Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

Whats going on with the 100-400L II image? Is that the 2x TC stacked on one of the RF-EF adapters?

This thing is..... a pleasant surprise! -6EV?! That's night vision. Flip out screen?! NICE. It's actually a pretty small camera, but with a deep grip! New lens design language is a nice blend of sleek modern with some of the classic EF lens look.

30.3MP sensor... the 5D IV is listed at 30.4MP. Should be a new sensor then, right?

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Control wheel = RIP. Thought it might survive, but I guess the tilty-flippy needed some of that room.

Cards = Unknown. Looks SD sized, but how many = TBD

FPS unknown

IBIS unknown

- A

I'm thinking we gotta have IBIS here and while I'm hoping for Cfast2, I'm pretty sure I ain't gonna get it. I haven't used SD cards in a while, but if the newer ones can keep up with the read/write speeds, I'm good with that. I just prefer a more robust card (structurally) SD cards make me too nervous with their small size and generally flimsy nature

Upvote 0
Can we have:
- 4K60
- 10bit HLG (a way to record proper HDR)
- Dual SD UHS-II card slots
- Extremely Good IBIS
- Unlimted recording (nah 30min video limit is not ok (30min tax ends end of year in Europe anyway))

And stuff I'd like too but I never see anyone else ask about:
- H265 options for all framerates and resolutions (half bitrate, same quality, faster for YouTube 4K uploading)
- Wi-Fi multi-camera live editing on the touch-screen (for example you have any phone or a gopro like wifi camera pointing at yourself which you can switch to once in a while during the interview. Or switching to another Canon R camera during interview. Or switching among several cameras while live streaming sports or concert.)
- Wi-Fi and Type-C Ethernet and Type-C LTE dongles with bonding for reliable live streaming directly from camera
- Built-in wireless microphone receiving in camera. Whatever the wireless technology. Could also be wireless microphones that later sync the audio automatically over Type-C or over Wi-Fi direct in one-click with each audio track that can be adjusted in camera and video file saved.
- In-camera basic video editing. Use phone or tablet to have a larger UI when editing in-camera. Rendering the edits at faster than real-time.
- Type-C to SSD/HDD backups and live recording.
- 4x SD cards RAID in grip to expand storage and backup.

Last edited:
Upvote 0