Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

Looking at the pictures, there is a second switch below the AF/MF switch on all lenses exept the 28-70. So I think at least the other three have IS.

View attachment 180038
The 50 1.2 and 24-105 seem to be almost the same length. Very interesting since the EF 24-105 is about twice as long as the EF 50 1.2, even with an EF-RF adapter on the 50mm there would be a significant difference. I hope that means the 24-105 is smaller than its EF counterparts?

View attachment 180040
The 28-70 is definitely a lot bigger than the other lenses, although after hearing the f/2 I thought it would be even bigger.

So that textured Ring ist probably called Control Ring?

Considering that the 6D Mark II MSRP is 2600 USD I would be very surprised if this one is under 2k.

The 28-70 f/2L is big, and probably heavy, as expected. But it's a 28-70 f/2L !! That is going to be hard to resist.
Price guesses? $2500?

Upvote 0

bod

CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
The size comparison of Nokishita of the Canon EOS R with a 5D Mark IV is completely wrong!

The most impotent information for me is that the grip seams nearly the same size as the grip of a 5D Mark IV!
Very happy with that!

View attachment 180041

Hope that you are correct as this would be a big improvement ergonomically on other existing mirrorless body options for those EF glass users who want a mirrorless Canon body that will work well ergonomically with larger EF/telephoto lenses (not to mention the RF f2 range).

Upvote 0
and I would say dream on, the 30.3 MP sensor they have inside the R is probably a refined version of the same sensor from the 5D Mark IV. All things being equal, I doubt Canon will polish a sensor from a $3500 body and then offer it for $1900. Not to mention the R&D that went into the rest of the various systems (AF, metering, new mount, etc...)The world doesn't work like that.

Ha, "The world doesn't work like that." Thanks for getting me back to reality.

Your logic hazards a reasonable guess. However 1) the Z6 and a73 are sub $2k and bear 6 fewer megapixels 2) The A7R2 is under 2k and bears over 40 MP 3) I said "thereabouts" 4) Canon does actually NEED prosumers to buy this camera, even if they are CANON, after all. Competitors do still exist, and this camera is unproven.

ETA: The Z7 is $3400, BUT HAS 45.7 MP.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The specs look nice. Not sure if I like the idea of a new mount, but they did succeed in making the entire package much smaller as the images side by side with the 5DIV and lenses show. I'll be interested to see the reviews on this.

I'm happy with my current equipment, but will probably be looking at one of these or its successor in a few years.

Upvote 0
The size comparison of Nokishita of the Canon EOS R with a 5D Mark IV is completely wrong!

I resized Nokishita's images to the correct size and overlayed it. The bigger red shaded camera is the 5D Mark IV. I used the hot shoe as the scale.
It also makes sense from physics that both 24-105 have the same diameter. The length is shorter exactly by the depth of mirror box the EOS R does not have.

The most impotent information for me is that the grip seams nearly the same size as the grip of a 5D Mark IV!
Very happy with that!

View attachment 180041

It makes a lot of sense that the grip has the same size as the hypothetical specs states it will use the LP-E6N battery and the BG connector that goes inside the camera grip will require the same size.

To me, I like the way Canon handled the secrecy till the last moment and avoided costumers anxiety with weeks of speculations.

It's early to tell if the body will have two cards, but I'm 89,9% it will have SD card as market goes first, doesn't make sense to release a new system only for pros at this time, since there are lot of prosumers eager to jump to mirrorless and it will be ok for most to use SD cards readily available everywhere. Remember that 6D classic had only 1, the 7D classic had 1... so I wouldn't hold my hope very much that Canon puts 2 cards in there.

Other than that, I really think this Camera has big shoes to fill and probably won't fill them fully but close.

Upvote 0