Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
This is going to hurt Nikon. It will worry Sony but it will really hurt Nikon. That lens selection looks drool worthy given that we all know how quickly canon will be able to grow that range. And this is their consumer model. One can only imagine what the high end models will be like.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Yeah, that's my guess as well. This appears to be a mirrorless 5d4
I would imagine their higher end model with be competing resolution wise with the A7r3. So 45-50mp. Canon may just be pulling the proverbial rabbit out of a hat. They held back and held back despite incessant criticism. Perhaps they were just making sure they blew everyone away when they entered the market and if this is the prosumer sub 2k body then I think they may just do that.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Doesn't appear to have a joystick to move the focus points. I'm surprised they would leave that out.

Also, given those specs, does anyone else think this may be the "high-end" model? It almost sounds too good to be true for a $1900 camera from Canon.

The key cool feature for me for my m5 was the fact I could use my right thumb on the screen as the joystick. MUCH better than a physical joystick - which I use on a couple of 5d4s today.

That said, I think the button on top with the red dot might be a joystick - or at least some new form of control. It's not the shutter.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
The key cool feature for me for my m5 was the fact I could use my right thumb on the screen as the joystick. MUCH better than a physical joystick - which I use on a couple of 5d4s today.

That said, I think the button on top with the red dot might be a joystick - or at least some new form of control. It's not the shutter.
I thought the button with the red dot was just the record video button.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I was under the impression from previous rumors posted here that Canon was releasing 2 FF mirrorless bodies, a smaller, lower megapixel and a larger, high megapixel? Has that rumor been discredited then since pictures have leaked of the EOS R and nothing else?

As much as I'm all for size, the EOS R looks really small.. rebel sized.. I was hoping for a slight profile reduction of the 5D since I actually like the grip size on the mark IV.

Nothing said both would absolutely come at the same time. There will probably be another next year. What's confusing is that this is coming in at 30MP when rumors had two models at 24ish and 40+ish. This first release is kinda straddling the middle, so thinking the next one may even be the rumored 5DSR Mk II (mirrorless version) with a 50+ MP sensor.

Would Canon even want to release another super high res DSLR in a 5 body if they also plan to make a high res MILC that can also accommodate EF glass natively? Seems like there would be no room for both.

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
T

I believe that is the video record button :). My M10 has a similar button and allows for instant video recording regardless of what mode it's currently in.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
I believe that is the video record button :). My M10 has a similar button and allows for instant video recording regardless of what mode it's currently in.
Yea I think so too.

Also, what's that new looking button on the back right below the top LCD? it's a long thin button with some arrows? A direction pad for left/right? What would that be for?

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Is that an effective way to move the focus points? I haven't used any EOS M cameras.

Moving the AF points with the touch screen works great on the M5 - so hoping this camera will have it. It is the type of innovation that gets overlooked by the spec lovers. Not sexy, but it was a game changer for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Yea I think so too.

Also, what's that new looking button on the back right below the top LCD? it's along thin button with some arrows? A direction pad for left/right? What would that be for?
Curious isn't it? Unlike any button I have seen before.

Upvote 0