig the diamond knurling on the dials of Canon's latest cameras? (And M and RF lenses too!) I think I could buy the 90D just because of that…

And speaking of really important features, the mode dial symbols now appear embossed rather than painted!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Look at the spec sheet in the attached PDF. All of those modes are there (and more). Accessible via the touch screen rather than the dial.

Where do you see that? Yes it has scenery modes, but I don't see any hints that more than the two custom modes found directly on dial (which is what AlanF refers to) should be available.

However I have always wondered why Canon wouldn't let us define a little "bank" of (custom named) custom modes we could quickly assign to a custom mode on dial when needed. So we where not limited by the number of custom modes on dial.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I like to have C1, C2 and C3 on the mode dial, as I wrote, so I can switch among them using muscle memory without taking the OVF away from my eye. If I have to take my eye off the subject and faff around with a touch screen then I can miss a shot.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2018
The announcement is on the 28th.
I also seem to remember 26th as the announcement day. On 28th, also Sony is announcing new camera's. Surely Canon would try to avoid announcing stuff on the same day as a competitor?

/edit: apparently, Sony will announce their camera's on 29th of august.

Last edited:
Upvote 0