Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

Apr 23, 2018
Most important news: as expected, Canon goes "SLIM" mount and parameters look "really right". 54 mm throat width (same as EF) and 20mm flange focal distance. good to go for the next 20 years!

so, as i said, Canon goes from 2 mirrorslapper mount versions for FF and APS-C (EF, EF-S) to 2 mirrorfree mount versions: RF plus EF-M .

no, there will NOT be 4 mounts in the future. we may well have seen the last new EF- S lens launch already and i dont think we will get many ne EF lenses for the next 3 years, as Canon will be busy getting new RF glass to market.hope there will be an "official road map" as for Nikon Z. would be a "first" for Canon. 3 rd party lens makers will be busy to, trying to reverse engineer new RF mount lens protocol and AF commands. i'd sell Sigma stock if i had any. :)

adapters are fine with me and i like the added drop-in filter functionality. those who want to mount EF "natively" can just leave the adapter on the camera ... or glue it into the mount, so they won't "loose it in the field". :)

camera itself does look "decent": compact, just a bit bigger than I would have liked. but with good power pack LP-E6N.

adapters are fine with me for the transitional phase.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Re: MP counts. If by "this end" you mean your needs, sure. But people with the 5Ds seem real happy. And decent modern glass has no trouble keeping up. So MP counts up to 50 or so make sense for folks who at least dream of really large prints. Which means the new Canon camera isn't speaking to that specific market. Perhaps not an enormous market, but a market. Add to that the folks who like ultralight primes, Leica M glass, and random funky lenses, and you're in business for the nonce. (Canon's 20mm flange distance presumably precludes Leica mount glass and much of the interesting Cosina glass. Oops.)

MP doesn't count any more.

The largest I ever printed was 60x40. Assuming the viewing distance is 108" (1.5 times the diagonal of the print), the required resolution is 60DPI. So the resolution needed is ~8.5MP. It was an architectural shot, so I used a tripod. I could have taken the shot with a 450D, and still crop ~30% of the frame.

One would have to be legally blind to miss the ads covering the side of a building, and that requires a whole lot more than 10MP. But...

1. One out of how many photographers prints larger than poster?

2. I'll bet those photos were taken with medium format cameras to begin with, and there poor in details. E.g. some are needed in the hair and eyes, but the skin was smoothed.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but do I see an extra ring in the front of each lens? Do we now have manual aperture ring on the new EOS R lenses?
Yes, or you can customise it to do other things. Probably the same function ring as on the EF R adapter as well.

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
28-70/2L? Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch! And no mirror box bokeh ball clipping? I can feel the GAS bubbling.
Those red circles and lines to the knurly front ring makes me believe they're aperture control rings.
Another thing that strikes me as odd: That 50/1.2L lens has at least two side switches. IS?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
So MP counts up to 50 or so make sense for folks who at least dream of really large prints.

I have had a 5DSR for some time now, and have never, not once, made a print larger than A3.

The main reasons for buying high MP cameras are:

1) Cropping.
2) Downsampling to reduce bayer effects etc.

and, in my case, creating high-resolution zoomable images for online use.

Upvote 0
Do not understand the point of this camera, except the size! The same specs are in a 5D Mark4 even better! With a big GRIP professionally equipped for a days work in the studio or outside. The Glass is still big, of course with these f-stops. And I have to look into a flickering viewfinder instead of the the actual view through the lens. And again, I can't time a shot with a mirrorless system like it's possible on a DSLR or Rangefinder. But the real downside is the open sensor, accumulating dust with every lens change or pump of the lens. I'm a Photographer and not a sensor cleaner. I mentioned maybe a few points why canon is presenting so late this mirrorless system. I would rather see canons evolution into a different direction, but 4 now they obviously have to follow the zeitgeist ...

Upvote 0
Every lens has a textured ring around the terminal part of the lens barrel before you get to the hood attachment.

canon_2.jpg
canon_5.jpg

Primes have it. Zooms have it. What is it for?

They appear to have gone away from the textured engineering plastic I love (on the 24-70 f/4L, 100L, etc.) to more of a 'glossy matte' finish. Not a fan one bit. Every surface of a lens barrel that doesn't have controls or rings should provide grip. Sigma idiotically has glossy bits near the mount, and that can get slippery! I wonder if this textured surface was a relatively late add after the svelte black eveningwear look of the main surface proved to be too slippery in early reviews.

But maybe that knurled ring ring actually does something and moves. Sets aperture for declicked movie work. Auto-snaps the VF to focus peaking mode or 5-10x manual focusing mode. Who knows?

- A

I guess the knurled ring is for focus as in all M lenses. But I think it also serves as a non-visual indicator when grabbing lenses. With the shape and size of the RF lenses very similar to EF, it could be confusing when having a mix of them in the camera bag. Though, just touching the rim will indicate that this is an RF lens.

Upvote 0

The largest I ever printed was 60x40. Assuming the viewing distance is 108" (1.5 times the diagonal of the print), the required resolution is 60DPI. So the resolution needed is ~8.5MP. It was an architectural shot, so I used a tripod. I could have taken the shot with a 450D, and still crop ~30% of the frame.

One would have to be legally blind to miss the ads covering the side of a building, and that requires a whole lot more than 10MP. But...

2. I'll bet those photos were taken with medium format cameras to begin with, and there poor in details. E.g. some are needed in the hair and eyes, but the skin was smoothed.
I make very large and perfect prints (140x100 cm) with the 5d mark iii. I bought some months ago the 5Dsr so I’m ready to print a billboard! :)
This new mirrorless R seems great. But for now i’m Ok with my beast 5Dsr!

Upvote 0
Best thing they did was removing the mode dial!
I never understood why they kept this even on the 5d series. The 1D series never had it and it was so much better (change modes remotely, no accidental changes) but I also liked the press and hold and move a dial on the 1D series which pretty much locked out all accidental changes of parameters.
Hopes they use this feature to include unlimited (or more) custom modes, custom order of modes, TAv Mode like on Pentax and so on.
But what did they to with the space? It seems to be just the power button!
If this is the case, I hope they include another m5/d800 function dial there on the next generation or do it like on the 1d and place buttons there which we could press in combinations.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
No. Sorry. No.

Canon's love of a market segment is not measured in how much glass it offers to it.

Crop is Canon's bread and butter and absolutely keeps the lights on for them. Rebels are their unit monsters that fuel absurd economies of scale, the M50 is their ascendant darling, etc. Canon loves crop products.

They've just lived through fancier glass for EF-S ten years ago and realized it wasn't the right move for that market. FF became a non-$5000 thing and folks started wondering why they were sinking $1179 into a 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM that would never work on FF. Interest in higher end crop-only glass somewhat died at Canon. That doesn't mean they don't love crop and want to push the hell out of it. They just don't see a great return on investment on pricey EF-S or EF-M glass.

Canon will never be Fuji because they have a booming FF portfolio. Fuji doesn't, so they spoil their people rotten with all sorts of awesome crop glass.

- A

I was going back and forth on whether to get the M50 or wait for the M5 Mark II. Ultimately I decided to wait, and now this. I like the compactness of M, but if the EF-M catalog was so small and under-supported when there was only EF to compete, I don't see it increasing significantly now that it's up against EF and RF.

To me an RF mount APS-C seems like a logical next step, but it's definitely too early to say for sure. And maybe you're right. Maybe market segmentation will just increase and never streamline again. I'm just thinking about all the adapters we'll end up needing: an EF -> M and RF -> M adapter for EF-M bodies; an EF -> RF adapter for R bodies, and an RF -> EF for EF bodies (has it been confirmed that RF will mount natively to EF?). Seems I have a very different idea of what "sexy" means. They've gone from one major mount (EF-S excluded) to three. That's just confusing and it makes one of the major features of buying a Canon lens (knowing it will work on virtually ANY Canon body) a little less appealing.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
Best thing they did was removing the mode dial!
I never understood why they kept this even on the 5d series. The 1D series never had it and it was so much better (change modes remotely, no accidental changes) but I also liked the press and hold and move a dial on the 1D series which pretty much locked out all accidental changes of parameters.
Hopes they use this feature to include unlimited (or more) custom modes, custom order of modes, TAv Mode like on Pentax and so on.
But what did they to with the space? It seems to be just the power button!
If this is the case, I hope they include another m5/d800 function dial there on the next generation or do it like on the 1d and place buttons there which we could press in combinations.

Amen. Cant stand the exposure dial on my M5, constantly bumping it by accident and over/under exposing..

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

You must be legally blind if you don't see that it is common practice to crop and not just print the full frame. Having more megapixels is a real boon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0