Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

If you already have a lot of Canon glass, there are no real competitors. So as long as Canon is not overly greedy, they will get a lot of takers. Still will need to see real world hands on performance and hope there are no significant stumbles, but that is also true for the Z world. We know Sony and their foibles.

I think we agree. As long as Canon doesn't get too greedy...I'm in.

But the idea that if you have a lot of Canon glass, that there are no real competitors, has been thoroughly disproven my amateurs and professionals alike. For example, the one lens I simply cannot part with is the 17mm TSE...which I can run on a Sony, gaining dynamic range, smaller size, resolution, etc, at a lower price point (against current Canon options). Yes, it is still not a Canon, and my preference is to stay native, but there is a dollar amount I am simply not willing to spend.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
My SL-2 is 122mm X 92.6 mm X 69.8mm and 453g including battery and card. This is a bit wider and higher 136 X 98.

I do not have room for my fingers on the rear of the SL-2 and finger space on the front of the grip is poor, but the big issue is that my thump wants to hit the tough screen and move the focus point.

The extra 14mm might just make enough difference for it to fit my hand.

I am definitely interested in the ev -6 specification. I'm not interested in the new lenses except for the kit lens which does seem to make it a compact unit.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
I didn't see any comment on this, so...

The mount inner diameter is 54 mm, same as EF, and the pins seem to be located in the same place, with additional 4 pins (looking in 1 to the left, 3 to the right).

I wrote the mount might have shorter flange, but still EF, if expanded by additional pins. Looks like I just might be right, but too bad the flange distance difference is just shy of 25mm, so that extension tube wouldn't be an adapter between EF and R.

Upvote 0
I think we agree. As long as Canon doesn't get too greedy...I'm in.

But the idea that if you have a lot of Canon glass, that there are no real competitors, has been thoroughly disproven my amateurs and professionals alike. For example, the one lens I simply cannot part with is the 17mm TSE...which I can run on a Sony, gaining dynamic range, smaller size, resolution, etc, at a lower price point (against current Canon options). Yes, it is still not a Canon, and my preference is to stay native, but there is a dollar amount I am simply not willing to spend.
The new R camera may not cost much more than your 17mm t-s lens. Is that worth it to you?

Upvote 0
RF lenses focus the image at 20mm behind flange. EF mount cameras are much "thicker" [44mm from flange to sensor]. So it is physically not possible to use RF lenses on EF cameras.

But we can use EF lenses [44mm flange focal distance] on "slim" RF mount by adding a 24mm "extension tube" adapter to "bridge the gap".

It only works one way ... ;-)

Thanks, your explanation makes sense, however it makes mi think - imagine a wedding Photographer, who would like to have DSLR + MILC as a backup body. If lens - so expensive ones - go just one way, it is a bit limiting. You can't use new 28-70/2 on your 5DIV? Not nice .....

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Looks great, except for the inability to mount EF lenses without an adapter, which makes me sad panda. I'm not sure how the adapter is sexy :D Like everyone else, I think -6EV AF sounds downright amazing. Grip looks solid, and is it just me, or does the vertical height look taller than Nikon/Sony? That's one of my main complaints of the Sony's ergonomnics -- I really dislike the ungripped height.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Thanks, your explanation makes sense, however it makes mi think - imagine a wedding Photographer, who would like to have DSLR + MILC as a backup body. If lens - so expensive ones - go just one way, it is a bit limiting. You can't use new 28-70/2 on your 5DIV? Not nice .....

no big problem. In your example, the photog could either 1) put an RF lens, eg. 24-105 on the EOS R or 2) put the small EF-adapter on the camera and any EF lens from his lens park. :)

Upvote 0
The new R camera may not cost much more than your 17mm t-s lens. Is that worth it to you?

Yes, it is, absolutely.

Your "may not" statement implies uncertainty about what the price will be; I share your uncertainty. I'm not naysaying. All I'm really stating is, let's not pretend that price doesn't matter because "there are no competitors".

So yes, it's worth it to me to pay a bit more than my 17. I paid 2k or so for my 17. If the new "R" is 2k or thereabouts (up to $2500 or so) I WILL buy one based on what I see so far.

But if another camera can provide excellent results, superior in some measures and inferior in others, with quality build and support, and for a lower price, I'm not blind to that because I'm not a fanboy (not saying that you are). If there were a 17mm tse from another manufacturer that was (on the balance) equivalent, and cost 30% less, I would consider that too. In fact, I really can't justify Nikon for my purposes because the 19mm PC is $1000 more than the 17mm TSE...which is my whole point, actually.

Seriously, I'm excited about the camera. I'm just saying that price matters to 95% of consumers...ask anyone who has had a marketing class.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
no big problem. In your example, the photog could either 1) put an RF lens, eg. 24-105 on the EOS R or 2) put the small EF-adapter on the camera and any EF lens from his lens park. :)

Sure, and if EOS R breaks, you are finished, unless you have EF 24-70/2.8 in your arsenal too - that's twice the money :)

Upvote 0
Sure, and if EOS R breaks, you are finished, unless you have EF 24-70/2.8 in your arsenal too - that's twice the money :)
Lots of solutions. In transition, bring both since you probably already have the EF 24-70 f/2.8. Sooner or later you could sell the 24-70 and buy another EOS R with the money from the lens, and then sell the 5D4 and put cash in your pocket.

Upvote 0