Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I can't see canon charging 3k for a one sd card camera. They are very serious about making pro cameras that are pro grade. Given that you would have to see this as the prosumer model which SHOULD mean around 2k. Maybe a bit more but anything 3k or more would be 'pro' grade and would have 2 slots.(don't quote me on that as Nikon decided it wasn't necessary)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
The goods
-6EV AF
Fully articulating touch screen is really good
Has 3 dials just awesome
Top display got an upgrade - Tony Northrup will be happy finally ;)
Uses LP-E6N battery
dust proof
Drip-proof
Mic Jack
Headphone Jack

Drop in filter on the adapter is nice

Unknowns. This does not mean I am expecting all these in body even if it is $3.5k just listing out the unknowns
EVF resolution
Focus magnification while manual focus
ISO range may be 40K based on data on the top display. 40K should be good for
AF performance on the EF lenses
OLAF
SD UHS I or II
FPS
Will AE and AF work on burst mode
RAW Buffer
Electronic shutter
Flash sync speed
Total shots in a single charge
IBIS
4K30 or 60p
1080p60 or 120
4K crop?
C-log?
HDMI output specs
# of shots in one charge
Focus peaking
Zebras

Negatives
All lenses looks like focus by wire?
Sounds like SD Card - not a problem if it is a $2k to $2.5k
1 card slot - not a problem if it is a $2k to $2.5k
Have to buy 3 different adapters if one where to make use of drop in ND filters and CPL.

Like many others I am also wondering what is that thing with left and right arrow?:unsure:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
I didn't expect to be too interested in a FF MILC but I have to admit the new lenses coming with it have certainly caught my attention! I will still needed to be persuaded about EVF (that may remain a sticking point for me as I really do prefer OVF), battery life and AF, but yeah, I've got to admit I'm feeling a lot more interested than I expected to be.

Upvote 0
Zed is dead man...
nah. hardly. IMO if it had offered full EF w/o adapter compatibility it would have been more damaging. As it stands it is just a smaller mount than nikon's, farther from the sensor too (could it even see adapters made for R-Z? just wondering. Maybe it is too close, but I'm sure somebody will try and see if it can be done once all the metrics are in for all the appropriate distances and radi). More importantly it doesn't really have anything like a broader diameter for a medium format sensor or some other thing Nikon cannot copy. All 3 systems will have some lenses that are only "there" but not one lens is going to decide things. Not this early. Not for a long time.

I actually think this was the best outcome for sony/Nikon by far. Canon gets to support 3 mounts, gets to start over having to crank out natively mount glass, and as nice as the f/2 lens is, it is not impossible for either to clone and also not enough to really pull users away form the others for most of the bread and butter glass on Nikon is in fact adapted, as it will be on canon. So I don't see either camp leaving their system in mass just for one optic, and like with Nikon, I don't believe this obsoletes every canon DSLR to see a mass migration there.

Upvote 0

herion

Seven stars, seven stones and one white tree
Jul 30, 2018
Yeah, I'm a bit stumped by that as well. The only possible thing I can think of is a zoom switch for a powered zoom lens like the EF-S 18-135 USM with Power Zoom Adapter PZ-E1. Canon also has a Cinema EOS lens or two with power zoom.

My guess is that is the "diopter adjustment" - it's currently right underneath the EVF on the M-series (which is a major pain) - this moves it to a much more accessible position

Upvote 0
I can't see canon charging 3k for a one sd card camera. They are very serious about making pro cameras that are pro grade. Given that you would have to see this as the prosumer model which SHOULD mean around 2k. Maybe a bit more but anything 3k or more would be 'pro' grade and would have 2 slots.(don't quote me on that as Nikon decided it wasn't necessary)
Nikon didn't decide it wasn't necessary. They already admitted they didn't have room in an interview with a fairly well known site. Obviously they are telling themselves it was necessary about now :)

this looks bigger. can it fit two XQD? not sure. It worries me they are not saying. Because after card-gate for Nikon, you'd think everybody would print it in red lettering and flashing signs: two cards!

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Doesn't appear to have a joystick to move the focus points. I'm surprised they would leave that out.

Also, given those specs, does anyone else think this may be the "high-end" model? It almost sounds too good to be true for a $1900 camera from Canon.

It does not look like a high end model to me. It looks more like a 6D type of camera.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Nikon didn't decide it wasn't necessary. They already admitted they didn't have room in an interview with a fairly well known site. Obviously they are telling themselves it was necessary about now :)

this looks bigger. can it fit two XQD? not sure. It worries me they are not saying. Because after card-gate for Nikon, you'd think everybody would print it in red lettering and flashing signs: two cards!
Nikon could have gone with 2 sd cards. SD cards are getting fast enough now to handle 4k and are less prone to failure than CF CFAST or XQD so I don't see why you wouldn't go down that path if you can't fit a cfast and SD in the mall body of a mirrorless.

Upvote 0
Not a super fan of the design but willing to see how it actually feels in the hand.
No Joystick - Ugh
No IBIS - Ugh (See IS on 35mm Macro) Why have it if there was IBIS?
Adapter needed for the new mount - disappointing vs the rumors (I know it was a great dream)

Not sure if I like not have a dedicated button for changing the camera's mode.

Actual tilt screen!!! Yes!!
Decent lens starting line-up - I hope they release more than one with the camera.
Battery life will be questionable but hopefully good. I do like that they use a familiar battery though.

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's my thinking too. While we still don't know the full-specs, I don't see this as the lower-end sub-$2000 offering. I think we're looking at at least $3000 for this one.

It may seem too good to be true, but Canon claimed it would innovate, compete and would not protect its existing product lines. Thus, 5D IV specs in the lesser mirrorless camera. $1,900 seems plausible, especially if Canon believes it must defend it's market position.

Upvote 0
Yeah, Two rings on prime lens, also wondering if that is a control ring. Then the control ring mount adapter makes more sense -- to allow control parameters through the adapter ring when using ef lenses, since obviously they don't have control ring. Interesting.

I agree - it looks a lot like the knurled control ring from my S100 P&S. it would provide a second control for full manual shooting (appature ring) since room on the back was at a premium. It might go along with some of the protocol discussions - a new protocol was needed to handle the extra controls

Upvote 0
IBIS or not. I’m getting worried about this. IS switch on the 35 1.8 and there looks to be a switch of some kind under the image of the camera with 24-105 attached.
Plus if you look at the front of the pic of the R with the lens attached, you can make out Canon Lens RF 24-105mm 1:4 L on the front of the lens and then what looks like IS USM at the end. If so, not looking like IBIS.
IMG_0851.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0