Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Some of the small things I'm happy to see:
  • Backlight button right next to the top-side LCD. I hope that the back buttons will be illuminated too.
  • Fully-articulated screen. Definitely prefer the hinge for a flipscreen than those left side buttons- never liked those (review button right next to delete button... ugh).
  • Good old LP-E6(N). That's awesome!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Fleetie

Watching for pigs on the wing
Nov 22, 2010
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
Wow! I'm really surprised!
I like the magnesium body; my M5 feels plasticky, nowhere near as good as my much-more-expensive 5D3.
So this looks great.

And the lenses! They look great, too! And an RF 50/1.2 L?! And a smaller RF 24-105/4 L, too? And a 28-70/2?
I'm amazed!

If the RF lenses are given "L" status, that suggests to me that the body will be given full EOS firmware, not PowerShot firmware. We can hope.

I hope the quality of the EVF is up to scratch.

And does the RF 24-105/4 L have IS, or does the body have IBIS?

Exciting times! And I notice that the CR server is groaning under the load already! It's running very slow now!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Where are you seeing that?

Forgive me, missed that. Holy hell. -6?!

- A

That's never been done in a wide-release production camera, so far as I know. It needs 1/8th the light of the A7R3. Nuts.

More importantly, this could portend a great improvement in the sensor. Alternately, they might be fooling around with ideas like batching pixels on the sensor as AF points, etc. I would have said it looks like they're giving us the mirrorless 5D, but the 5D's AF tech never went to -6.

Notably absent: FPS... (bad sign). When the 7D2 came out, 10fps was the second thing mentioned.

Wonder if I have time to take pics of one of my 5D4s tonight to get an early listing out. It's unlikely to be worse fps than the 5D4, so I've nothing to lose.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Grip is smaller than I'd like (say Rebel sized) but thank goodness there is finger space for room between the grip and bigger lenses. A+ there, Sony and Nikon both ruined it there.

- A

In fact, the button layout in the back appears to borrow from the SL series. Which is a good thing if you're running a Canon in that small a size. Hope the buttons are not as plastic-y.

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
Spec list isn't complete yet. No mention of FPS or IBIS either.

Eye AF is a quirk of an AF system, not a topline spec anyway, isn't it?

- A

The M50 has Eye AF, so it's highly possible the EOS R will as well especially seeing as it should have the same Digic 8 (or new 8+) processor.

Upvote 0
I was under the impression from previous rumors posted here that Canon was releasing 2 FF mirrorless bodies, a smaller, lower megapixel and a larger, high megapixel? Has that rumor been discredited then since pictures have leaked of the EOS R and nothing else?

As much as I'm all for size, the EOS R looks really small.. rebel sized.. I was hoping for a slight profile reduction of the 5D since I actually like the grip size on the mark IV.

Upvote 0
Doesn't appear to have a joystick to move the focus points. I'm surprised they would leave that out.

Also, given those specs, does anyone else think this may be the "high-end" model? It almost sounds too good to be true for a $1900 camera from Canon.

Yeah, that's my guess as well. This appears to be a mirrorless 5d4

Upvote 0