Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

I was thinking about that "slider" on the back. There is no joystick and using LCD as touchpad is problematic if you have left eye dominating. What if that "slider" is fingerprintreader type of touchpad. You really don't need much height to it for moving focuspoint up and down. It detects how your finger moves on pad from changeing position of your fingerprint.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I think Canon will be in a very competitive position if this is their entry-level ($1,900) model. Even if it doesn't have the video recording FPS capabilities of the A7 III or the Nikon Z6, the 30MP sensor and DPAF will turn many heads at that price. But I'm curious as to what happened to the supposed 28MP full-frame camera we were hearing about. Is that one actually an M5 II?

Upvote 0
hehe. my guess is 2990,-

IF that is the price, I don't think Sony is doomed. A7III is sub 2k. 2k-ish or even $2400 is a really good place to be, for the prosumer market. Nikon Z6 is sub 2k.

As much as I want this camera, and to maintain my EF collection, I am not a pro and I don't spend 3k plus. I can get a used excellent condition a7rii for $1500, or a new a7rii or a7iii for $2k, and hold out for a "one day" future option Canon...maybe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
I think that the camera is well spec'd for a first Canon FF mirror less. As far as IBIS goes, sure I would like to see it, but I have heard that IBIS is not as good as IS in a lens. Still, it would be nice to have and I think at some point Canon will include it because most other camera companies will offer it. If the comparison to the 5DIV is correct in size, I like it. I own a 5DIV and like it, but as a travel photographer, I see it as my last DSLR, mainly due to weight with L lenses. It will be interesting to see how the sensor performs. As far as appearance go, I find it much more attractive than Nikon Z7/6 bodies. They are pretty ugly, but a camera is a tool, not a thing to look at or ogle over. It's job is to capture good images and with the new array of mirror less L lenses, I am sure that it will do just that.

Upvote 0
It seems that, once the shock and awe wears of just a tad (and to be certain, I am excited), the reality of price point sets in. That's really the question...where will it fall against it's competitors? There will be some "take my money" types, for whom there is no competition, and they've been waiting for years for this, but I think that that is a small market segment. In the real world, price matters, a lot, and especially to the "prosumer" market.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
It seems that, once the shock and awe wears of just a tad (and to be certain, I am excited), the reality of price point sets in. That's really the question...where will it fall against it's competitors? There will be some "take my money" types, for whom there is no competition, and they've been waiting for years for this, but I think that that is a small market segment. In the real world, price matters, a lot, and especially to the "prosumer" market.
Canon always seems to offer less for the money vs. its competitors. So, I would expect their 30MP mirrorless to be over the $2K price point. Unless all of the other specs just don't match the competition such as no IBIS, poor dynamic Range, bad 4K implementation, etc.. in which case they may price it similarly and hope the 30MP's sell it and distract from the other lacking areas.

Personally, I hope it is amazing in all aspects, even it costs more. It's worth paying for if the performance is there.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
I am thinking that Canon is considering the professional market with these new L lenses, even if this camera model is not the top tier model. Like so many, here, I have an investment in Canon lenses and have no intention of jumping ship. I have a feeling that Canon will likely bring back even Sony FF uses, if not for Canon ergonomics.

Upvote 0
Canon always seems to offer less for the money vs. its competitors. So, I would expect their 30MP mirrorless to be over the $2K price point. Unless all of the other specs just don't match the competition such as no IBIS, poor dynamic Range, bad 4K implementation, etc.. in which case they may price it similarly and hope the 30MP's sell it and distract from the other lacking areas.

Personally, I hope it is amazing in all aspects, even it costs more. It's worth paying for if the performance is there.

Actually, I agree. I WILL pay more because it is Canon...about $300-$400 more. But definitely not $500-$1400+ more. I understand that for a professional, this isn't as big of a deal, which is why I was commenting in reference to the prosumer market, and it seems to me that Canon would really want this to be a hit with the prosumer market.

Upvote 0
If you already have a lot of Canon glass, there are no real competitors in ff mirrorless. So as long as Canon is not overly greedy, they will get a lot of takers. Still will need to see real world hands on performance and hope there are no significant stumbles, but that is also true for the Z world. We know Sony and their foibles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
As far as I'm concerned, this looks like it will end up in my camera bag unless they screw up the video specs. It needs to at least match Sony/Nikon or I cannot buy it. I do too much video these days to justify having a new camera that doesn't perform in this regard. 4K, good codec, 10-bit, no crop/full sensor readout and 1080p 120 fps. This is basically the standard these days since its main competitors can do this.

Upvote 0
If you already have a lot of Canon glass, there are no real competitors. So as long as Canon is not overly greedy, they will get a lot of takers. Still will need to see real world hands on performance and hope there are no significant stumbles, but that is also true for the Z world. We know Sony and their foibles.

A lot of pros will pop one of these in the bag as a back up because of its light weight and small size

Upvote 0